PDA

View Full Version : someone is using my cd-key!

Aurora
09-06-2003, 08:23 AM
Someone in svencoop is using my cd-key! Is there any way of tracking the person using it?His using it daily!

Malek
09-06-2003, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately no.

Here's the thing... basically it's possible to extract CD Keys from the registry remotely thru a variety of hacking attempts. I won't go into detail but a big backdoor to most systems lies either in NETBeui or Windows File Sharing (Commonly referred to as Port 139.) Hence, Disable them both... more the NETBeui then anything else.

That might be one case... but to answer your question, no, there isn't a way to track them unless you hacked the main WON servers, and naturally that'll piss off a major corporation.

Course I could be wrong, e-mail valve and ask...

Aurora
09-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Well I haven't hacked Valve, but I have been hacked several times... By an unnamed ***** who takes his revenge by hackeing cause he was raped................

But I haven't been hacked lately cause I got a firewall. I can't make servers (that others could see/join) in HL tho :(... Does Gunman CHronicles cd-keys work in halflife?

AntiBlockerzGrunt
09-06-2003, 09:51 AM
Here`s a tip if you encounter the "Your CD-Key is currently in use, please try again later" error. Exit Sven Co-Op/Half-Life and restart your PC and then run Sven Co-Op again. Most of the time, it`ll work, and allow you to play again.

Most of the time, the CD-Key error is caused by the player using the CD-Key leaving a server too soon for the WON Servers to "recognise" that he/she is no longer playing.

Think : Did you give away your CD-Key to a friend once? Chances are that you did not realise what it`d cause and just give it to the guy. :)

Aurora
09-06-2003, 10:16 AM
Well when I get the error I have usually timed out of a server, or SvenCoop crashed.

AntiBlockerzGrunt
09-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Thats probably the problem. You abruptly exited a server/game with no proper disconnections, thus rendering the WON servers be unable to detect your disappearance and will see your attempt of entering a server as someone else using your CD-Key and thus not allow you through.

A quick way to fix it is to simply restart Windows. It may be a little bit time-wasting, but thats the 100%-proven-true method. :)

Honking Donkey
09-06-2003, 01:46 PM
do u have blue shift? If so, use that, because my bro uses it and it works for him

AntiBlockerzGrunt
09-06-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah, like what Honking Donkey said. If you have trouble going online with your current CD-Key, change to an alternate one(if you have one, but you do not have to buy an expansion for Half-Life just to get its CD-Key).
I recently switched my CD-Key into my Blue Shift counterpart and I encounter no problems whatsoever.

Still, to change your CD-Key, you`d probably require some thorough uninstalling and reinstalling which could mess up some files if you are trying to "keep" a file. If you are not in a rush to change it, then I suggest you wait `till you really encounter a problem so severe that you`ll have to format the PC or reinstall Half-Life completely before changing. :)

Mr. Garrett
09-06-2003, 02:13 PM
Just a suggestion, contact valve if it actually does appear to be stolen. *IF* you can prove you own HL somehow, they may deactivate your old key and give you a new one. Not too sure though. Blizzard did that for someone I know, but he had to have proof that it was a legally purchased copy and he had to convince them that it was indeed stolen.

Lord Of The P!ngs
09-06-2003, 05:06 PM
my wonid is two numbers shorter then anyone else wonid i don't know how it happend.

Solid shadow
09-06-2003, 05:21 PM
"His uses it daily"

Do you get the cd-key error on every server you try to join?

Because if yes i dont think the cd-key is stolen.
Isn't it so that several players can have the same cd-key and be playing on servers at the same time.

Lets say that you can choose between 5 servers A, B, C, D and E. If the guy that got the same cd-key is on B, you still can play on A, C, D and E.

I think this is how it is, but correct me if im wrong.

your evil twin
09-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Well, five people can play with the same cd key on a lan server, which I think is rather nice of valve. I've never played more than a 2 player lan (it was physically impossible to get half-life to run on school computers, despite the fact they'd run UT, quake 3, RTCW, GTA3, Hitman 2, some star wars thing, all of which were installed by different people over a period of 2 years :)), but apparently you can have five friends all playing counterstrike against each other using the same cd key. That only works with lan, though... but maybe two people can play with the same cd key on different servers. I thought the whole point of the WON id thing was to stop that from happening, though, you log in to won before you even connect to a server.

If it only happens sometimes, and it's after half-life crashed or you abruptly disconnected, then that's the cause of the problem. If you switch on your computer, log on to the internet, start up half-life, try to join a server and get the cd key error, then someone else is playing with your cd key.

Sven Viking
09-06-2003, 09:28 PM
I'm pretty certain Gunman Chronicles CD keys work in HL.

If it turns out your CD key really has been stolen, by the way, Sierra tech support /used/ to do something about it. Don't know if they still do, though.

Lord Booga
10-06-2003, 08:37 AM
CD key checking is disabled for LAN servers (since typically LAN's can't contact the won master servers).

If your CD key is in use anywhere, you can't play, mod or server doesn't matter.

WonID's are generated from, but not entirely based on, CD keys, so they could be unique.

If say Steam bans your CD key tho, you're in serious shit :P

Changing your CD key is easy as changing it in the registry. (I think, I've never needed to change mine).

On a side note, you can change your WonID (with a new CD key), but you can't change it TO anything :)

BurnOut64
10-06-2003, 12:54 PM
You can use a CD-Key from any Half-Life engine game. That means Gunman, Counter-Strike, BS, DOD, etc.

They all connect to the WON server to get validated, so that means all have to have the same CD-Key / WONID system. (Even though the CD-Key is validated by the client, its related to the WONID, right?)

evangelion unit 0
11-06-2003, 10:15 AM
ill give you my gunman one if you want it

Sph!nx
11-06-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by BurnOut64
You can use a CD-Key from any Half-Life engine game. That means Gunman, Counter-Strike, BS, DOD, etc.

They all connect to the WON server to get validated, so that means all have to have the same CD-Key / WONID system. (Even though the CD-Key is validated by the client, its related to the WONID, right?)

Almost ... got all the games. I tested it with my opfor, but that wonID did not work.

KelpFarm2000
11-06-2003, 09:45 PM
I'm pretty sure if you give them a scan of your CD case with the stolen serial, they have enough proof to give you a new one/deactivate old one. Of coarse, they might not have the power to deactivate the old one, which, to them, would mean giving you a freebee. (Not gunna happen)

I tried that scan thing with windows XP cuz some hacker used warez to get my key b4 i bought the software.. Windoh's is pretty nice once you look past the flaming, charred clump of pure evil that smuthers their encrused dehieveled scales. Ahem..

Aurora
12-06-2003, 04:29 AM
My gunman cdkey worked. Thx

BurnOut64
12-06-2003, 04:43 PM
OPFOR uses a different system.

Since its a mod, it doesnt have its own EXE file. Any mod can be installed without a need for a key, but since OPFOR was a retail mod they had to make a way to be sure you actually bought the game, and didn't just download it for free.

Thats why the CD key prompt is outside of the game.

So, it uses your regular HL key for running, but to install it you have to have the special OPFOR key.

I bet this is the reason why Blue Shift was a standalone game. That way they could have the actual HL program itself verify the key, instead of having a seperate program do it.

Qwerty
17-06-2003, 10:46 PM
Hint hint, ever thought of a Half-Life CD Key Changing program? Go to www.google.com and search for HL CD Key Changer and its the first one on the top.

Aurora
18-06-2003, 02:59 AM
I change my CD-key myself from the registry.

PickleHead
10-07-2003, 03:17 AM
Yeh theres a simple registry key in there... in plain sight... easy to change :D