PDA

View Full Version : Disable The Windows Key For Gaming!

60 Megabyte File
07-06-2003, 09:16 PM
Many of you have had the pleasure of accidently hitting the Windows Key ingame, causing the game screen to be minimized and for you to loose sound until Half-Life is restarted.

This program will disable the Windows key for when your gaming. It can easily be disabled and takes up almost no system resources

http://chorus.inav.net/~bjackson/WKeyKill.zip
Download It Here!

WinKey Killer - Version 1.7
Freeware
Copyright (c) 2000 Brad Jackson
E-Mail: bjackson@plutonium.net
Web site: http://home.plutonium.net/~bjackson
(Check here for the latest version)

Although, I used a knife to flick my Windows key out, and it hit me right in the eye. I must prevent you from making the same mistake. Stay in school.

Honking Donkey
07-06-2003, 09:26 PM
OR!

Open your keybored, and take yer windows keys out.

Thats what i did, works like a charm

60 Megabyte File
07-06-2003, 09:27 PM
But if its a family computer....

TwistedX
07-06-2003, 11:13 PM
LOL, i dont have to worry about the windows key... i dont have one.

Im curently useing and old keybord that dosent have one, sence my old newer keybord broke, keys stoped working(w,a,s,d,space,ect... see a pattern?:D ) And it sucks!

ZeroByte
08-06-2003, 02:03 AM
I love my windows key, never gonna rip it out, faster than moving my mouse to the start button.

Found this program a long time ago and it is quite handy, though I don't seem to use it a lot mainly cause I'm quite lazy to do it. Any idea how to automatically launch it with ASE?

])rStrangelove
08-06-2003, 03:22 AM
I also got rid of my left windows key, but there is another one on the right, so where's the problem ? :rolleyes:

Btw: the more programs are running in the background (like this keydisabler) the less resources are free for your game.

60 Megabyte File
08-06-2003, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by ])rStrangelove
Btw: the more programs are running in the background (like this keydisabler) the less resources are free for your game.

The program was designed to use as little memory, disk space and processor time as is practically possible. It should have virtually no impact on performance with even the slowest 486 or Pentium computers.
The program uses 9.5KB of disk space and 40KB of memory. Other programs available on the Web that also disable the Windows key use hundreds of kilobytes of disk space and 1-3 megabytes of memory. Some even use enormous, bloated runtime libraries that you have to download if you don't all ready have them. And on top of that, they want money for their utility.

Matriarch
08-06-2003, 10:10 AM
i o ly have the problem with sound when someoe messages me on msn
is there a program thats stoips that?

Solid Salamander
08-06-2003, 11:03 AM
I personally never had any problem with the windows key. It allows me to talk on AIM while playing. Also, Matriarch, I don't have MSN but I believe that you could just turn the sound off while you are playing and turn them back on when you aren't.

Lt.Kjilgore
08-06-2003, 11:16 AM
I've used Winkey kill for ages. It's top notch. Just drag a shortcut to the 'startup' folder in your start menu and those bloody keys will never bother you again. :)

cscarlet
08-06-2003, 11:36 AM
until u r in windows, ur mouse have b0rked and u want to get to the start menu

EvilPentaPenguin
08-06-2003, 01:10 PM
My dad disabled my windows key with that ages ago D:.

Lento
08-06-2003, 02:59 PM
Off topic:

Here are some nice windows key shortcuts: :D

winkey + m (minimiza all windows, add shift to maximize all)
winkey + pause/break (control panel/system)
winkey + e (new fileexplorer window)
winkey + r (new "run" window)

There are more, but those are the ones I use the most. ;)

Also, if you have disabled your winkey you can use ctrl + esc instead to access the start menu.

Lt.Kjilgore
08-06-2003, 05:07 PM
If I'm ever in windows and my £60 mouse just suddenly decides to break I assure you trying to access the start menu will be the very least of my worries. :p

Sven Viking
08-06-2003, 06:58 PM
I only have very occasional problems with the Windows key, but when I do, it's horribly annoying... it always happens when you need one more point to win the game, have the enemy flag, and are just a few feet from the capture point, or whatever :(.

I tried ripping mine off, but it actually just made it easier to hit... any movement nearby set it off. Must just be the way my keyboard works.

I heard of this program recently, but had been too busy/lazy to check for a download link. Thanks for posting it.

Lord Booga
08-06-2003, 09:37 PM
I believe the sound-problem is fixed in the next HL patch.

I'll keep my windows key. It's handy (I hate minimizing like 12 windows one by one)

Sven Viking
08-06-2003, 10:23 PM
The program can be set to affect only a general press on the Windows key, by the way... so things like Windows+M still work. You can just enable it when starting a game and disable it afterwards, anyway.

Slidje
09-06-2003, 02:31 AM
a software solution to a hardware problem sounds a bit silly. you can pop those keys back in pretty easily.
besides i use that key all the time to get out of game screens

Sven Viking
09-06-2003, 04:23 AM
Umm, levering the key/s out with a knife and sticking them in later, presuming you don't lose them, is more efficient than clicking a shortcut(?)... Sounds similar to removing your modem from your computer when you want to disconnect from the net :).

