PDA

View Full Version : Fog returns returns returns

Tinman
17-08-2003, 10:30 PM
Does anyone know an off command for fog, when you type fog in console, you get different color fogs each time typed in but there seems to be no fog off command or such, and restarts a quit and restart to get it off.

Im FOGGED off with it.

:mad:

Sniper
17-08-2003, 10:35 PM
That was for testing purposes.

Fog is fully implemented in 3.0.

Freaking Neo
18-08-2003, 03:06 AM
:O

Lightwolf
18-08-2003, 07:14 AM
I experimented with that, I just kept typing fog, and it went through every type of fog and then finally the fog went away, so just keep typing fog until it goes away.

Tinman
18-08-2003, 12:12 PM
so just keep typing fog until it goes away.

totally totally silly, Fog it away i guess, what kind of coding requires a 2 inch hammer.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Chris
18-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Exponential or distance fog?

Lord Booga
19-08-2003, 07:55 AM
I'm guessing it's the TriAPI fog built into HL.

Sniper
20-08-2003, 01:41 AM
I'm guessing what Lord Booga said.

Tinman
20-08-2003, 11:30 AM
If fog is fully implemented in version 3 ????, 3 what exactly, dont you mean 2 or 2.5 or version 2 of half life, how can you change the halflife engine code to register another fog command, to my understanding valve give online scripted kind of source code which doesnt allow you to tamper with certain APIs, especially rendering processes, due to vunerabilities in the API stack.

???

Im guess its the distance fog, not a 3d clipped fog.

:eek: :o

DOOM2
20-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Hmmm...... fog........ never knew about the fog feature, I'll try it out ^_^

Sven Viking
21-08-2003, 12:50 AM
version 3 ????, 3 what exactly
Version 3 of SvenCo-op... SvenCo-op v3.0. You can control it via an env_fog entity, now, similarly to DMC.

Lord Booga
21-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Bet my implementation is better :D

Sven Viking
21-08-2003, 09:35 AM
That's almost definite... fog's not something we wanted to spend a lot of time on.

Lord Booga
21-08-2003, 10:52 AM
If you want you can have any extra stuff I've added that you don't have.

Mine doesn't look any better, it's just other bits and pieces. (I also fixed what seemed to be a problem with ATI Radeon cards and the fog? Not sure if it was just a one-off problem or not though, only one card to test it on :))

Sven Viking
22-08-2003, 12:01 AM
Lord Booga: Thanks... if you could send me an E-mail with information on what your system does, I'll check with Sniper.

Uncle
22-08-2003, 10:40 AM
The test fog in 2.1 doesn't seem to work with software mode. Does the 3.0 fog work the same way?

Lord Booga
22-08-2003, 11:05 AM
TriAPI fog doesn't work in software or Direct3D mode (I just checked), I believe it's basically a wrapper for an OpenGL fog function call, obviously has no Direct3D equivalent (or at least didn't when TriAPI was implemented).

Uncle
23-08-2003, 03:23 AM
So how will 3.0 implement fog then? If only the OpenGL people get fog, the rest get sunny skies, then half the team is running around blind while the other half can see clear as day.

If the fog actually interferes with player navigation and target acquisition (it should, else it would be pointless to have fog), people will start using the other video modes to "see through the fog".

Sniper
23-08-2003, 12:54 PM
I think you're blowing potential problems with fog way out of proportion.

Uncle
23-08-2003, 03:56 PM
I admit I haven't seen 3.0, I hope you made it compatible with everyone's setup. If not.... gee, that just isn't fair, right?

Sniper
23-08-2003, 04:14 PM
It's perfectly fair.

You'll need opengl to see fog.

Uncle
23-08-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, whether it's fair or not depends on how the mappers use it. If it's just decorative fog, I guess it'll be ok. But me, I wanna make deep dense haze that'll literally blind the players and make them wander lost (cmon, that's fun!). If the fog doesn't affect everyone, the "scariness" of fog cannot be fully implemented.

your evil twin
23-08-2003, 06:07 PM
A good use of fog would be to obscure the bottoms of "bottomless" chasms. Even the original half-life had that problem, but many sven maps have it worse - the abyss is a six foot drop into a trigger_hurt or something. If there was fog, then would could assume that the fall is very deep. Would especially work in maps like the leprechaun series that are set on a mountain/cliff-tops, as the fog could be a layer of clouds.

Having fog floating around where you are running so that it obscures vision is a bit of a problem if it only works in opengl mode, as those with crapper computers would actually have an easier time. But then again, that's their compensation for not having as good a video mode and for half-life looking crapper. If someone turned off opengl mode so that they could see through the fog - then they are very very sad, as the game is supposed to be fun, not an exercise in running as fast as possible to the exit. If someone really wants to do that, let them. Fog will be a cool extra for those with opengl, not a problem.

Uncle
24-08-2003, 06:01 PM
Yup, I've seen those "fatal" 6 foot drops...... Some people disguise that by using murky water, but once your dead body drops below the surface, the truth is exposed!

Anyway, I guess what Sniper is really saying is that fog will not work in software mode, ever..... so I can't use that fog the way I intended to. Damn, I was waiting for 3.0 that eagerly, partly because of the fog...

I found an interesting alternative, though. Some guys at Ejoop (whatever that is, I just happened to be directed there) have posted some example maps for HL that use func_illusionary's to make fog. The method appears to rely on using multiple layers of func_illusionary's with water textures and different render settings. I downloaded an example made by some guy called BlackOps, and compiled it in Sven Coop, and here it is:

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=167829

It's quite good in OpenGL mode, but software mode feels laggy with that fog around. But at least it's there to be seen. I suspect this will load the engine real bad, but good thing is, it's brush-based, so you can adjust it's placement.

Still, I want env_fog for the big open spaces.... I can't imagine doing this type of fog for big rooms.

Suicidal
26-08-2003, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by Sniper
I'm guessing what Lord Booga said.

You see, not even sniper knows what it is.