PDA

View Full Version : Sven Competitions anyone?

Uncle
20-08-2003, 01:56 PM
I was browsing the archives and..... OMG, Sven Coop used to have competitions?!

Well, I think it'll be nice if we could have a competition just before 3.0 comes out. Sort of a goodbye celebration for ver 2.1 as well..... Besides, with all the crap that has happened in the community recently, I think the community needs a morale boost. What better way than a competition?

The archives mentioned a lack of active clans, getting servers to host the tournaments, difficulties in getting players to show up on time, technicalities about how to judge who wins/loses...... I have some ideas that may solve some of these problems, but more importantly, is anyone interested?

[kk]Guardian-tpf-
20-08-2003, 03:04 PM
I was thinking of my own idea of a competition using opposing force. Maybe if we can get enough people who have it to sign up to start a little tournament. 4 people go through the svencoop opposing force version and receive points for doing certain things. It would be perfect since no one knows what changes I did >:)
This is what I was thinking for the point system:
1 point - completion of a map without dieing (per person, suicides counts as death)
5 points - everyone doesn't die in a map
2 points - for every npc kept alive
20 points - if EVERY npc is kept alive through the game
2 points - every secret found
1 point - if every enemy is killed, per map
20 points - if EVERY enemy is killed
.1 points - for every enemy eaten with a barnacle ;)

Mutant
20-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Sven Co-op has some pretty varied maps and so in regards to a points system, two systems could be implementated: One would be a general one that could be managed over all maps, i.e. like the one Guardian mentioned. Or you could have one made for each map, for example, 5 points awarded for each monster spawn destroyed in svencooprpg, and -5 points for each 5 minutes taken to take down the osprey in osprey. The second system sounds appealling to me; though I doubt it would to any organiser - sounds like a hell of a job to organise. :p

Anyway, I'd really support a competition if it could be set up - my favourite games of Sven Co-op have always been when they've been organised and set up beforehand, for example beta tests and the odd normal game with friends. It's a great way to unwind, and there's nothing better than playing with people you know.
And of course a bit of competition (as in this case) adds that somewhat lacking element of pressure to Sven Co-op, thus hopeful making it that little bit funner to play. :D

cscarlet
20-08-2003, 07:47 PM
well creepsworld hosted one, was knocked out first round but was brilliant fun even though the map we were on none of us had been on before

Uncle
20-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Yes, but the important thing is, how many people are interested enough to commit to competitive play? First the community must be interested.

Guardian's point system is good (but I dunno what the barnacle bit is about :)), but this is a bit too..... traditional. It will work of course, but it's basically like team deathmatch (two teams vs each other, just that the teams' tactics do not affect each other since they play separately). I don't think this works for coop, and maybe that's why the previous competitions didn't work out.

OK, OK, I know some of you are about to ask, "How then can we decide who wins and loses if we don't have the teams compete against each other?". I'm getting to that.

I suggest the teams play as a league. The teams WILL THEN PLAY IN PAIRS, each team getting the chance to play TOGETHER WITH each one of the other teams. THEY WILL NOT play against each other, they will play TOGETHER. In other words, they will COOPerate. At the end of the game, both teams will get the same amount of points based on their performance (more on this later). Every team will coop at least once with each one of the other teams, and they will play together for mutual benefit since in the end they get the same scores to add to their team's league total. If the two teams coop well together, they both get more points, if not they both get less points. Live and die together; THAT is coop.

It would be even better to have a home-away system, so that each clan will provide the server and host the other clan at least once. Only change is that each team will now play with each other one twice, once one their own home server and once on the other team's server. The maps should be a particular competition map rotation, so all the teams play the same set of maps. Probably 4-5 maps for the competition is a good figure.

At the end of the competition, the team that cooperated the best with all the other teams should have the most points, and will be declared league winner. That team will undoubtedly be the Best Coop Team. Hope you guys understand my idea.

