PDA

View Full Version : New steam release soon!

Freaking Neo
16-09-2003, 06:49 AM
Yes, another steam thread, but this one should make quite alot of people happy

Here's what's going on at Steam HQ:

We ran into some pretty serious bandwidth and server limitations after the release last week, which has caused several other problems like long wait times and UI unresponsiveness. The load is starting to die down now and we're getting more content servers lined up, so these problems are becoming less frequent. As more people begin using the new installers which include the game caches, their experience using Steam will improve greatly. If you're having problems connecting to Steam or launching Counter-Strike, please download the latest version of the installer and give it a try.
Some other Steam problems -- "JIT" error messages, expired ticket errors, etc -- will be fixed with a Steam update this week.
Other stuff:

Counter-Strike 1.5 is still available, and will be for a couple of weeks. After we're confident that the Steam authentication servers are functioning as they should (and not before), we'll be turning off the WON servers and migrating everyone over to the new system.
There have been some reports of the Conversion Wizard failing during account creation. If this happens for you, please try downloading and installing the most recent version of the Steam client from one of the mirrors listed on this site.
We're preparing a new installer on CD for cyber-cafe owners. Contact biz@steampowered.com if you're interested in receiving this.
We've heard from several people who are having trouble getting their MODs working with Steam. We've updated our FAQ with new information about this. Check it out and then email us if you're still having trouble.

I especially like that they fixed the ticket stuff, i've been getting those alot

Danielsan
16-09-2003, 07:11 AM
ohhh that sounds good

Hezus
16-09-2003, 07:58 AM
Great ! I hope I can log in then. Seems Steam doesn`t like 56 K-ers either. But hell, who likes`m anyway ? :p

Freaking Neo
16-09-2003, 08:15 AM
Someone on TS forums said Steam works fine on 56k, hardly any lag, everything updated, no problems at all

Lightwolf
16-09-2003, 08:25 AM
Some other Steam problems -- "JIT" error messages, expired ticket errors, etc -- will be fixed with a Steam update this week.

Yeah, this should be good.

Raging_Wulf
16-09-2003, 10:40 AM
We've heard from several people who are having trouble getting their MODs working with Steam.

Now, that's what I'm the most concerned about. If fixed = Svencoop on Steam! Yay!

Sven Viking
16-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Unfortunately, that line was just about people who didn't know which directory to copy their mods into. It seems that they havent officially announced the 'some mods crash' problem yet.

Ger2
16-09-2003, 06:22 PM
i love STEAM
there is only one problem

Master_America
16-09-2003, 06:37 PM
I remember when I was looking through the serverlist, I saw one Sven Coop server in there, and a server for some game called "HL Teamplay". I know I saw them, I tried to join them but it just crashed HL. You sure there's no way to get it to work?

Gsgt-Bball
16-09-2003, 07:21 PM
I also seen the svencoop server!!:wtf:

Raging_Wulf
17-09-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Master_America
I remember when I was looking through the serverlist, I saw one Sven Coop server in there, and a server for some game called "HL Teamplay". I know I saw them, I tried to join them but it just crashed HL. You sure there's no way to get it to work?

Half-Life Teamplay

4 Teams, named 'recon', 'hgrunt', 'barney', and 'zombie' (named after the models used) fight eachother. Their names and teams are color coded. RED, GREEN, YELLOW and BLUE, in the same order as I listed the teams.

The Svencoop server you saw... might've been so that SvenCo-Op doesnt crash when run as a dedicated server? do you remember if there was any people in it? You do know that if you type '-game svencoop- in half-life's advanced options and dont currently have 2.1 installed a folder with that name will be created - and your server (if you start any) will be listed as a Svenco-op Server, while it's actually just another HLDM. Good to know, huh? I found this out when I was using the parameter -console (cause I thought they had removed the console for those who didnt use that command or changed their config file, just like it was before) and tried starting svencoop, it created a folder called Svencoop-console.

Well, shortly after I wrote that reply earlier, I did check the FAQ and I saw that the crash bug hasnt been listed. Seems Valve aint too willing to admit failures, especially with the first release via a new system, ey?

Cause they did say that Custom mods would work just like before!