PDA

View Full Version : Forums getting worse?

Snoopy
20-08-2003, 08:49 AM
I've been hearing alot of talk about people quitting, mods getting to be assholes, stuff like that. Whats happening to these forum? I hear sniper is being an immature twat and flaming Dodo; Daza, RJ and a few others quitting; some new revolution bullshit; not being able to convert models; wtf is going on? Someone please tell me what happend all of a sudden when I was gone that made everyone so pissed off. Flames, death row, I don't care, but I'll be leaving if any of those occur, so if that happens, to anybody that I liked or that liked me, I'll cya, will still probably play SC and SC2 every once in a while, might come back if things clear up a bit.

Sven Viking
20-08-2003, 09:12 AM
You may have been listening to the wrong people.

A few people (four?) did some spamming/posted offensive images/sent moderators mailbombs (e-mail mailbombs, I mean) in protest of moderators "being nazis" (few specifics were stated). These people were banned for spamming, posting offensive images, and/or sending moderators mailbombs. One or two of the bannings may not be permanent, and one or two others definitely will be.

New rules for moderators were implemented to hopefully prevent anything like this happening again. An education program was begun to attempt to teach certain forumgoers that E-mailing admins with their concerns may be a better way of invoking change than calling moderators nazis.

About Dodo/Sniper: General Dodo contacted Sniper on ICQ, they had an argument and ended up calling each other names. It was a mutual thing, preceded by earlier happenings on IRC. The interpretation of events that has been related to you hints strongly at the source of the information.

Sven Viking
20-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Re: "Someone please tell me what happend all of a sudden when I was gone that made everyone so pissed off"

A new rule for Model Showcase (conversions of models from commercial games (except those developed by Valve) are not allowed for legal reasons) triggered everything, though the actual reason was said to be something that had built up over a long period of time.

Tinman
20-08-2003, 11:41 AM
A forum should represent a community of people online which share and help each other out for what ever the forum represents, but i admit there are some selfish self centered people who think they know everything that i have encountered, my advice as listen to Sven is to not take it to heart and get involved in helping others with your unique knowlege on the forums instead of generally trying to argue over people, who need to get a life and start making maps and running servers instead of complaining all the time and saying nonsensical things.

Listen to the right gossip!

To be a Pro is to aim first low.

:cool:

DOOM2
20-08-2003, 01:19 PM
I agree with both of you Sven and Tinman, I just got back onto these fourms and stuff, and I've heard about Slidje being banned from being a moderator and other bad things on some other furm (name not telling), and stuff, and looking at this now, I'm agreeing, things have died down into the dark pits of hell. The people who bring it down are complete idiots and (as Tinman said) need a life. I mean, it's a problem enough about the time and all but problems like these on the fourms is just going too far.

Mutant
20-08-2003, 05:47 PM
:)

Thanks guys. It's support like that, and not banning people, that makes me happy. Been on a low ever since that started, so it's stuff like this that reminds us of the good guys this community is comprised of. Rest assured changes are being made, and things should be back to as they were - or better - before long.

cscarlet
20-08-2003, 07:42 PM
As Administrator/Moderator of many Forums this always happens, clear guidelines need to be set to everyone including admins, which I can see in place, a system I use on a number of my communitys is warning levels, a certain amount of warnings = ban. This is easier with invisionboard since this is now a standard feature, I am unsure whether or not VB has this feature or a modification for it.
This behaviour is typical, and what gets me the most is they are putting a rule in to protect you from being sued by software developers that have copyright for models being recreated.
Heres a tip: Think before you act, rules are here for a reason and there are also laws to consider.

Snoopy
20-08-2003, 11:24 PM
I see, it sounded like there was a riot going on, I guess I was just too busy reading the death row section to read anything else, I love that section of the forum :P. Perhaps I won't leave, but I still think Sniper handled the situation between himself and Dodo alittle immaturely.

Sniper
20-08-2003, 11:42 PM
"I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of, disagree with you there." - Office Space

Nothing was handled immaturely, Snoopy. It's called freedom of speech. The whole situation with me and Dodo was nothing more than a pissing match.