Point-scoring can be like Guardian's, but I'd prefer some adjustments. First let's have friendly fire on and the appropriate penalties for killing mates. It may seem unfair that a team paired with an incompetent friendly-fire-prone team will suffer as well, but my reasoning is this: the better team failed to teach the incompetant one. In Sven, you must teach the noobs, so if you don't do that in the contest, you suffer the same fate the noobs suffer.

I also don't think time should be a scoring factor. First, you'd have to balance the value of time with the value of the kill/death scores (which will certainly be contributing in some way), so this will involve some obscure calculations that players will not like. I saw some complaining on this point concerning the creepsworld competition.

Second, rushing for time is stressful, and Sven is not stress, it's all about fun! Let players have the time to talk and think, and get to know each other too! the contest should be enjoyable, and a time-related score is bad for that.

Third, scoring alone is pretty objective, deaths are obvious, and if you killed all the monsters on the map, the total score should be about the same, +/- a little. This of course creates problems when monsters can spawn an indefinite number of times, so on maps like svencooprpg2 or osprey, I'd say let the score be negative. Meaning the more monsters you have to kill to finish it, the lower your score.

This way, if the map rotation was something like blackops, osprey, shattered, wired & svencooprpg2, the teams earn points on wired, blackops and shattered by killing as much as possible and avoiding getting killed, and try to lose as little points as possible on osprey and svencooprpg2 by killing as few enemies as possible. This does create problems with some maps that do have some indefinite monster spawns like hostage, so these might have to be score-losing maps too, or avoided altogether. The map selection will just need to be balanced between score-losing maps and score-gaining maps. So while the amount of monsters you can kill in the score-gaining maps is fixed (you just need to kill them all, and die as little as possible!), there is no limit to how much score you can lose at the score-losing maps. Hence, the score-losing maps will probably be the deciding factor, and rightly so. [Cmon, scoring shouldn't emphasize simple walkthroughs with fixed amounts of monsters, any noob could win that eventually.]

A problem will be the one or two monsters on the score-losing maps that do not respawn indefinitely, like the big_momma in svencooprpg2. An admin could probably just observe that the teams killed these particular special cases, and add a bonus for doing so, otherwise teams will run away from the big_momma and not kill it coz it will add to their negative score. Another problem is that after killing the monster spawn (or doing whatever that stops the monster from spawning) the teams might prefer to leave the last few monsters alive to avoid adding to thier negative score. Probably ok; the downside the teams will have to accept for doing that is that these monsters will harass them, lag the game, etc.

Other arena maps could be included, but I don't know whether they spawn monsters randomly or use the same ones each time. Guess it would depend on the individual map, I usually only play osprey, and that map is ok for this system.

The maps will have to be chosen by someone or nominated in some way, but OpFor maps will limit the game to just those who have OpFor. Probably not fair to the rest who don't have OpFor but also want to play.

I wouldn't award points for finding secrets, bcoz this limits the contest to using new unplayed maps. Also, since the maps HAVE to be distributed to all competitors, they could easily start the map on their own and look for the secrets prior to competition.

The prizes? Umm.... free Golden Uzi and electric crowbar? If you already have them, you get your donation back? :)

What do you think?

Qwerty
20-08-2003, 09:38 PM
If you want, ill have my clan (HLR) sponsor this if there will be one. I'd like to do this :P

Uncle
20-08-2003, 09:50 PM
We need more interest..... doesn't look like there are many people interested in competitions.

Should I start a poll?

Kalashnikovo
20-08-2003, 10:15 PM
I would start a poll yes. '

'should there be Sven Competitions"

Synchro!
04-09-2003, 11:33 AM
hmmmmm a competition for sc? i cant imagine this, but perhaps it could be very cool.

cscarlet
04-09-2003, 12:33 PM
Creepsworld had one before as I said, me and my merry crew had great fun even though we were knocked out first time and half the other teams didn't show up, unfortunatly for my team our competitor actually showed up

Uncle
04-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Forget it. Not enough people are interested, it seems.

Scarlet spidey
04-09-2003, 04:42 PM
I'm interested in a non clan compitention.
but a team comp would be cool.
like, me and a friend against 2 other people.
Keep it small tho.
And if this guy drops it, I'm picking it up.