PDA

View Full Version : The Desolation Series Final

mrfranswa
24-06-2003, 05:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Yes, it's final. The Desolation SERIES will be released VERY shortly, (more like when Fortune gets on, so I can upload the godly large 6 mg file to his site).

Some things about each map:

Desolation, Part 1:

- THE NEW DESOLATION IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THE OLD DESOLATION. R_speed bugs have been fixed, (now it's MUCH MUCH LOWER! Trust me on it!). You will barely reconize the resemblence between it's predicessor. The old one sucked dong compared to the new.

- Desolation part 1 will PROBOBLY go through one more r_speed fix when it is released in 3.0. Even though it's not bad how it is now, I could probobly get it a bit lower, so the very low-end machines will have absolutely no problem.

- There is four diffrent paths, and two seperate directions which you can take. These paths are COMPLETELY RANDOM.

- Random items/weapons are in the map. There are also a few secret weapons which you can get if you find them. Look around the entire map in every nook and cranny, and you may find them :).

- The NEW desolation part 1 is a lot easier to play then the old version. Only 1/2 the monsters repeatively respawn in some areas. However, the map runs heavally on teamwork. If you don't work together, then it will be very VERY difficult. Currently, I can beat it by myself, so it's not THAT hard.

- There are random monsters.

- Like the old version, all humans are on yoru side, (so don't kill them. They make it MUCH easier), while all aliens are bad.

- Healing your teammate NPC's is highly advised. In some area's, they are fairly detrimental to you beating it, without having to die over and over again, (an example is a HW Grunt can take down a babygarg fairly fast. If he dies, you will have a lot of problem taking them down by yourself).

- There will be lots of action which requires teamwork. A few puzzles, (including the infamous, "Tempt the Garg!", game), will require at least two people to beat the map. However, if your VERY skilled in the Art of Sven Co-Op, you can theoretically beat it by yourself without using any cheats.

- Even though it may SEEM like some monsters constantly respawn, all but a very select few do.

Desolation, Part 2:

- Even though it doesn't feature random monsters, (some are, but it isn't used concurrently through the map), random weapons, or random paths, (very hard in this map to put in more than one route without making an entirely new map practically), it DOES feature the Chrysalisk. In 2.1 it won't feature new sounds, however it will in 3.0, (because I will be able to program it).

- NPC's will play a larger role. You will spend a lot of time trying to make sure they don't die.

- Some NPC's are vital, and if they die you lose.

- To counteract the usual, "I'm a loser sack of crap newbie, so I'm gonna bash the guys brain in so we lose. Wow, is that fun or what! I have no life!", syndrom every svencoopian has at one point or another; at the beginning of the map I have two buttons. One says ON, the other says OFF. You can't start the map unless you choose either ON or OFF. If you press ON, the map plays like clockwork. Pressing OFF will remove the triggers for you to lose, so if the special NPC's die, then nothing bad happens.

- Lots of fun ambience sounds to aid the fun-factor of the game.

Hopefully, I won't need to add anything else, and everyone will think it's cool. So far I've only recieved good reviews, so hopefully you will find it fun too.

(Dl spot coming VERY soon)

[EDIT]: For some reason, I can't upload screenshots, so you guys are just gonna hafeta take my word for it.

mrfranswa
24-06-2003, 07:11 PM
heres the dl link:

http://wolfdrag00ns2.tripod.com/

Just dl desolation.

goanna
25-06-2003, 06:37 AM
I like the changes; lighting, jump removed, less monsters, a few paths. Definitely much better.

seb
25-06-2003, 07:51 AM
Temporarily Unavailable

The Tripod page you are trying to reach has exceeded its hourly bandwidth limit. The site will be available again in 4 hours!

argh *rolls thumbs*

Fortune2
25-06-2003, 08:29 AM
Sorry Bout that. It does that it seems after every 3 to 5 downloads an hour...

It'll be better once I'm working again and I can pay for more bandwidth...

Edit - To tell the Truth I may just do it today.

The-Real-Game
25-06-2003, 10:31 AM
Closed the poll, it's not needed as the whole point of this forum is for feedback etc..

Solid Salamander
25-06-2003, 11:30 AM
I really like the way this map was done! My only complaints are that the alien model for the bullsquid(As cool as it was) had kind of strange animations and sometimes it would come down from the ceiling and jump back up again :wtf: and the ending(Not really a complaint but I just didn't like it). Besides that, the maps pretty good!

mrfranswa
25-06-2003, 11:39 AM
The poll IS used for feedback,

Btw what is the problem with polls? They do absolutely nothing, except give you something to vote for. If it horrendiously killed bandwith, or took up space, i'd be bad, however I'm simply using a poll to get peoples opinions. that IS the reason for them right?

btw, the problem is with the model maker. I mean, if you think it's more cool, I could allways just use the origional bullsquid model.............

The-Real-Game
25-06-2003, 02:09 PM
Okey.

So you've put your map into a mere 5 categories?
Firstly "Sorry, I'm a loser and never played the older version"
I'm sure this will provide you with great help for improving your map.

A poll that just gives you a choice of saying whether the map is Great, Good or bad is such a massive amount of help, seeing as it provides you with no way of knowing WHY they thought the map was good / bad, whatever.

But get this, there's this thing called map showcase, which you've posted your map in. Guess what happens in this magical forum?? Yes thats right! People post FEEDBACK on your map. Thus removing the need for a poll.

Anyway, I'll try and download the map as soon as the site comes back up, then I'll give you feedback.

mrfranswa
29-06-2003, 10:37 PM
just curious, when everyone else plays, is there a lack of env_zenmakers? There should be a lot of beaming in dudes in this map, but I get reports that some people dont get it.

Slidje
17-07-2003, 08:08 AM
very good map. very faithful to the original half life single player maps.

highly reccomend it

The-Real-Game
17-07-2003, 01:06 PM
Played through it again.

I still like it, the gameplay is pretty good throughout, alot of good battles. Texturing could be improved in some areas however. Architecture is good as well.

However, I can't see where to go once you get to the bit with the two friendly assassins battling against the never ending enemies. I think I must of missed something, as I can see theres one door that leads to another section, but its locked and theres piece of rock that looks light it might dissapear or something. Anyone know what I've missed?

goanna
18-07-2003, 05:44 AM
I ran into same problem. Only thing I didn't care for in both maps: objectives not clear enough. I had the same feeling "I must of missed something". Restarted a couple of times but didn't figure it out. Hate it when I can't finish a map. (Only second time).

Elfkin
18-07-2003, 05:51 AM
I am going to have to agree with TRG and goanna...

Excellent map, but how do you get past the area
with the friendlys vs the endless respawn monsters?

Gauss jumping didn't help any...

Spent alot of time healing the good guys waiting
to see if it was a timed thing...

Cool map!!!

Solid Salamander
18-07-2003, 12:30 PM
How to deal with the neverending enemies: Wait and fight for a really long time and then you will eventually hear the vox saying something and the commander tells you to go down to the power generator. At that time, leave a player or two to defend Commander Red (One of the two massns) and send the rest back to the beginning. A door that was locked before will be open and you can continue the level from there. Just make sure Commander Red doesn't die.

Elfkin
19-07-2003, 01:14 AM
Thanks, Solid Salamander.

Guess I didn't wait the 'really' long part of
the 'long time' :)

mrfranswa
22-07-2003, 08:09 PM
yeah I get that a lot. The respawning monsters actually stop after a while, (if your a complete idiot). It just takes a very VERY long time. Like, 100 spawn each. I was going to change it, but it's merely a, "I havent waited long enough" thing over, "I cant find it".

As for an exact time, it's 5 minuts.