FlashBang
21-08-2003, 04:13 AM
and first of all it's a personal thing between sniper and dodo. I don't see how anyone else would like or have a reason to get involved in it.

cscarlet
21-08-2003, 02:11 PM
because its the summer holidays and they have nothing better to do?

FlashBang
21-08-2003, 03:52 PM
that's why they'd like to get involved, but it does not count as a valid reason

R@lph VViggum
21-08-2003, 04:46 PM
"You know the Nazis has pieces of flare, but they made the jews wear them."

Irregular Hunter
21-08-2003, 05:58 PM
A little advice to some newbies:
If you see something like a riot of any kind like what happened earlier this month its better to stay out of it

As for the Dodo thing. Its better to ignore him, with the way he's acting it leading him to the path of failer. What I lernt for the past few years that making mods is suppose to be a fun thing to do as well as playing them...take it seriously like Forcing team members to work or treat it as a compitition will get it nowhere

As for the REVOLUTION...how do I describe it...its like sending a kamakazi man strapped with explosives into a tank but he misses and lands into a wall...

Jason Fairmount
21-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Irregular Hunter
As for the REVOLUTION...how do I describe it...its like sending a kamakazi man strapped with explosives into a tank but he misses and lands into a wall...

Yeah, no one can do it better than I did. *rollseyes*

RJ8722
21-08-2003, 08:11 PM
I'll throw in my 2 cents into this.

First off, I'm happy now.
So what I say below is all in the past.

When I first came to sven coop ... I ran my server, loved the mod, started making maps. I didn't post much, but reading around just kinda made me feel happy. Then when I went to the irc channel for #svencoop ... things were going downhill for me. People in there flame like crazy (you KNOW who you are). I've stopped running my server. I didn't have any interest in continuing my maps for sven coop. But I've finally overcomed that.

So now I'm just back to umm running my server whenever I feel like it. And to everyone: Avoid #svencoop on GamesNET! It's not the best place. (Supposedly a private channel opened to the public don't make any sense .. care to explain on that Sniper?)

So I'll still be around. Just not posting as much. School started for me (and I'm enjoying it every bit). I've also got 2 ut2k3 mods to work on so I'm quite busy. :)

:) :P :D

Tinman
21-08-2003, 08:25 PM
I've stopped running my server. I didn't have any interest in continuing my maps for sven coop. But I've finally overcomed that.

Good on ya RJ8722, I had the same problem with posting my maps a while back, i also got belitilling comments and idiots joining my server saying stuff like "Your maps are *crap* ours are better" and other comments, so i was going to leave, i even complained to the admin on this forum but i came back to defend the hard work that i had done, for nothing aswell. But the lameeeos will fall!

IRC has gotten worst, too many spammers and bombers :mad:

Mad Gonesy
21-08-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Snoopy
I've been hearing alot of talk about people quitting, mods getting to be assholes, stuff like that. Whats happening to these forum? I hear sniper is being an immature twat and flaming Dodo; Daza, RJ and a few others quitting; some new revolution bullshit; not being able to convert models; wtf is going on? Someone please tell me what happend all of a sudden when I was gone that made everyone so pissed off. Flames, death row, I don't care, but I'll be leaving if any of those occur, so if that happens, to anybody that I liked or that liked me, I'll cya, will still probably play SC and SC2 every once in a while, might come back if things clear up a bit

RE-E-Wind. I'm sick of this DC Co-op stuff now, its time to set the facts straight.

In regards to DC Co-op, think of it in this way, you're a tiny little mod thats in direct competition with a bigger mod, whats the best way to get people playing your mod? Slur the big guy and their staff. That is pretty what all this "we coded this first" stuff is about. Putting down Sniper, convincing people that you're in the right.

For a short while at the end of last year (December), Sniper was helping Dodo with coding, in particular glow shells and a bunch of other stuff that I have chat logs to prove. In return, he recieved absolutely nothing except cheap digs from Dodo and his team. Since early this year, Dodo has done his best to wind up Sniper and put down his work, accused Sven Co-op of plagurism and generally acted like an ass. Which has led to his banning from both the IRC channel AND the forums. Whatever you say about the IRC channels moderation, you pretty much can't fault the forums.

