PDA

View Full Version : Feature list questions:

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 05:02 AM
Post any questions about features on the feature list (http://www.svencoop.com/featurelist.php), here... e.g. "Can the global camera be used to do (this)", or "What does 'No Reset Entity' do?".

jynxdaddy
15-07-2003, 05:29 AM
Is the blood color choice an RGB value?

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Nice question.

I'm afraid it only has Red/Yellow/None settings, mostly because there are only red/yellow blood splat decals.

jynxdaddy
15-07-2003, 05:34 AM
Oh i thought the blood was grayscale.
Put it on the request list :D
good job on reply time :eek:

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 05:39 AM
The decal textures are actually grey, but not true greyscale... they have 255 greys and one colour to specify their hue. It's possible that we'll be able to work around this at some point, but for now red/yellow/none is good enough.

Sph!nx
15-07-2003, 05:46 AM
Well Sven You read and commented in this thread:

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13694

Is there a chance that perhaps this could be in 3.0 (or at least part of it?)

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 05:55 AM
Afraid not... there are a lot of other features it has to rely on to work well, and those aren't in SvenCo-op (would take ages to add them all). They're planned for SC2, though, and they'll allow things that're quite similar to what you're talking about.

TrEmPlEr
15-07-2003, 05:59 AM
i have in 2.1 a error with the RPG , when i will replace it with a other model , i can see the model but i don´t get the right model it get the old one , i hope you understand what i mean, and can test it or fix it . THX

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 06:28 AM
If you mean what I think you mean, yup, it's fixed.

- Fixed in-ability to model replace rocket launchers

Felix
15-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Hey. About the new commands that NPCS responds. You know. Those are new. Well they only work if we have "selected" a Npc right???

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 07:16 AM
They only affect NPCs and/or player-allied monsters that're currently following you.

tdw
15-07-2003, 07:18 AM
I was wondering about this

"Human grunts can use/abandon controllable turrets (func_tanks) of their own volition, as necessary"

At the moment I have a grunt set to target a turret when he dies. Then once that grunt is dead the turret no longer works and it's shut off for the rest of the map.

If I'm reading this correctly a turret can be set to only shoot when a grunt is using the turret? It doesn't need to be linked to a grunts death to turn it off when the grunt that was using the turret dies.

It sounds very cool to me.

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 07:36 AM
Human grunts now actually use their AI to just run over to a controllable turret and start using it if it's useful to them, and to just run off and leave it if their enemies walk out of the turret's field of view.

Different grunts can re-use the same turret, and friendly grunts will use turrets to attack their enemies (they won't attack players or anything).

This only works with turrets that can be controlled by players (and it's possible that you might have to try the func_tankcontrols and the nodes in a couple of different positions to get it to work well, I haven't tested that). It works with existing maps we've tried, though, just automatically... Valve maps, for example.

tdw
15-07-2003, 08:17 AM
Thanks a bunch. I'll defiantly be trying that feature out :)

One more question please.

"Free Roaming option for mappers - Monsters can roam a level that has info_nodes"

Is the Free Roaming option per-entity, or a 'on/off' switch for the whole map? If you can select Free Roaming per-entity can it be used with a squadmaker?

thanks

PD-KC
15-07-2003, 08:20 AM
"Env_spritetrain"? Tutorial perhaps? Or is it just a sprite working like a func_train?

"Func_doors can now use switchable textures." What does this mean? The door changes texture like chargers?

