PDA

View Full Version : new website

vipah
19-05-2003, 10:50 PM
Since the linux distro of this isnt out yet, im redoing my website completely, and will be hosting a TON of downloads (no really, about 8.5 gigs of stuff) and it will all be hosted using bittorrent. ( http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/ ) So it should have a ton of bandwidth, because I have gathered many of my friends with cable modems that will mirror me and anyone who is downloading will be uploading too. So the point of this is, if it works well, I may be able to be a virtual mirror for svencoop and take a little pressure off of the other servers, especially when a new version of a popular mod comes out, like this one, or cs or dod or something. Tell me what you guys think. ( I will be posting the website soon because I am still in the process of writing it and getting the mirrors together. It should be up in a few days. Oh, and the site its gonna replace is below.

-Dan

EvilPentaPenguin
19-05-2003, 10:59 PM
Wow! Sounds great! :) If this goes as you plan I believe your website may become famous and popular in the Half-Life community. I congratulate you for your website!

Kalashnikovo
20-05-2003, 08:59 PM
myself and some other ppl are already in the works of something like this. Right now our projected name is HL-FILESHACK.COM . If you want to come and help us out we'll be glad to take you aboard. Design of the site is what we are working on right now. If you want to make your own site thats more then fine with us. We're here for the community and thats where our goal lies..

PS... I am going to rape your dog if you dont join us:D

lol...jk...

HEY STOP LOOKING AT ME THAT WAY! I SAID I WAS JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ANOTHER PS. look where i live!

Honking Donkey
20-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Looks at kal in a strange way.......

...hmph...weirdo...

Anyway...Thank god for you Dan...Thank god...

vipah
21-05-2003, 03:10 PM
how many of you would like to help out and host for torrents? (what you do is you download it, and you just keep uploading and if you kill the upload, start it up later, and have it pretty consistant)

Kalashnikovo
21-05-2003, 05:11 PM
My friend is going to be setting up some FTP's for me on ADSL connections. Vipah my e-mail is silentstriker@cscentral.com . Maybe we could put our two setups together to get the best out of them.

vipah
22-05-2003, 08:16 AM
The site is expected to have massive ammounts of bandwidth with good support, so if anyone wants to help by mirroring before the website gets started up, then speak up

vipah
15-06-2003, 10:04 PM
The website is up! There is no forum yet, and the dns is still resolving, but the downloads are complete and working, plz, if you have time and bandwidth, download the files, and share, it will help out a lot =)

http://www.marf-lan.com/

(If you cannot see the site, or connect to the tracker, wait a day and see if your dns has updated then)

-Vipah

cscarlet
18-06-2003, 02:49 AM
:D thats a good use for this application, unfortunatly this program has received slack as it makes it easier to download warez
i could share my bandwidth on my 512k connection, although it won't be up 24/7 its a bit more bandwidth for u lot

cscarlet
18-06-2003, 02:58 AM
just testing it the download speed is very good, but noone is uploading off me :S

Daza400
18-06-2003, 04:30 AM
i will host :). Only models. Why you ask?. Cause i dont want to host to big things so modelers send them this way for hosting

EDIT: HOLY SHIT!! FAST DOWNLOADS THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER!!

Daza400
18-06-2003, 05:00 AM
ok send me the files and ill host em.

cscarlet
18-06-2003, 05:05 AM
depends how many people are downloading at any one time, it would slow down to a crawl from the hosters of the downloads but people downloading it would also upload parts of the file to other people downloading meaning its shared, so hopefully in theaory it should always be fast

Daza400
18-06-2003, 05:15 AM
Ummm how do u use upload torrents etc? cause i dont know hwo to use it. I have made a torrent but how'd people download?

vipah
18-06-2003, 07:35 AM
basically, how bittorrent works is there is a seed, which has the complete file, and it serves out the file to other users, the other users, after completing 1mb or the entire file if under 1mb, start sharing their bandwidth for upload. So the more people there are downloading, the more there are uploading. If you want to help uploading, you can either download each file from the network (this is faster), or you can email me, and ill give you a link to a compressed file (1.04GB) that has all the stuff you need in it. But I would rather you download it off the network, for it is less stress on my lil cable modem. =)

Kalashnikovo
18-06-2003, 09:00 AM
poop, vippah beat the hl-fileshack team to the starting line, dang. Well its looking like a good site so far and the speeds are pretty nice. we hope to have our site launched within a 2-3 week time frame. Linux server will be put up and operated under us. What would perhaps work better is that we have a nearly completly designed site with working forums, etc and you have the resource management skills that most of our team lack.

