PDA

View Full Version : Steam Rev0lution

Qwerty
12-09-2003, 08:54 PM
This revolution I might have just created, ISNT on abandoning Half-life nor Steam.

My opinion and such for steam is:
Steam is currently in its BETA version, so that doesnt really give you a right to say it sucks and everything. For one thing, its pretty useful actually. An example would be, starting any mod (Opossing Force for example) in Steam, then going to Console while playing, and typing in like ex. It would give you a correction list with everything that includes "ex" in the beginning. For sure, "exit" would be in the drop down list. That is really useful. There are some useful stuff in it. But the rest of steam is either Memory Eating, Buggy, Chuggyness, etc. But this is the BETA, so most of the bugs or all of the bugs you may have already found, have a 90% likelyhood of being fixed in the final version of Steam.

Steam is a really good idea. They should keep up the work and fixing bugs.

My Vote: 3/5

CTTT: None

---

If your going to Reply, say it in a FORMAT like this.

Opinion/Etc: <Opinions, etc.>
My Vote: #/5
CTTT: <[C]omments [T]owards [T]his [T]hread>

Kuroneko
12-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Well, I like Steam. True, it's buggy. Partly because of the large ammount of people that tried it, but did not help in the debugging process. Since WON is going down, Steam will become a required evil: Either learn to love it, or abandon HL. I shall continue to use it, even though it's bugs, caused by the people that complain of them, can dampen the program.

3/5

CTTT: You may not agree with me, don't worry, you live too far away for me to care :o

tweak
12-09-2003, 09:06 PM
It doesn't even work!

Turrican
12-09-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by tweak
It doesn't even work!
quoted for emphasis

Sven Viking
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Steam is currently in its BETA version
Umm, no, the version released last night was the first non-beta version of Steam.

Hezus
12-09-2003, 09:25 PM
Install works fine for me, but the updating is so damn slow. Glad I hardly play online...

EvilPentaPenguin
12-09-2003, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Hezus
Install works fine for me, but the updating is so damn slow. Glad I hardly play online...

Looks like I'll be playing a bit more ut2k3 more often now! I'm not wasting my time with Steam. Well, I might play some board games, but that's it! ;D

Mr. Chris
12-09-2003, 09:47 PM
The copy in my Sierra dir is still 1.1.1.0

The copy in my Steam dir is 1.1.2.0

Originally posted by EvilPentaPenguin

Looks like I'll be playing a bit more ut2k3 more often now!

Well, I'll be spending more time with Enemy Territory :D until things with Steam fix up

tweak
12-09-2003, 09:48 PM
Haha, the non beta crashes more, has more bugs, etc. than the beta did!

SharkMan
12-09-2003, 11:22 PM
doesn't work for me either tweak were in the same boat, and that boat is called the Titanic.

WoadRaider
13-09-2003, 12:24 AM
i'm not going to say i havent had problems with Steam...because i certainly have...but i'm still not going to abandon everything.

i'm going with the thought that the content servers have probably had a pretty severe stress placed on them. my guess is that a lot more people grabbed at Steam non-beta than tried the beta form. I didnt have problems with the beta, which is why i'm guessing its the sheer volume of users thats part of the problem (someone else mentioned something like this in one of the other threads here, i'm agreeing with that)

tweak
13-09-2003, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by SharkMan
doesn't work for me either tweak were in the same boat, and that boat is called the Titanic. Well, at least we're not the only ones.

Mr. Chris
13-09-2003, 12:55 AM
The only gripe I have is I cannot use the high definition pack nor my custom sounds and models pack!

3.5/5

B.G.Y.-11
13-09-2003, 02:29 AM
0/5.