No ladder sound replacement? :(

"Option to disable dynamic collision boxes added for monsters." Passable monsters? :p

"Fixed bug with friendly monsters talking to player when shot, even though dead." Hahaha! I remember an echo of barney saying "I only take so much, and no more." after being blown to smitherees by 4 satchels. :D

"When doing victory dances, monsters no longer ignore grenades." Awwww why not... :D

"Fixed ability to kill monsters in scripted_sequences even if "No Interruptions" was checked in WC." What if you want it to be killable? :confused:

"Fixed bug with deaths not counting when killing self." It was a bug?! :eek:

Grunts with turrets? Hmm... Leprechaun Series just got easier. :)

BTW did you fix the bug where friendly and enemy monsters don't fight if players aren't on the same vis-block or near the place? Or did I miss it... :wtf:

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Roaming: It's per-entity, and it works with squadmakers... there's a map variable to set the default, though (so you could have a map with roaming on by default, but a few monsters that didn't roam... or a map with it off by defualt, and some monsters that do roam).

env_spritetrain: That's the idea, yup. It's identical to OpFor's env_spritetrain (Sniper set it up like this so it'd work when playing existing OpFor maps in SC). Info here:
http://collective.valve-erc.com/index.php?ent=env_spritetrain&game=opfor

No ladder sound replacement?: Per-entity sound replacement should work for that (you'd set "soundlist" to the applicable sound-replacement file in the ladder entity)... I haven't actually tried it with ladders, admittedly. Sniper would know.

Even if it didn't work per-entity for ladders, the global sound replacement system could be used.

Re: Dynamic collision boxes: Nope, it's just that we have a system to automatically adjust monsters' collision box scale based on the size of the model (so if you you have a huge alien slave, the game attempts to adjust the collision box to fit). This doesn't always work well for all model-replacements, though, so we added an option to disable it in case.

Re: What if you want it to be killable?: Then don't enable No Interruptions.

Re: Players on same visblock: I'm pretty sure that's changed, 'cos I don't think the monsters would roam properly if it hadn't been. Sniper was working on it at one stage, anyway. I'll have to check with him.

PD-KC
15-07-2003, 09:26 AM
But if I don't enable 'No interruptions' the monster won't continue to the next scene if blocked by a player, and the player leaves.

Sniper
15-07-2003, 09:28 AM
You can replace the ladder sound on your map. However, as Sven mentioned, you'll need to do it globally.

Ladders do not emit the sounds themselves when you use them. When you're on a ladder, the player has a flag enabled in the code that tells whether or not ladder sounds should be played when moving. Thus, it's impossible to do it per-ladder.

Sniper
15-07-2003, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by PD-KC
But if I don't enable 'No interruptions' the monster won't continue to the next scene if blocked by a player, and the player leaves.

The 'No Interruptions' flag was actually broken at some point in Sven Co-op's code so it stopped working like it does in Half-Life. This was fixed.

If you want your monster to move to a location no matter what, but still be able to die, check the 'Override AI' flag.

Navck
15-07-2003, 11:51 AM
What about the new weapons? Its not on the list

Snowcarve
15-07-2003, 12:51 PM
The new weapons are left off the list, for example, because there's still some tweaking to do on them (and also because it'll be more of a surprise this way)...

[s]smokey[s]
15-07-2003, 01:23 PM
hellos peeps just wondering but maybe i over looked it but where r we to download the 3.0 version?? that came out today

also off topic a little sven viking i noticed your icon is bersek has u head when season 2 if ever comming out to usa? just thouhg i would ask seems no one knows

oh question with this upgrade has there been any changes regarding use of certen medamods like snipers 1.13 or mr majic's dll with the sc ents

The-Real-Game
15-07-2003, 01:43 PM
To [s]smokey[s]

3.0 isn't actually out, the news post was just showing the changes included with 3.0.

WassDog
15-07-2003, 01:45 PM
I know your not talking about the weapons just yet but I thought I might be able to get a little bit of info out of you...

Is the nomad going to be in 3.0?

EvilPentaPenguin
15-07-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by WassDog
I know your not talking about the weapons just yet but I thought I might be able to get a little bit of info out of you...

Is the nomad going to be in 3.0?

EDIT: Nevermind

Lt.Chicken
15-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Could someone please post a link to info on this 'nomad'? Ive seiriously never even seen what the gun looks like.:(

Uncle
15-07-2003, 03:43 PM
How will the env_fog function work? What can we control; colour of fog, density, etc.? How is it placed into a map, as a brush (like the sky)? Can it be turned on and off? Can we set it to only be certain heights (eg knee-deep)? Will it lag in big spaces? How will the fog react to player flashlights and light sources in the map? Can it make clouds? (that'll be cool for Xen 'island-in-the-sky' type maps.) Can it move?