This was treated as a major injustice and was clearly a sign of how right-wing and out of touch the mod team was. So therefore, the community must be "dying"!!!!:
http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14600

According to this, Dodo had coded in ground alignment a while before Sniper, but when he talked to ME about it on the day it was announced through ICQ, this is what he had to say:
http://www.svencoop.com/mjstuff2/dodohistory.txt

Note: I have omitted certain lines unrelated to that day, but all lines related to MADWHACK have been kept in and in their original form.

Sniper coded in over a hundred lines for the ground alignment and monster explosion-thingy, Dodo coded in 8. Have a guess who possibly rushed their code that night.

Call me cynical, call me paranoid, but I've been talking to Sniper constantly over the past few months and I've watched this situation build up. The community is healthy and 3.0 will kick ass. Thats all that matters.

On the subject of the forums:

The forums were in need of a sort out, and that has happened. Parties that had the wrong attitude have had their attitude corrected and in one case, we've let a moderator go.

Things will improve slowly, I promise, but topics like this aren't helping the matter.

snark
22-08-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, i was waiting for someone to set the record straight.

cscarlet
23-08-2003, 07:16 PM
its like people moaning that the government are out of touch with the people in the UK, when its impossible since the amount of different effnic groups that live here, because they do something to support a certain group they are suddenly branded as out of touch

MedievalManIII
23-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Why do people say that DC Co-Op has better coding than Svencoop? Obioulsy SNiper has been working harder than Dodo has...

cscarlet
24-08-2003, 01:09 PM
wtf is DC Coop (apart from a coop)

Sven-Coop has been featured in UK Magazines, its had articles written on it, its been awarded, its been tried tested and given a 5/5 by most of my staff, around 80 websites post news from svencoop.com (cos they nicked links to the video files released earlier last month) and they think DC Coop is better when I ain't seen nout of it.

Irregular Hunter
24-08-2003, 01:16 PM
I dunno whats with DC coop but if they didn't treat things like a compition Sven coop and DC coop would of helped each other. As far as I lernt it will lag....

Commando
24-08-2003, 01:24 PM
I can't say I really know either, although it's not like competition between mods is unusual we've had a lot of messing around from them on the forums.

Mugsy2002
24-08-2003, 01:29 PM
If ya' dont mind me askin', Where the hell is DC co-op? these people said that i have played it when i have not seen any release yet. I would like to at least play to compare these two Mods.

Irregular Hunter
24-08-2003, 01:35 PM
Now this is a good example on how mods co-operate with each other
http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=13757
Why couldn't DC coop be like that?

Hezus
24-08-2003, 02:06 PM
Well, I know DC has a different way of thinking. He`s very eager to competition. He wants to win or otherwise, you know what.

Well, in my eyes the competition is no issue. Modifications just do their work and people choose their favorite. Some have more members then others, and they might just be SvenCo-op.

I first really felt the forums as a life. Now it`s more the mapping that brings me here. Helping other mappers with theirs and posting my maps here.

To be honest, I hardly/never play SvenCo-op online. It`s really the mapping that keeps me here.

Sph!nx
25-08-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Hezus

Well, in my eyes the competition is no issue. Modifications just do their work and people choose their favorite. Some have more members then others, and they might just be SvenCo-op.

Well ... I haven't been on the forums lately because of a
error with our ISP (but its all fixed now) and I don't know what this mod is..but I do agree with Hezus on this. this counts for all mods.

Originally posted by Hezus

To be honest, I hardly/never play SvenCo-op online. It`s really the mapping that keeps me here.

Ya me too. Maybe V3.o will change that... It would make the mapping more fun anyway.

Hezus
26-08-2003, 01:33 PM
* pays Sphinx $50 for agreeing with Hezus :p

I must add that I don`t play CS anymore, and Sven is far more attractive now. Since I`ve been to that giant LAN party and I`ve seen all those ugly dorks owning ppl at CS, I didn`t want to play CS anymore ;)..