PDA

View Full Version : Sven, how long do you think it will be until we can all play on Steam?

Berserk Exodus
15-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Yes, Sven Coop is my favorite mod, and I'm itching to play it after losing all my mods to Win32 JEEFO. (No, I'm not that stupid, my brother got it and it came over the LAN. I had to reload MS-DOS, Win 98, and Win 2000 SIX times.)

Sven Viking
15-09-2003, 03:14 AM
Afraid I don't know... it just depends on when Erik manages to fix the bug in Steam that causes SvenCo-op to crash.

Edit: Erik Johnson from Valve, I mean

PD-KC
15-09-2003, 07:17 AM
A radical idea popped into my mind a while ago... what if Svencoop Team declined Valves help with SC2, and made the mod without them? That is if you really are against Steam... Please let me know if this is absolutely unthinkable. :o

Freaking Neo
15-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by PD-KC
A radical idea popped into my mind a while ago... what if Svencoop Team declined Valves help with SC2, and made the mod without them? That is if you really are against Steam... Please let me know if this is absolutely unthinkable. :o

Thats the dumbest thing ever, Getting help from Valve is the best thing that can happen to you if you have a HL mod

Berserk Exodus
15-09-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Sven Viking
Afraid I don't know... it just depends on when Erik manages to fix the bug in Steam that causes SvenCo-op to crash.

Edit: Erik Johnson from Valve, I mean
Ugh, so I guess it solely rests on him to get it fixed... And the WON servers are to close in two weeks... Ungood.

But, about Steam, I finally downloaded HL and CS and they work a lot better than they did on WON. If you think about it, WON usually took a lot longer to load up a game than Steam. The two systems are almost identical, excluding the auto-update feature.

Jason Fairmount
15-09-2003, 09:21 AM
It's the "Out of sfx_t" bug all over again XD

Mutant
15-09-2003, 09:36 AM
You didn't think we'd have a community without something to complain about? ;)

Raging_Wulf
15-09-2003, 09:49 AM
I wouldnt be surprised if we would have to wait a month, or an update or 2, before that crashing bug is fixed. But as it's only Sven Co-op that does this (tell me if there's any other mod with this problem) there must be something unique in SC that's doing it.

The_6th_Monkey
15-09-2003, 10:15 AM
My NS doesn't work either :(

Mr. Chris
15-09-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Freaking Neo

Thats the dumbest thing ever, Getting help from Valve is the best thing that can happen to you if you have a HL mod

But how long before Valve wants to "Buy" the mod from Sven, as they did with CS and DOD?

Freaking Neo
15-09-2003, 02:03 PM
I dont hope sven would say yes to that, he knows what happend to CS and DoD.
and besides, when valve bought DoD, they made it so goddamn awful, the versions before 1.0 were so much better

Mr. Chris
15-09-2003, 02:11 PM
I can agree on that Neo, they did fuck it up, but how? Last time I played DOD I had no problems.

Please don't accept any offer from Valve to make SC retail, Sven :(

cscarlet
15-09-2003, 02:17 PM
nah dont go retail sell through steam to let elite people like me get it before everyone else

Panzerfaust
15-09-2003, 02:38 PM
Nonono, go retail, but hold the copyrights and ownership of the mod to yourself (if you can.).

cscarlet
15-09-2003, 02:51 PM
dod went retail, we currently have sold 1 copy of it compaired to several thousands compaired to half life

Exitus
15-09-2003, 04:47 PM
Do not go retail, or if you do, make sure they don't cahrge us anything for it, and maintain the copyright laws. Let them help you, but don't let them take over. also make sure to have more content made by your in house content creators then valve, or they might say they did most work, so it is theirs, so keep up the good work!!!

Berserk Exodus
15-09-2003, 05:16 PM
Yeah, independent mods are so much better than official mods. I think that Valve is only going to take in mods that are REALLY popular, like NS. Although, I wouldn't want SC to go official, I like it too much...

Qwerty
15-09-2003, 06:10 PM
Off-Topic: Steam says I have Half-Life Platinum installed... Can anyone say.., bugs?

Berserk Exodus
15-09-2003, 06:41 PM
I have come to a conclusion: Counter-Strike and Half-Life are free. Why would they care about selling copies of them when they are just going to make more money off or HL² and CS2?

The whole reason it is free is because they are using us as ANOTHER test to prepare for HL². You have to realize, HL² is the real bad-boy here. I've been playing CS and HL (Yes, SINGLE-PLAYER!) all day. I'm sorry for all you Steam-haters, but Steam is GREAT! I am currently downloading Opposing Force right now. Don't tell me Steam is bad.

JDW
16-09-2003, 02:15 AM
Originally posted by Qwerty
Off-Topic: Steam says I have Half-Life Platinum installed... Can anyone say.., bugs?
Bleh.. youve got OpF Bshift and half life.. and cs retail on steam. use it to your advantage

-Rusty-
16-09-2003, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by Qwerty

Heh same thing happened to me. But the only thing I actually got for free was HL. I bought BlueShift/Op4, and CS Retail(Came with every other mod on the "Games" list).

Fire_Angel
16-09-2003, 11:00 AM
Hope we can play SC online soon (my old installation says"u have to install that custom mod to play it o_O")

ByTheWay: Steam takes ages to load....

Opened up steam...... 3minutes gone.... 6minutes gone, still nothing to see.... oh yeah now the thingy with the connect button..... 10minutes gone... finnaly it pops up that I'm able to select a game I want to play..... 13 minutes gone... yay im in game... wow only 13 minutes this time to start playing

hm HalfLife and ingame server browser just took 20 seconds to start and to play....

Freaking Neo
16-09-2003, 11:09 AM
NEVER!

Purple Monkey
16-09-2003, 11:33 AM
Yea hl is now taking 3-4 seconds to start up.

I still have to start steam tho which adds 3 - 4 minutes at least.

Raging_Wulf
16-09-2003, 12:19 PM
maybe they're still under bandwidth pressure? Besides, Steam was designed to be run 24/7, not when you feel like it.

Suicidal
16-09-2003, 01:07 PM
dont worry won still works for a while, im sure theres still some sc servers who havent gone to steam yet.

AkXb70
16-09-2003, 03:36 PM
will you need to run steam to plan lan games too or is it just internet games that require steam? right now, steam wont even let me connect, it times out every time i run it

Sven Viking
16-09-2003, 04:53 PM
Apparently they're intending to allow Steam to be used off-line for playing Half-Life, in about two weeks... or something. I'm not totally certain.

Mr. Chris
16-09-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm betting the new 3.0 will be out by the first week of October.

Berserk Exodus
16-09-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Sven Viking
Apparently they're intending to allow Steam to be used off-line for playing Half-Life, in about two weeks... or something. I'm not totally certain.

I've been playing Half-Life single-player for the past few days, does that count?

I'm betting the new 3.0 will be out by the first week of October.

When WILL V3.0 come out? Any chosen date Sven?

Sven Viking
17-09-2003, 02:32 AM
It now depends on when Valve gets the Steam bug fixed. I don't know when that might be, at the moment.

Berserk Exodus
17-09-2003, 07:31 AM
Bah, bad times for Sven Coop eh? I guess you're just at the mercy of Valve... Ungood yet again.

JDW
21-09-2003, 08:48 AM
Look at te sticky at the top of general