I like the grenade-behaviour changes. Hopefully the AI is no longer the coward it is now against grenades. However, I saw this:

- When doing victory dances, monsters no longer ignore grenades

What the heck is a victory dance?! Is that something new, or did I just never notice it before...

EvilPentaPenguin
15-07-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Uncle
How will the env_fog function work? What can we control; colour of fog, density, etc.? How is it placed into a map, as a brush (like the sky)? Can it be turned on and off? Can we set it to only be certain heights (eg knee-deep)? Will it lag in big spaces? How will the fog react to player flashlights and light sources in the map? Can it make clouds? (that'll be cool for Xen 'island-in-the-sky' type maps.) Can it move?

I like the grenade-behaviour changes. Hopefully the AI is no longer the coward it is now against grenades. However, I saw this:

- When doing victory dances, monsters no longer ignore grenades

What the heck is a victory dance?! Is that something new, or did I just never notice it before...

If no one is around except the the dead person, a gonome may do a little dance thingy, and a massn/hgrunt will walk up the the dead person they killed and aim their gun at the body and then stand by it. It's nothing new.

Cryogenic
15-07-2003, 03:48 PM
How come the vortigaunt (the huge monster from opposing force that shoots purple electrical fields) wasn't listed as a new monster being added? I know I read somewhere that it would be in this verison.

Lt.Chicken
15-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Cryogenic
How come the vortigaunt (the huge monster from opposing force that shoots purple electrical fields) wasn't listed as a new monster being added? I know I read somewhere that it would be in this verison.

Ahh its called a Voltigore and i hope to god Voltigores are gonna be in 3.0

Sniper
15-07-2003, 04:32 PM

The Voltigore will be in 3.0.

Snowcarve
15-07-2003, 04:50 PM
SWEET, I hope I get the chance to turn a voltigore into swiss cheese with an m249 :D

Cryogenic
15-07-2003, 05:33 PM
Glad to hear it, another question. Will the shock roach gun be in this version as well?

EvilPentaPenguin
15-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Glad to hear it, another question. Will the shock roach gun be in this version as well?

No... :wtf:

Snowcarve
15-07-2003, 05:49 PM
BAH, I was looking forward to using that :(

Nih
15-07-2003, 05:50 PM
All Grunt types have modified behaviour towards Gargantuas. If a grunt is equipped with grenades or a grenade launcher, it will only use that item against a gargantua. Does this mean that the grunts will be standing in the same spot, and launching AR grenades every five seconds?

- Death messages now use 'a' or 'an' depending on the attacker's name
- Death messages now have proper formatted names based on the attacker
Lmao, i remember when i posted this "bug" in the bug section :P

- Fixed bug with friendly monsters talking to player when shot, even though dead
Another "bug" i posted in the bug section... i suck.

- Monsters now target the Osprey Helicopter at either one of its engines. Come on, the monsters aren't that smart.

*L*E*O*N*
15-07-2003, 07:44 PM
Any info on the chaingun thing from a long time ago?

EvilPentaPenguin
15-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by *L*E*O*N*
Any info on the chaingun thing from a long time ago?

It's in 3.0

Snowcarve
15-07-2003, 08:02 PM
Will the minigun have the same sounds as the HW grunt's minigun?

EvilPentaPenguin
15-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Snowcarve
Will the minigun have the same sounds as the HW grunt's minigun?

My guess is no since it is a completely different type of minigun.

Lt.Chicken
15-07-2003, 09:04 PM
One of the performance changes to 3.0 makes it so if a monster has a custom model its origonal model will not be precached. Could you still be able to spawn one of those monsters with EntMod? In megamonstermassacre you have a bunch of custom modeled monsters running around, but if you spawn one with entmod, you get one with its normal model.

