PDA

View Full Version : Valve drops support for WONid's - So What !!!

{ARES}-Sparks
15-09-2003, 01:34 PM
I'm not concerned that Valve is droppong support for WONid's. Someone, something, somewhere will provide support for them in the future just as Sierra did in the past. Whether its a new enterprize company providing a centralized server, or user-created standalone programs installed on their own machines doesn't matter to me. Consumers will still be able to use a product that they have purchased, and connect with other users of the product, just as they always have in the past. So what if the manufacturer of the product tells you it's obsolete and they will no longer support it. Doesn't matter, that's MY choice, I own it, you can't take it away from me, and you can't force me to quit using it.

There is nothing unique about WON id's. It's nothing more than a number (and I am not a number). How this effects the use of a software package named Halflife doesn't matter. You don't need this specific number to play Halflife on your computer. You do need the cd key that was supplied on your legal purchased copy for installation, but beyond that, you are not required to have anything else.

Why cry that "I need this number to play over the internet!" That's only because of the method that the WON servers used. That does not mean it's a requirement that all servers must use this same method to activate YOUR product (Remember, your product was already activated by using the cd key you typed in). It was just a method of getting the software online by the server system responding to the request. The server responding to the request does not have to be the ones provided by the software distributor, does it? I can make that request go to any server I feel like. If the one I send the request to responds ok, what difference would it make? Will that number be used for verification? Doesn't matter. Was it a requirement that you MUST have a WONid to use your software over a network, for permission to connect to other users of their purchased copy of Halflife? I don't think so. LAN game, anyone?

Dropping support for arbitrary ID numbers won't force anyone to purchace a new product using a new verification system, no matter how much a marketing or sales guru wants to wave their hand in the air and say "Make it so." Over a million previous (now obsolute, because I said so) copys sold, makes it not so. I don't need the lastest and greatest version of anything. What I've spent my money on previously does me quite well, thank you very much.

ps - Has anyone been able to get Gordon running around, killing headcrabs and zombies? I don't have an internet connection and want to use my upgraded program. What happened to my single player experience?

Robert S. Delinsky

Purple Monkey
15-09-2003, 01:46 PM
Im not sure how WON works(ed), but for some one to set up a WON server wont they need to have the EXACT same ip address as the WON ones do(did)?

Raging_Wulf
15-09-2003, 01:49 PM
So if I understand you correctly, you're saying you want to launch your own Won Server, or that you want someone to do it? Pretty hard when only one company has the servers with all the stuff necessary on the machines.

Even if it did work, how many people would know about it? How many online fansites would've kept the old versions of the mods and hl update (v1.1.1.0) ?

I'd rather have 5,000 different HL servers on Steam to choose from, rather than 5 using an aged engine using an aged online gaming system (and which would probably be buggy as hell as you would probably have to program the won proggie yourself, I dont think Valve would just hand that over to ya) with about 13 other people?

You may do so, if you wish, but I'm gonna keep up with what Valve has to offer in the future, which will of course not support the won based versions.

Raging_Wulf
15-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Purple Monkey
Im not sure how WON works(ed), but for some one to set up a WON server wont they need to have the EXACT same ip address as the WON ones do(did)? Maybe, but not necessarily. Someone just gotta find out where in HL those IP adresses are held and make an update program for anyone to download which changes this to point at the new ip.

WoadRaider
15-09-2003, 07:30 PM
not that it really matters, but i think they're in Half-Life\valve\woncomm.lst ...

Lord Booga
16-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Don't see anyone setting up a independant WON server anytime soon. They'd need to reverse engineer whatever protocol it uses (fairly difficult) then set up their own server, and master servers, which would consume quite a bit of bandwidth I imagine.

They'd also need to get ahold of the method used to create WonID's - which nobody has done yet, and probably never will.

Add to the fact that they'd never be able to play anything other than v1.1.1.0 - no bug fixes, no updates, and probably no new mods either. And forget about using it for HL2.

SinistarFITH
26-09-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Raging_Wulf
Maybe, but not necessarily. Someone just gotta find out where in HL those IP adresses are held and make an update program for anyone to download which changes this to point at the new ip.

I doubt it's as difficult as that. Chances are, the WON ID auth server is using a domain name instead of a pure IP address (so that they can move the server around), so all you need to do is figure out that domain name and slap it into your hosts file, typically c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, with the IP to which you want your machine to redirect the request.

No update program necessary. Just Notepad.

Raging_Wulf
26-09-2003, 09:38 AM
And I doubt just anyone would want to do all that just so they can play 1.1.1.0...