PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone actually Co-op anymore??

Woodsie
11-07-2003, 02:11 PM
Hey All,

Just asking a simple question as to whether your a run-and-gunner or a stay-together type of player??

I like to stay together and advance as a squad if/when I can and usually only run-and-gun to catch up to anyone else playing when I'm killed.

BTW, I run a server late nights <look for Woodsie38 if you want to join> for 6-8 people and the regulars there are "Kisinith", "Calipidgious", "BRUCE of No Hampton", and myself included but most of the players that have jumped on in the past have been team-oriented which makes it fun to play.

ZeroByte
11-07-2003, 02:46 PM
Seems to me that the less players there are on the server, the more they play together. The last really good coop game I had, it was like 2-3 people in the server and we attacked together, healed each other a lot and communicated more. Although I do remember having a few games where there were 8 players moving together... small games seem much more memorable for me though.

crummy
11-07-2003, 10:19 PM
yeah thats actually really true. i suppose with more people its just harder to keep em all under control or whatever... plus, if you dont have as many people, its gonna be more difficult, so you have to work together.

evangelion unit 0
12-07-2003, 04:36 AM
i quite often play on weustchenbude and usually the good players (top 5-8 and some n00bs who come along for the ride) stick together but not many people heal unless they need it themselves

Snoopy
12-07-2003, 05:05 AM
I usually run around with my shotgun, occasionally healing people, if I get ahead of the group, I turn around, take out my medikit and scream "MEDIC!" which usually gets peoples attention, so they come over to heal me and I can heal them, other times they just run away if I try to take out my medikit and heal them. I'm pretty much a field medic, I don't think most people know that if you have full health, you can fill up your medikit at a health refill stations. I always do that when I see a healing station and I have full health. Usually I stay in the middle of the group and give support fire, the only time I move up is if my team can't figure a puzzle out, need help killing a big enemy, or someone near the front needs healing. Servers, I usually play at hellzkitchen, but I play NS and BF1942(more specificly, Desert Combat) more than I play SC.

Sph!nx
12-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Ahhh don't worry about the future of co-op ..

Sven has 'leaked' some info here :P

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13694

And I hate sven :p ;) ... he always gives us just enough info to keep us interrested, but just not enough to really know what they are up to .

Puchi
12-07-2003, 06:12 AM
i am both..
the best game i had where on bygames a few month ago, 4 players, ETC as map.
without any communication we finished the maps together with no death (!)
that was really cool..
but when i'm on bob~o~buds, i'm a run-and-gunner (okay, the serversettings permit it)

Shakeno
12-07-2003, 01:58 PM
i'm a stay-together guy, I love acting and making this realistic :) I love playing and doing reaslistic things whit my friends because that is funniest!

Daedalus081
13-07-2003, 05:26 PM
Small games are the best. You don't miss out on any action, and it really makes you work together and watch each other's backs.

Mr. Garrett
14-07-2003, 08:53 AM
Thanks for mentioning your server. I play the game for very reason of being able to co-op, as most do or originally did. Its unfortunate that many people don't play that way anymore.

Some of you may recall my effusive rant about maps with crazy jumping puzzles, and mainly how some of them hinder co-op play by separating the players. I'm not going to force the issue again, but you know what I'm talking about.

I like the way SC works, but I think if there were more of a punishment for dying, co-op play would be more frequent. As an example, Diablo 2 is designed for multiplayer co-op play, however, as things often are, the battle net is a mess of lone-wolves who join MP games and try to tear through everything faster and more efficiently then everyone else. The hardcore characters(die once and your character is deleted), though, have a much stronger sense of cooperation and loyalty. Permanent death in a game is a little extreme, but its just an example to point out how it is generally played differently.

Maybe its just a stupid idea, as a good counter-example would be Counter-Strike, which athough you have to sit out the rest of the round upon death, it doesn't seem to stop people from running off in 8 separate directions, which is odd with only 6 people on the team and trying to earn credit for killing every member of the other team themselves.

Perhaps if one couldn't respawn themselves, maybe their teammates would have to go back to the last spawn point and do something to revive them, that would add extra initiative to work together to stay alive. Just food for thought, though I try not to do too much of that on a Monday...

Sph!nx
14-07-2003, 09:13 AM
Well don't worry, I am sure that the team will make it so that there is more co-op required for good gameplay in Svenco-op2 , (or in 3.0 ... I do hope so)

Kalashnikovo
14-07-2003, 01:55 PM
I think the smaller the group, the more they work together because you have more monsters and just one gunning at em. Basically you don't want to run ALL THE WAY BACK if you die so you want to keep your teammates close and your enemies closer (get your teammates to hate you and hide behind some monsters).

Slidje
15-07-2003, 05:31 AM
i like to slap teamates to their deaths and slay people i dont like for the most trivial of things

jynxdaddy
15-07-2003, 05:35 AM
svencoop seems to only work when there are only a few people playing.

For somereason there are ALOT of noobs playing svencoop :(

Sph!nx
15-07-2003, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by jynxdaddy

I guess it's because SvenCo-op has been alot on PHL lately

Psychos
15-07-2003, 07:43 AM
jezz u guys must have been lucky....me and my friends hardly eva played a decent game of Sven Coop....the best games we played when there was just us in a svr and no one else that way we could play it the way we thought it was fun... but when other ppl join u guys dont do nothing thats remotely team based....the only thing that i even consider to be team based in Sven Coop is the Medic ability. pretty limited.....wats the point in adding all that crap if the chemistry of the game hardly works

Mr. Garrett
15-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by jynxdaddy
svencoop seems to only work when there are only a few people playing.

Well, everybody has to start somewhere, man. You can't be too hard on people who are new to the mod, although you'd think the name would give away the concept. Still, I think some changes in the penalties to the player and/or group upon a player's death would help along cooperative play.

evangelion unit 0
16-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Garrett

Well, everybody has to start somewhere, man. You can't be too hard on people who are new to the mod, although you'd think the name would give away the concept. Still, I think some changes in the penalties to the player and/or group upon a player's death would help along cooperative play.

he doesent mean newbies he means the twats who ruin the game for everyone else ALL THE FUCKING TIME

Felix
16-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Well, co-op still exists, just find the right people. When i play with Newt and Irregular we coop. And we coop good.

Snoopy
16-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Felix
Well, co-op still exists, just find the right people. When i play with Newt and Irregular we coop. And we coop good.

Where do you guys play, I'm tired of having 200 points more than anyone else because they have no idea where to go, and when I try to show them they don't listen.

Felix
16-07-2003, 01:00 PM
I play on my server, -=The Gate=- Currently its turned off since my connection is going worse (stupid cable) Soo i just turn it on for a day or two. Even if server is empty. When i see somoane joining. I join too.

FuNiOnZ
16-07-2003, 01:21 PM
I play on a daily basis on my own private server with friends

Black_Ops_ViRuZ
16-07-2003, 02:14 PM
almost everybody in my school plays svencoop..

Woodsie
16-07-2003, 04:05 PM
any and everyone is welcome to jump onto my server "Woodsie38" when it's running...as far as giving people "the boot" when it comes to being p.i.t.a.es, I leave it up to voting where majority rules