PDA

View Full Version : Possible downtime

cscarlet
27-06-2003, 12:43 PM
Anyone linking to BuLLetFile Downloads may notice some downtime or a Bandwidth exceeded page soon until the end of this month, this is due to thousands of people downloading the sven video and Postal 2 updates (not full game u tit). Currently its exceeded by 4 gigs and its still up, :D but i expect the webhost will notice sooner or later, hopefully later

Sven Viking
27-06-2003, 09:08 PM
As long as they don't just start charging you for the additional bandwidth (?)

cscarlet
28-06-2003, 11:55 AM
well there is no option to buy more bandwidth, its just one plan 500 megs and 30 gigs of bandwidth http://www.myqth.co.uk is the service
I am currently making enquiries to them because its usage is up to 39 gig now :S

Creeps
28-06-2003, 12:42 PM
http://www.ionhosting.com/index.php?mode=product#promo

if you want more :)

cscarlet
28-06-2003, 01:19 PM
i've already paid for this for this whole year

cscarlet
30-06-2003, 04:39 AM
:( after using 14 gigs over bandwidth (due to running with scissors not removing the link from the patch page like i asked) i have been pointed to a page where i can purchase more bandwidth, which is £8 per 5 gigs, I'm looking into whether this just covers one month or not otherwise this month will cost me 24 quid :(

Sven Viking
30-06-2003, 05:22 AM
If it's a page where you are /able/ to buy more bandwidth, and there's nothing in the contract to say you will be billed for excess bandwidth, you shouldn't theoretically have to pay for the excess unless you want to... I don't know the details of the situation, though.

cscarlet
30-06-2003, 04:02 PM
basically the website should have been displaying an out of bandwidth page after it used the allocated amount of bandwidth, which it did not, i've contacted the sales team and they havent got a clue, so i'm gonna leave it, its there fault they did not disable the website sooner, and increases my hunger for a dedicated server as generally they charge 50 cents per gig instead of a silly amount thats more than the plan is, i could buy another plan from myqth and it would still be cheaper than buying the 15 gigs seperatly

Sven Viking
30-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Yeah, it can be a bit crazy... a bit like ADSL deals over here. Some ISPs charge $25 for the first ten gigabytes, and 20c per megabyte after that. That's about $2,000 for an additional 10 gigs.

Nobody'll purposely use gigabytes at $200 each, so the only way it could be profitable to them is if they're hoping people will exceed their limits accidentally. Otherwise they'd be best off witha price that some customers might actually be willing to pay. Better to sell something at a profit than fail to sell it at an insanely huge profit...

cscarlet
01-07-2003, 03:28 AM
btw
BuLLetFiles is now down after an admin looked at the account in question and found that had a couple of problems with it, this was due to it changing control panel software from Ensim to Cpanel.
When will it be up again?
I dunno, the bandwidth usage should have been reset to 0 this morning :(