Sven Viking
15-07-2003, 11:14 PM
Hmm, good question... I know nothing about Entmod. Presumably either the replaced monster will spawn, or the game will crash.

Bosco
16-07-2003, 05:30 AM
are there any finalisations on the maps included in 3.0?
or is it a secret?

;)

Felix
16-07-2003, 06:01 AM
Erm... the next Hwguy in 3.0 will have the Svencoop minigun. Soo we can now have all weapons that enemies can have too. (somoane should change Otis deagle to a 357)

Snoopy
16-07-2003, 09:39 AM
This really bugs me, it dosen't really have to do with the features, but some people are asking if such and such will be fixed so: If one person uses the rocket launcher laser dot, all rockets follow that dot, and its really annoying how one n00b can mess the whole teams rockets up, will the rocket lasers be seperate in the next version?

Sven Viking
16-07-2003, 11:51 PM
Hmm, we haven't gone to the trouble of changing this because it's actually fun to use when games go well (you get an LPB to mark the targets, and everyone else just fires wildly :)).

Guess it would be better to have it separate, though. We'll look into that if there's time before the release.

Solid Salamander
17-07-2003, 12:22 AM
About giving commands to NPCs, exactly HOW do you give those commands? Do you speak to them or press a key or what? Also, for people who were going to ask, I believe the cute little baby Voltigores are in 3.0 as well.

Sven Viking
17-07-2003, 12:33 AM
You need to bind keys to the npc_ commands.

PD-KC
17-07-2003, 01:04 AM
3 more binds? I'm already running low on buttons. :)

Why not make things like CS' buy menu, push one button and you get to choose everything quickly, this could include the medic and grenade calls and such. I know there's the command menu with GUI interface, but it's a bit clumsy to use in a battle...

Sven Viking
17-07-2003, 02:33 AM
By the time you make your choise, it'd likely be too late (the monster would have moved out from under your crosshairs, or such). The key binds aren't necessary, you can still use NPCs in just the same way as before, without them... they're just useful extras.

Mad Gonesy
17-07-2003, 06:57 PM
Yeah, its more of an advanced extra for advanced Sven players. Kinda like the minigun secondary fire, for example (I'm keeping this vague on purpose, don't bother asking for specifics) :)

Jason Fairmount
17-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Has the scoreboard changed?

Turbo9000
18-07-2003, 05:04 AM
The friendly monster commands should be fun to play around with.

By the way, do monsters make a confirmational sound when you 'use' them, to let you know if it registered or not? It'd be a handy feature if not.

Sven Viking
18-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Yup, Sliper's got pretty good confirmation sounds for some of the monsters :). Robogrunts beep, Gargs make a happy sound when used and an unhappy sound when unused, etc.

MedievalManIII
18-07-2003, 06:17 PM
hehe... wut exactly is the "happy" sound for garg?

Mad Gonesy
18-07-2003, 06:30 PM
"Eh-Oh"

Its fun to have a squad of black ops trailing you around.

Turbo9000
18-07-2003, 09:19 PM
I sure hope mappers take full advantage of these great features! I'd sure like to have a squad of robogrunts or pit drones follow me around and do what I tell 'em. :)

Snowcarve
18-07-2003, 11:51 PM
It would also help people who are stuck playing maps solo because of crappy connection speeds and stuff.

Mikko
20-07-2003, 02:16 PM
That would be goodie, because sometimes when I create a server (Mikko), and I wait for other players to join, I'm pretty bored. I'd have something to do for a change :)

SilentMan
21-07-2003, 01:27 PM
I know this is a pretty silly request, but after 3.0, could you make it so more weapons give off that exit wound blood spray that comes out when you've been shot by a sniper black-op, like in some other mods?

The-Real-Game
21-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Jason Fairmount
Has the scoreboard changed?

A new format for the scoreboard was suggested, but never confirmed.

Snowcarve
21-07-2003, 03:57 PM
I know this is a pretty silly request, but after 3.0, could you make it so more weapons give off that exit wound blood spray that comes out when you've been shot by a sniper black-op, like in some other mods?