You're assuming that everyone has your brand of keyboard, by the way... the keys on my keyboard are pretty awkward to get on and off and, as I mentioned above, taking them off actually causes that key to activate whenever the keyboard is bumped...

About using the Windows key to get out of game screens: That was the problem we were talking about (getting out of game screens when you don't intend to). In any case, Ctrl-Escape works as the Windows key when WKeyKill is running, and Alt-Escape/Alt-Tab always work...

tweak
09-06-2003, 05:02 AM
I ripped my windows key out, and I've lost them. Oh well it was a $3 keyboard.

]SK[
09-06-2003, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by cscarlet
until u r in windows, ur mouse have b0rked and u want to get to the start menu

Press Ctrl + Esc

;)

A|{i|2A
12-06-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 60 MegabyteFile Although, I used a knife to flick my Windows key out, and it hit me right in the eye. I must prevent you from making the same mistake. Stay in school. [/B]

LOL! bl :p

A nice find, i'll be using this baby from now on :D

Aurora
12-06-2003, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the link! Now I can play my old Mario game again ^^ :D

Scarlet spidey
12-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by Slidje
a software solution to a hardware problem sounds a bit silly. you can pop those keys back in pretty easily.
besides i use that key all the time to get out of game screens I assume you don't use drivers?

crummy
16-06-2003, 02:45 PM
WKeyKill.exe uses 3,028k of memory in Windows XP.... what's with that? Thought someone said it just uses a few kb?

cam
17-06-2003, 06:38 PM
lol i never hit the windows key while gaming

crummy
18-06-2003, 02:04 AM
wow, this program is great... disables windows key, except for shortcuts like windows+l, which i use all the time. ta for the heads up!

Bävern
16-05-2004, 02:32 PM
Exactly what you need to avoid following situation: You play a long and hard SC map with a friend(in my case he refuses to play sc on steam cause he can't get hd pak models, so we're using won)on a listened server (you are the server) you accidetaly hits the windows-key tab back in and what do you hear?? NOTHING!! the sound's gone. If you haven't gotten very far this isn't a problem, you can just shut down the server and exit multiplayer mode and the set up the sever again. But if you are 3/4 thruogth the same map starting all over isn't realy an option.

Creeps
16-05-2004, 03:08 PM
18-06-2003 LOOK AT THAT! THIS THREAD IS ALMOST ONE YEAR OLD!

Lymphoid
16-05-2004, 04:26 PM
Old? Yes.

Just thought I'd add -

If you are playing on WON, accedently hit your windows key - and lose your sounds - but don't have the little program running just return to the game, hit alt-tab, or alt-esc, and then return to game again. You'll get your sound back but you'll have this little cursur in the middle. But sometimes i do it just to have the cursur so I know where i'm placing a tripmine or something.

A1win
16-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ZeroByte
I love my windows key, never gonna rip it out, faster than moving my mouse to the start button.

Found this program a long time ago and it is quite handy, though I don't seem to use it a lot mainly cause I'm quite lazy to do it. Any idea how to automatically launch it with ASE?

I never use the start button :D
I use quick launch.
But well, I need Windows key + E to open explorer. :D
Nevertheless, I don't remember ever pressing the windows key by accident.

Originally posted by Lymphoid
Just thought I'd add -

If you are playing on WON, accedently hit your windows key - and lose your sounds - but don't have the little program running just return to the game, hit alt-tab, or alt-esc, and then return to game again. You'll get your sound back but you'll have this little cursur in the middle. But sometimes i do it just to have the cursur so I know where i'm placing a tripmine or something.

Go to the menu again by hitting esc and then resume game and the cursor is gone :p
At least works for me...

Lymphoid
16-05-2004, 06:51 PM
it wont work for mine.

Solid shadow
17-05-2004, 12:34 PM
My god youre all so dumb! All you have to do is to buy a Linux computer. :D

Bävern
17-05-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by [Swe]Sneaker
My god youre all so dumb! All you have to do is to buy a Linux computer. :D
A better idea would be to download linux(it is legal for all I know) lern how to use it an install it on your curent computer

mikker
17-05-2004, 12:50 PM
what about just stop accidently pressing the windows key?

Corporal Calhoun
17-05-2004, 12:53 PM
I don't have a problem with this I luckily have a keyboard that has only one Windows key and It's on the left side.

Originally posted by mikker
what about just stop accidently pressing the windows key?

What? how can you stop Accidently pressing the windows key If it's an Accident?

Solid shadow
17-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Bävern

A better idea would be to download linux(it is legal for all I know) lern how to use it an install it on your curent computer
Dude, i was being ironic. Linux sux and Windows rulz. Thats it.

cyberdaemon
18-05-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Matriarch
i o ly have the problem with sound when someoe messages me on msn
is there a program thats stoips that?

yea , disconnect and close the msn while playing :D

Originally posted by Creeps
18-06-2003 LOOK AT THAT! THIS THREAD IS ALMOST ONE YEAR OLD!

roflmao , i never look at things like time when post has been made.