Perhaps a team up? At the moment it sounds like you only host files for svencoop and files here and there. we host for any mod and any file (as long as they are deemed appropriate and related to hl). The Linux server will launch with the site itself and a combination of the two operations may provide even faster downloads and an all around far better site. Vipah, if you think this is a good idea (the merger of the two sites), let me know.

Here are our server details:

100GB
1.544MB download and upload speeds
Linux
Dedicated T1 line

that is what i remember and hopefully multi-based servers with several smaller mirrors could provide a much faster site for everyone. Oh, and with this package we basically have unlimited bandwith (in accordance that we dont put our host out of business).

cscarlet
18-06-2003, 01:22 PM
bulletfiles uses fixed bandwidth hosting schemes this way we know we wont have the plug pulled on us for using to many resources
has multiple backbone which equals 200mbits (only 100mbits can be used due to server having 100mbit nic)

as soon as i get a higher paid job i will be renting a couple of unix dedicated servers (in the us and uk with cpanel and whm)

one thing that probably wont be better than vipahs site is the fact people in theory with more people downloading would be able to get better download pings from the variety of people downloading around the uk and the fact it avoids using website bandwidth all together (although ur isp might get pissed off by this after a time)

Liface
18-06-2003, 05:38 PM
Great idea, but it won't work unless people are very generous. With BitTorrent, most people will close the window right after their download finishes. So people who want to download an old file will have no one serving it up to them.

vipah
18-06-2003, 06:24 PM
my isp doesnt mind me running a webserver, we (for broadband) had mediaone, which didnt do a good job, atnt, which was horrible and did a bad job, and now comcast, which unblocked all the ports that atnt blocked and cleaned up the servers upstream, and are very nice, i like comcast =)

and as for ppl closing after its done, they do this, but they upload as they download, so it balances out.

Kalashnikovo
18-06-2003, 06:35 PM
while it is true that it would function along those lines scarlet, I think some would be helpful and leave it open, but there would be few who would. While those who dl off the site without going through these forums would just close it after it was done, people on these forums may leave it open because we know vipah as a poster and as a sven player.

Anyways, vipah get back to me on the merger

vipah
18-06-2003, 11:40 PM
im getting a third server on friday (just to letcha guys know)

Kalashnikovo
19-06-2003, 09:01 AM
I guess im being ignored, well good luck with your website vipah

vipah
19-06-2003, 09:27 AM
dude, just email me, im very busy.

viper121@attbi.com

vipah
30-06-2003, 10:04 AM
I have a new email address - dan@marf-lan.com - so if you wanna contact me, there it is.

Felix
30-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Man i would like to have a site like yours it rules. Fast downloads

By the way, i dowloaded theyhunger3 but it came with a thing called theyhuger3.exe.torrent

???

I removed the torrent and it stayed a normal program. But it wont install. Gives error....

ZeroByte
30-06-2003, 10:46 AM
Hmm.. Felix, first, you need to get the Bit Torrent program (the link is in the first post). It should automatically assign .torrents to it automatically.

When you've installed Bit Torrent, double clicking on theyhunger3.exe.torrent should open a bit torrent window which will be the download for the real theyhunger3.exe.

At least it should work like that.

Kalashnikovo
30-06-2003, 10:49 AM
Yes, the first download you get is a scan of the whole file I guess, then the second download goes through to actually get the file itself...

Felix
30-06-2003, 12:16 PM
Well i cant download the Windows Installer.

ARG.

EDIT

I got it!

Ahhw i wish to have a website with torrent. Lucky you Vipah

cscarlet
30-06-2003, 05:59 PM
well you could help contribute to it

vipah
02-07-2003, 10:45 AM
ya, im still looking for more mirrors to get the speed even faster, and I am working on getting phpbb running so i can get a forum up. (covered previously, but what the hey, To download, (read the directions on the page) you get the bittorrent client for your os from their page, then you either download the torrent file or run it off the webpage, and it will download and check the file with a md5sum, which means, the copy you get will be EXACTLY like the one on the server, and if there is an error in transmition, it will replace the faulty part of the file, instead of downloading the entire file again. It also resumes. Bittorent is beautiful, isnt it?)