That would be cool. It would also be awesome if MADWHACK was somehow implamented to make cooler death animations from weapons other than explosives.

Exitus
22-07-2003, 07:14 PM
I am curiouse, will the UZIs ever be toned down a bit?

Also, for mappers, are some parts of Spirit of Half Life going to be added? Like for testing, are you going to be able to do the "poke" function? where you aim at an entitie and it will do it's function when "poked"? Will mappers have the option of a "Move with" function for entities to move with other entities?

Lastly, will the users ever be able to use a sniper rifle like they could in Opforce?

Forgot to ask, but will the AI code be improved in the Movement area so that the AI will automattically jump over obstacles like the hostages did in Counterstrike?

EvilPentaPenguin
22-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Exitus
I am curiouse, will the UZIs ever be toned down a bit?

Also, for mappers, are some parts of Spirit of Half Life going to be added? Like for testing, are you going to be able to do the "poke" function? where you aim at an entitie and it will do it's function when "poked"? Will mappers have the option of a "Move with" function for entities to move with other entities?

Lastly, will the users ever be able to use a sniper rifle like they could in Opforce?

Forgot to ask, but will the AI code be improved in the Movement area so that the AI will automattically jump over obstacles like the hostages did in Counterstrike?

-I see no reason why teh uzis would be "toned down"

-Spirit of Half-Life isn't going to be put in SC..people have asked about that as long as I've been on the forum and the answer has always been NO

-I'm extemely certain there will not ever be an opposing force sniper rifle

-I do not believe they are going to edit the AI to jump over stuff and such. Besides, CS's ai movement sucks. They don't jump, they just pop up on the table as if it were level to the floor.

And after this version, there won't be much more than perhaps a bug fix version, so whatever's not in this will probably never be in SC. SC II will be the main project after this.

P.S. Since your gonna be working on SC II, does that mean They Hunger Co-op is pretty much dead except for perhaps the first chapter?

Commando
23-07-2003, 04:07 AM
They Hunger episode one is no problem... episode two and three are tricky to say. Despite the general feeling people won't just all suddenly swap from HL to HL2 there will be a slow movement and people will still play a lot of HL (Which will be helped by the fact it will take awhile for HL2 mods to come out). I'd say that episode one is certain and episode two is likely. It would be definate but things get more and more complex as the series goes on.

Lt.Chicken
24-07-2003, 12:57 AM
All Grunt types have modified behaviour toward Gargantuas. If a grunt is equipped with grenades or a grenade launcher, it will only use that item against a gargantua.

If a grunt doesnt have any grenades, will it run away or just stand there? Maybe even run toward the garg?

Friendly monsters can follow players with the +USE key

Could I have more then one monster follow me and then, if i gave out an npc command, they would all respond? i.e. If I had a group of Pdrones following me, and I give them the order to attack an enemy, I'de have a huge squad of Pdrones consentrating on one poor sucker?

Sven Viking
24-07-2003, 03:00 AM
Could I have more then one monster follow me and then, if i gave out an npc command, they would all respond? i.e. If I had a group of Pdrones following me, and I give them the order to attack an enemy, I'de have a huge squad of Pdrones consentrating on one poor sucker?
Yup

Lightwolf
27-07-2003, 08:29 PM
What maps would we be able to use the new follow command etc in, I know there are some but not alot,

Sven Viking
27-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Any maps with NPCs/friendly monsters.

Lt.Chicken
28-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Can you get your fellow npc to attack anything in your crosshairs? Even players and other friendlies?

Sniper
28-07-2003, 10:05 PM
NPCs will only attack things in your crosshairs if they're not other players / friendly monsters.

The_6th_Monkey
29-07-2003, 06:44 AM
Oh yeah just a quick question will the monsters be aware of an objective. For example if someone was to make a D-Day map with friendly grunts would they make there way up the beach automatically or would they move around randomly with the roaming feature. If not scripted sequences could be used but it wouldn't be as convincing as grunts making there way up on their own way :p

Sven Viking
29-07-2003, 07:54 AM
Roaming only works randomly... the AI/pathfinding improvements would help the grunts to move to wherever their enemies were, though. I mean, it'd work much better than before, if nothing else.

