PDA

View Full Version : Shock Trooper sounds

your evil twin
10-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Question: in Sven Co-op, are any of the Shock Trooper sounds actually used? I've never heard the shock troopers make an attack sound or screech in pain.

In Opposing Force, the pain/attack/death sounds are not used, instead a set of alien "words" are used, like "dit", "wot" and the sentences.txt file has various phrases that the aliens say for enemy spotted or retreat or check-in, just like the human grunts. Sven Co-op doesn't have any of those alien word sounds, instead it has the shock trooper sounds which opposing force doesn't even use.

I was going to do replacement sounds for the Dalek shock trooper replacement, but then I realised that I'm not sure the shock troopers say anything at all in sven co-op anyway.

The next version of sven should have them saying those alien phrases. They made the shock troopers very distinctive in opposing force - it made them seem like intelligent aliens, unlike the Xen grunts.

Commando
10-08-2003, 10:38 AM
We edited the sentences to avoid going over the 512 sound limit. This means quite a few non crucial sounds were dropped, like grunt chatter etc...

Valve says that in the next HL patch they have increased the sound limit to 1024, which should let us reintroduce every sound.

Solid Salamander
10-08-2003, 10:52 AM
It's still programmed in there, though. All you need to do is take the shocktrooper talking sounds out of your Opposing Force pak file and put them in your Sven shocktrooper sounds folder. Then, copy the sentences from the Opposing Force sentences.txt and paste into your Sven sentence(s).txt. Now, shocktroopers will talk just like they did before. The problem is that now I think it messed up how characters talk while playing online. Also, it may ruin the feel of some maps that have model replacements of shocktroopers. Finally, as Commando said, you may encounter the sfx_t bug more often.

Knight_Lancer
10-08-2003, 01:15 PM
Can people with CS retail or DOD retail use the HL patch as well? Or do they have to use a seperate patch for their respective programs? (dod.exe cstrike.exe)

Sniper
10-08-2003, 01:54 PM
Seperate patch, however Valve will release patches for CS/DOD/HL at the same time.

cscarlet
10-08-2003, 04:28 PM
1024 sound limit, jesus still not going to be enough as maps get bigger and more complex

your evil twin
11-08-2003, 01:48 PM
Ah. I've tried fooling aruond with the sentences.txt file (i put the missing hgrunt phrases back in and replaced them with my own) and while that worked fine on my own server it caused problems online (for some reason I could often hear Barney talking about launching the satellite delivery rocket, over and over again at different speeds, lol.) However, since i will add the shocktrooper sounds to end of the sentences.txt file, there shouldn't be that problem with the online play. (It's due to sounds being played by what number they are on the list in the sentences.txt file, if there is a difference between server and client the wrong sounds are played.)

Question: does sven use those other shock trooper sounds? The attack and pain and death sounds which aren't used in opposing force? I've never heard them ingame but i think it unlikely you would include the sound files if they weren't used.

Tempest
12-08-2003, 04:33 AM
just a quick tip: Dont buy all those fu**** up retails!!!

your evil twin
12-08-2003, 05:44 PM
Tempest, what the hell are you talking about? Are you saying don't by retail mods like opposing force or blue shift? Why the hell not? I personally love opposing force and blue shift - even though blue shift is short, the high definition pak makes up for it. And opposing force singleplayer is definately worth having. So what the hell are you talking about?

Solid Salamander
12-08-2003, 09:45 PM
I think he is talking about Counter-Strike retail. I'm not sure exactly why, though.

Nih
13-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Solid Salamander
I think he is talking about Counter-Strike retail. I'm not sure exactly why, though. Because the Original HL is cheaper, and you can just download CS.