PDA

View Full Version : How does the skl file work?

Uncle
16-08-2003, 08:12 PM
Sorry for posting here, it should be in mapping but I tried there already and no one there seems to know.

There's this game file that ends in .skl (NOT .cfg, I know about the cfg file), it has a list of monster hp, weapons, and also player's weapons, as well as miscellaneous stuff like how much hp and armor the healthkit and battery should give. I wanted to make one for my map (largely due to some problems with the gauss gun secondary fire; I want to set its damage to 0) but I can't figure out how. At the features/changes section of the website, I found these two mentions of the skl file system:

Ver 2.0 Beta:
Added .skl file support

Ver 2.0 Final:
.SKL file problems fixed. SKL files must now be named mapname_skl.cfg

I tried doing that, but it doesn't seem to work for my map. I tried to copy megamonstermassacre.skl and renamed it for my map, still no go. I then shifted the file around, put it in this directory or that, but still no luck. All the changes I made seemed to take no effect.

There are two other files called skill.cfg and skill.bak in the Sven Coop directory, they have similar-looking entrys, so I suppose these are the default versions of the skl file. I don't know how the game uses them.

If anyone knows how to use the skl file, please PLEASE help me! I need to know everything; how to name it, which directory to put it in, how the numbers translate into actual effect in the game, and some explanations for some of the entrys. I really need to know for the map I'm working on. Thank you.

(Why is there no HELP section for the skl, when there's one for the CFG?)

EDIT: Is the Bug Reports forum closed? I also want to report the bug with the gauss secondary fire. (I think it is a bug.... dunno, but it sure ain't doing what I wanted it to do)

Uncle
16-08-2003, 09:21 PM
Thank you very much for your kind assistance. I hope you will edit that and fill in the blanks.

-Rusty-
16-08-2003, 09:28 PM
hey man thats fucked up! the guy is asking for some help :mad:

Daza400
16-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Fine, I wont attack help threads again *deleates post*

Uncle
16-08-2003, 10:24 PM
It's ok, I'm not pissed. Was funny, in a.... useless way.:)

Off-topic: Your good-bye thread was DeathRowed while I was reading it. I don't think that was nice, they should've let you guys voice your troubles somewhere. This rebellion thing probably won't get anywhere, so I hope you and the mods will get things sorted out between each other, whatever the reason for this mess. Do it nicely!

Sven Viking
17-08-2003, 01:30 AM
About skl files: Half-Life's skill.cfg file contains listings that set the damange and health of all attacks/weapons/monsters. There are three values for each listing... the first affects things when the Skill setting is set to 1, the second when Skill is 2, etc.

Map-specific skl files basically just allow you to use your own skill.cfg for each map. Just copy whatever you want out of skill.cfg into a mapname_skl.cfg file, and change the values. You can copy the whole file if you want.

This allows for things like a super-powerful crowbar or enemy, a map where all weapons do 1 damage, or whatever.

Uncle
17-08-2003, 05:23 AM
I thought I did exactly that.

Which folder should it be in? And is there a limit to the range of values? My crowbar is set at 100 for all skill levels, but this has not happened. I also set secondary gauss to zero, but also no effect. Where did I go wrong? Must the entries be in a specific order? Does the skl also work in singleplayer (where I usually do my testing)?

cscarlet
17-08-2003, 05:31 AM
usualy it would be placed in the maps folder with the map (correct me if i am wrong)

Sven Viking
17-08-2003, 07:48 AM
It has to be in the Maps folder... Make sure the filename is correct (try using the correct case, just in case).

Umm, and just to make sure there's no confusion, when I say "mapname_skl.cfg", I mean *****_skl.cfg, where "*****" is the filename of the map (e.g. "osprey_skl.cfg" for osprey.bsp, "svencoop1_skl.cfg" for svencoop1.bsp).

It should work in single-player... try starting the game as a LAN game.

Uncle
18-08-2003, 08:41 AM
It works now! Dunno what I did wrong earlier.....

I just deleted the old file, copied svencoop2_skl.cfg, and renamed that. And that one works. The one that was a copy of skill.cfg didn't. ?????

Well, thanks for the help, but will the site put up a page on the skl file? I think mappers would need one, esp noobs like me.

I didn't understand the crossbow entrys, BTW. What is the meaning of sk_plr_xbow_bolt_client and sk_plr_xbow_monster? Which one is the primary fire/secondary fire/explosive damage? Also didn't understand egon_narrow and egon_wide, how is that calculated? Thought egon only has one attack.

Also, what's the new entry for the pipewrench? Couldn't find it.

WoadRaider
18-08-2003, 03:36 PM
for the crossbow, my guess is that the xbow_bolt_monster ones are the explosive damage, mainly because the values are higher, and the xbow_bolt_client lines are for the damage caused when the bolt directly hits something 'alive' ... in secondary mode, the bolts will not explode ( i think i have that right)

the egon wide/narrow stuff is either a difference in damage based on how far away the target is...or maybe one is the damage it does to the holder when firing at something too close

i believe the pipewrench damage is calculated as some multiple of crowbar damage, not sure on exact numbers offhand...

Uncle
18-08-2003, 08:05 PM
I think you're right about the crowbar and pipewrench relationship, but only for the primary attack. I'm sure the secondary attack for the pipewrench is something else. I know coz I set the crowbar to -11 damage, and the monsters really loved that. Same thing happened to the pipewrench even though I didn't set that, but the secondary attack was still the same old damage.

That can't be xbow secondary, I thought secondary fire was more powerful than primary. In HL multiplayer, the xbow secondary is almost certain to be a one-shot kill, but it seems to have been downgraded in Sven. Confusing... we need that help section! One of the Sven coders should know exactly how these numbers work.

Sniper
18-08-2003, 08:12 PM
In single player the crossbow isn't 1 shot 1 kill.

Uncle
19-08-2003, 01:54 AM
But the primary fire is the multiplayer version, not singleplayer..

I don't quite get why the xbow has low damage by default. C'mon, it's so hard to snipe with it when it isn't hitscan, the returns are almost never worthwhile. I normally end up using it as an assault weapon at close range for pesky babycrabs, and I was hoping to change that with the skl.