Mr. Chris
29-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Anything on keeping otises/barnies/grunts/male or female assassins/shock troopers from getting in the middle of a firefight and hurting/dying? It's kinda silly for a soldier to get in front of an m203 grunt, thus killing themselves.

Sniper
29-07-2003, 09:46 PM
No, but some enhancements have been worked on to get Barney / Grunts / Male Assassins / etc. away from threats if they come to close. For example, if a male assassin is attacking a zombie and it walks up to him, the male assassin will run away. (Not stand there and take damage like an idiot.)

Lightwolf
01-08-2003, 12:24 PM
Do friendly grunts have the HD model now?

Sph!nx
01-08-2003, 01:38 PM
Do you have the HD pack ???

If yes, then yes. If no, then probably no.

Lightwolf
01-08-2003, 02:02 PM
yeah i do, but the friendly grunts have always had the original content when i play sc

Sniper
01-08-2003, 04:02 PM
Friendly Opposing Force grunts.

Qwerty
08-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Will there be controlable vehicles that you can drive anywhere round the map instead of having paths?

Jar-Jar-BinX
08-08-2003, 10:38 AM
yea it culd be easily done. add veichals that move wit ur crosshair like in CS. i cant wait for 3.0 . and umm. the new weapons, will they be replaceing old ones or will there be MORE guns to maim ur enemies?

Sph!nx
09-08-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by Qwerty
Will there be controlable vehicles that you can drive anywhere round the map instead of having paths?

This was discussed before, and I believe the answer was : "no"

Sven Viking
09-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Coming in SC2

Medieval_Warrior
09-09-2003, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Sven Viking
Human grunts now actually use their AI to just run over to a controllable turret and start using it if it's useful to them, and to just run off and leave it if their enemies walk out of the turret's field of view.

Different grunts can re-use the same turret, and friendly grunts will use turrets to attack their enemies (they won't attack players or anything). So what your saying is....practically the grunts now have use keys to use tanks. That would be pretty cool, you should make a cmd that tells them to use the nearest turret. Like npc_usetank. That would be awsome. You could have a friendly grunt cover you by using a tank so you can get across the field. Like so. Example: Oh crap *gets killed* *boom* Dargh I can't make it across the field. Oh right. *npc_usetank* yeeeehawwww *makes it across the field* Thx to the cmd I have some cover!! :D Like if you had a tank in your crosshair the grunt would go to that turret. Dunno if this would work, or maybe you could do it without the crosshair, making them go to the nearest. :p Cause I'm always by a tank to give people cover. Now I can have somebody do it without complaining on telling them what to do! The AI is stupid and can't respond to text so commands would be fun as heck. *npc_usetank* Oh I can see the possibilitys of having grunts cover you. Btw, goodluck on finishing SC3.0 and the future release of SCII, take your time and do all what's necessary, be patient and finish. But hey your pretty close on finished this version. Hell, I bet by Christmas you should be ready to alpha-test SCII. :D Just depends on what time you release this version though. ;)

bmôôre
09-09-2003, 07:16 PM
Ok on the features page it says..

+ Player Ally Option - Can spawn Friendly/Evil Human Grunts/Opposing Force Grunts
+ Player Ally Option - Can spawn Friendly/Evil Male Assassins

So can you spawn these on any map you want to, if so how do you do this? and can i spawn any friendly i want to on any map or is it just grunts and assassins?

Sniper
09-09-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by bmôôre
Ok on the features page it says..

+ Player Ally Option - Can spawn Friendly/Evil Human Grunts/Opposing Force Grunts
+ Player Ally Option - Can spawn Friendly/Evil Male Assassins

So can you spawn these on any map you want to, if so how do you do this? and can i spawn any friendly i want to on any map or is it just grunts and assassins?

Those are osprey options for mappers.