PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Servers?

Seraphim
07-08-2003, 12:14 AM
I've never purchased a server before.. and I was thinking of doing so soon. But I have a problem -- Where do I go? I'm looking for something under $60 US dollars/month. Just a small server for Svencoop. And how much is £75.00 in US dollars?

evangelion unit 0
07-08-2003, 04:32 AM
dnt buy a uk server there bloddy expensive

vipah
07-08-2003, 08:36 AM
first thing, dont drop $60 for a small server, that would be a medium sized, or if you get a good deal, a rather substancial server. For a small server taking little bandwidth, something like a cable modem, for around 8 plr, you might look at around 20-35, and for around 14 plr, around 25-45. These are just estimates.

Seraphim
07-08-2003, 12:17 PM
Yeah... but where could I find a server? I've looked all over and nothing... I'm looking for an 8 player.

EvilPentaPenguin
07-08-2003, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Seraphim
Yeah... but where could I find a server? I've looked all over and nothing... I'm looking for an 8 player.

Search google. You might find a few good ones. Seriously.

Creeps
07-08-2003, 01:35 PM
if you're gonna buy a server in the US, dont expect to get good pings on it though.

but www.datastreamusa.com has some cheap packages.

Seraphim
07-08-2003, 08:23 PM
Yeah.. I tried Google but I can't find anything...

evangelion unit 0
08-08-2003, 04:37 AM
there was a company that did 8 player servers for $6 (my friend was going to get one for his tfc clan) but i think they went bust

Seraphim
09-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Hmm.. anyone know any places?

FuNiOnZ
09-08-2003, 02:21 AM
game daemons might

Creeps
09-08-2003, 05:22 AM
Hmm.. anyone know any places?
Start paying attention to what people post!!!!
www.datastreamusa.com

Seraphim
09-08-2003, 11:19 AM
Hmm... what am I looking at here? The dedicated hosting area, right? How many people would these hold? It doesn't say...

Seraphim
09-08-2003, 12:06 PM
I found some sites that offer server hosting... but I don't know what's good and what's not.

http://www.recongamer.com/games/hl/public/#pricing

http://www.infra-services.com/gameservers.htm

http://www.cyberseals.net/portal/index.php

I'm looking for 12 players or less, with admin mod support and plenty of space for maps etc.

Seraphim
09-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Alright, I sent an e-mail to a server company asking them about Sven-Coop support. They replied and told me there is no Linux version out so they cannot host it for me. I've seen dedicated servers of Sven-Coop though.. like bygames.com and such. Is there some company that hosts Sven-Coop I don't know about?

cscarlet
10-08-2003, 04:53 AM
nope they are all linux based, but if you was to get yourself a dedicated server you could run a couple of servers at any one time off of it like many gaming companies do any way

Creeps
10-08-2003, 04:58 AM
Hmm... what am I looking at here? The dedicated hosting area, right? How many people would these hold? It doesn't say... well it says dedicated server doesn't it? not shared server?

Seraphim
10-08-2003, 11:17 AM
Okay... how come I see hellzkitchen servers up and bygames servers for Svencoop, but I can't find anybody to host the server? And what do you mean "It's dedicated, not shared." It doesn't say the bandwidth or anything. As far as I know it only holds 2 people...

How do I run a server off of a dedicated server?

Freaking Neo
10-08-2003, 12:00 PM
So you want to buy a server altough you dont know shit about servers? right, sounds logical

Seraphim
10-08-2003, 01:00 PM
Yep.. I don't know anything bout servers... that's why I asked you guys.

Creeps
10-08-2003, 01:44 PM
well apparently you've found server hosts already, seeing as you found some.. doesn't that answer your question?

they will set it up for you?

Seraphim
10-08-2003, 04:05 PM
.... Yes, I've found some sites. The one doesn't offer Sven Coop because there is no linux version. I don't know how to tell if a company is good or not, obviously. So all I'm asking is for someone's opinion about this. I'm not asking for a smart ass. Go post someplace where people appreciate that kind of behavior.

Malek
10-08-2003, 06:07 PM
I don't recall if he's right or not, but I think they are right.

Basically it's this.. the servers are running a linux operating system and for them to run a dedicated server of your game, they need the linux builds of the dedicated server software. Ironically, the ones for sven aren't out yet.

If you want to still try your luck with them, ask them if they can run the dedicated server thru a windows emulation software, (specifically referring to WINE.) They might do that since they won't have to install Win 2k or Win NT or something, but still, WINE is a hassle to deal with and alot of work.

So there's your answer:

Summary: They won't run a dedicated for sven coop cause the dedicated server software isn't available for the operating system they're currently running.

Possible Solutions:

- Ask them if they'll run an emulated version of the Dedicated Server thru WINE or another Windows Emulator. (If they talk about charging extra for WINE remind them that WINE is free.)

- Do it yourself...

- Find another server company.

Unfortunately I can't offer much more then that... I'm sorry.

Seraphim
10-08-2003, 09:52 PM
I really appreciate that Malek. I haven't been paying attention much.. so is a Linux version coming out anytime soon for Sven Coop? I'll ask about WINE. I've emailed several companies about it. Thanks guys!

cscarlet
11-08-2003, 02:55 AM
WINE and VMWare are both bloody annoying, if you buy a dedicated server you have to set it up yourself, but it would probably cost cheaper and you could run several servers.