Aside from the obvious advantages of WON and the inherent disadvantages of Steam, let me offer this:

The attitude by VALVe regarding this issue was, quite frankly, despicable and disloyal. WON was the workhorse that shouldered the burden of the HL multiplayer community, and VALVe's message was: "Oh well, out with the old, in with the new!"
This reminds me, in many ways, of the indifferent treatment we gave our Vietnam veterans after the Southeast Asia conflict. When they came back, some didn't notice them, some didn't care, some even spat on and verbally assaulted them, the administration claimed no responsibility for their affairs in any practical sense of the term. When WON was kicked out, there are obvious parallels.
Equally saddening was the fact that VALVe didn't care about the piece of their soul that many HL'ers would be losing. It may seem comical to the outsider, but anyone playing HL online for any sizable amount of time can and will tell you that there's nothing like "Server requiring WON authentication" or "userid: 319614". We have grown accustomed, like two old tango partners, to the marriage of player and WON.
VALVe, don't become a whore to the whims of the fast paced gaming industry and release something like this without some sort of CLOSURE, some sense of JUSTICE to the abuse some of us have been giving to the system that may fall prey to hackers at times yet always did its best: let us not repeat the cycle of indifference, hate, and/or rage that we showed to our Vietnam veterans (even so, they got a memorial).
Do SOMETHING to ease this terrible transition: a site/museum dedicated to the nostalgia of WON, complete with a history, screenshots of funny WON errors or quirks, a place where fans of the old system can recount their old myriad tales of wherever the twisting, turning WON took them, and, to make it complete, a WON ID masterlist, made public like the way of the Vietnam Veterans' Memorial.
I am sure that our community will support whatever financing/donations are needed, so all that is required from you is the motivation, the hard work, and most of all, a sense of loyalty to the system, that has, undoubtedly, indirectly generated you people millions of dollars.
So what's wrong with a bit of gratitude?

Freaking Neo
13-09-2003, 02:47 AM
What i hate about steam is, that you have to download a 420 file (Half-life), to play it, WHY DOESNT IT JUST FUCKIGN TAKE THE FILES FROM YOUR CURRENT HALFLIFE FOLDER AND PUT IT INTO A PACKAGE OR WHATEVER STEAM USES, BUT NOOOO, LETS JUST FORCE THEM TO DOWNLOAD IT
I have a download limit of 5000 mb a month, i really DONT want to redownload a 5 year old game, just to play it, so this means im out, fuck halflife, fuck steam, they better change this system to actually packaging your current halflife stuff instead of forcing you to download it

Qwerty
13-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Freaking Neo
What i hate about steam is, that you have to download a 420 file (Half-life), to play it, WHY DOESNT IT JUST FUCKIGN TAKE THE FILES FROM YOUR CURRENT HALFLIFE FOLDER AND PUT IT INTO A PACKAGE OR WHATEVER STEAM USES, BUT NOOOO, LETS JUST FORCE THEM TO DOWNLOAD IT
I have a download limit of 5000 mb a month, i really DONT want to redownload a 5 year old game, just to play it, so this means im out, fuck halflife, fuck steam, they better change this system to actually packaging your current halflife stuff instead of forcing you to download it

Yes I know. Valve should just make the update a standalone so you go to like fileplanet and download it there or something.

Lord Booga
13-09-2003, 09:53 AM
You're crazy BGY-11. WON was a bloody CD key authentication server/system, not some damned holy object. Steam does the same thing as WON, but intergrated into Valves own software/servers instead (I believe Sierra actually runs the WON servers - but Valve maintains/operates them).

If you ignore the content streaming and extra features, Steam == WON. Theres no damned difference.

All this crap is making me sick. Shut the hell up about WON. IT DOESN'T MATTER.

As for needing to download HL again, you don't. Steam can convert your existing copy perfectly. It did with mine.

13-09-2003, 09:54 AM
i cant start a game

im want to kill valve

and gabe

EDIT : oh w00t its working now :)

JDW
13-09-2003, 11:07 AM
It does suck, but i have a won id and a steam id. Start up the won id by clicking on desktop icon (original one) instead of steaming for half life (games , blah) for a steam id

Navck
13-09-2003, 04:37 PM
-5/5
It really sucks
It crashes my system
It says if I don't use it, it will reformat my system(not kidding)
Its slow
It REALLY sucks
I like WON better

Sven Viking
13-09-2003, 06:07 PM
Take a screenshot of that reformatting message

tweak
13-09-2003, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Navck

It says if I don't use it, it will reformat my system(not kidding)
I don't believe that. It's kinda hard.