PDA

View Full Version : Apolgetic POV fan asks, what programs do you use to modify, all i have valve hammered

Sarabi
16-07-2003, 02:56 PM
Ah sweet coding, anyway I would realy realy like to find out what mod programs you use and possibly some tips, and how on earth do you make that cool cell shaded graphics from toon run? tell me this and i will never (maby) bother you again, please

Kuroneko
17-07-2003, 12:34 AM
all the programs people use to make maps?

Wally - texture compiling
Valve Hammre - Mapping
Quark - Mapping
MilkShape - Modeling/Animating
Photoshop - texture editing
Paint Shop Pro - texture editing

those are all the ones off the top of my head

Sven Viking
17-07-2003, 02:35 AM
As I remember, there's a program to arrange it in Milkshape (or maybe even just a trick you can use to do it in Milkshape by yourself). Don't know what, though.

Foolio666
17-07-2003, 03:00 AM
the "cell shading in toonrun" are just spiffy textures

BurnOut64
17-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Foolio666
the "cell shading in toonrun" are just spiffy textures

Wrong!

Cell shading is done by copying the model, enlarging it, reversing the sides, and aplying the black texture to it.

Snoopy
17-07-2003, 03:45 AM
Duplicate model, fatboy it, reverse the faces, apply a black texture to the duplicate, compile, done.

Sarabi
17-07-2003, 07:25 AM
hey thanks guys, also just one more question... what is the max polycount for models, Its just that i want to know how ambitios i can bee

Snoopy
17-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Try not to go above 1500. There really is no limit that I know of, somebody on the NS forums made a 5000 poly model and played with it, I dunno how much his FPS dropped though...

Sushi
17-07-2003, 05:49 PM
Your all wrong. Cell shading requires spiffy textures and a REALLY REALLY REALLY thin outline/bold black lines. Stupids.

Cell shaded graphics are pretty much 16 bit textures. Yep. 16 bits.

Sven Viking
18-07-2003, 01:25 AM
The fancy textures wouldn't allow for black outlines around the whole model on all angles, as with Toonrun grunts. None of this is real cell-shading, it's just a trick to make it look cell-shaded. Obviously non-cartoony textures would detract from this.

Half-Life only supports 256-colour textures/skins, though each texture/skin can have its own palette.

BurnOut64
18-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Sushi
Your all wrong. Cell shading requires spiffy textures and a REALLY REALLY REALLY thin outline/bold black lines. Stupids.

Cell shaded graphics are pretty much 16 bit textures. Yep. 16 bits.

http://www.bande.biz/stuff/n00b.jpg

Sorry, but YOU are wrong! HL cell shading is done with the reversed polygon method. Other games with cellshading in them (like the GC Zelda game) use a code based method, not cool 16 bit texture tricks.