PDA

View Full Version : Weapon dropping system?

Mikko
20-09-2003, 05:29 AM
The new weapon dropping system. What is it all about? Can Sven descrive it at all? How about a gameplay video about it? Will there be any?

Sph!nx
20-09-2003, 05:32 AM
If you have read the news then .....

Quote :

Our new weapon dropping system is a lot of fun, too... I've spent ages just playing around with it :). It really can't be described, though... you have to see it. Hopefully we'll have time to make up a demonstration video sometime soon.

Freaking Neo
20-09-2003, 05:38 AM
I made a movie

Felix
20-09-2003, 05:47 AM
If im authorized to say i could, but Mad jonesy gave a hint in his goodbye topic ..... "the new weapon droping physics..."

Uncle
21-09-2003, 07:46 PM
I'm guessing the gun drops, bounces, rolls a bit, then comes to a stop. Where's the video? I wanna see it too!

A side question: I asked some time ago what happens to players with miniguns when sv_dropweapons is set to 0 (ike on those RPG maps), since they can't change weapons they'll obviously face problems if they pick a minigun up. Since this topic was about dropping weapons, I thought it might be the right place to ask.

DrZer0 the 2nd
24-09-2003, 09:10 PM
so basicly the weapon dropping system is alot like the AHL dropping system, but, maybe better? :)

Sven Viking
25-09-2003, 09:46 PM
Hmm, guess I'll need to try the new version of AHL. I'll be surprised if it's as much fun as ours, though :).

Zenny
26-09-2003, 01:12 PM
ooh ooh, could you drop it on a hill and watch it roll down?
that way people could have gun racing! :D

Raging_Wulf
26-09-2003, 02:01 PM
that way people could have gun racing! :D...and then a map called 'gundrop.bsp' would appear and everyone would play that one, where you have to drop the guns right into the enemies' heads to knock them out, as you wouldnt have any ammo...

Panzerfaust
26-09-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Zenny
that way people could have gun racing! :D

It looks like the weapon dropping in Halo, so yes, you could.

Raging_Wulf
26-09-2003, 02:46 PM
Damn... that's one of the things in SC3.0 I was looking forward to, but not wanting to know until I tried it on my own. Well, good that I dont know how it looks like in Halo then! But btw, who knows panzer, maybe someone would take your last post as a spoiler? But whatever, It aint affecting me, so I dont bother. But please, dont publish any demonstration vid on this, as I would get in a struggle otherwise, to keep my mouse off that linky!

Panzerfaust
26-09-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Raging_Wulf
Damn... that's one of the things in SC3.0 I was looking forward to, but not wanting to know until I tried it on my own. Well, good that I dont know how it looks like in Halo then! But btw, who knows panzer, maybe someone would take your last post as a spoiler?

:-/

Come on, it's weapon dropping physics, what did you expect it to look like? :confused:

Gobanzo Mon
26-09-2003, 07:46 PM
Im guessing the weapons will bounce off walls if tossed at one, and they will land parallel to the ground no matter what angle they drop at. I know some people in the SC 3.0 beta test, and they refuse to let anything out :D

Raging_Wulf
27-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Panzerfaust

:-/

Come on, it's weapon dropping physics, what did you expect it to look like? :confused: Good point...

Dang, but I still wont gonna imagine it looking TOO cool, I might get screwed by my own imaginations otherwise.

ThePharaoh
27-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Call it in the air........GUN!

:p

ZeroByte
27-09-2003, 01:09 PM
Oooh.. imagine the useless but cool flourishes you can do with weapons with this system... throw a gun up into the air, fire off a few rounds with another, throw it then catch the one you just threw, and repeat ad nauseum... it's useless but cool fun!

Raging_Wulf
27-09-2003, 02:30 PM
we could call it weapon juggling, and start a sven coop circus that run every 96 hours at a random server! :eek:

ThePharaoh
27-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by ZeroByte
Oooh.. imagine the useless but cool flourishes you can do with weapons with this system... throw a gun up into the air, fire off a few rounds with another, throw it then catch the one you just threw, and repeat ad nauseum... it's useless but cool fun!

Tonight on ESPN: Raquet-Gauss. To the victor, the praise and accolades of millions and to the looser, a swift and bloody crowbar bashing!

Now that I think about...how much fun could a crowbar as a thrown attack be? The possibilities are endless.

Of course, a baseball bat and a room full of baby headcrabs could be an afternoon of mindless entertainment.

BloodShed
29-09-2003, 04:51 AM
I hope droping/throwing the weapons can give a little damage to enemies like grenades in CS (I 1hp and someone killed me by throwing FlashBang in my head).

ex. you go toe to toe with a grunt and you run out of ammo and the grunt is allmost dead. What do you do?
you throw your gun at him and kill him :D
now THAT would be cool :D:D:D

Raging_Wulf
29-09-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by BloodShed
[b]I hope droping/throwing the weapons can give a little damage to enemies like grenades in CS (I 1hp and someone killed me by throwing FlashBang in my head).

ex. you go toe to toe with a grunt and you run out of ammo and the grunt is allmost dead. What do you do?
you throw your gun at him and kill him
now THAT would be cool

it would give a new meaning to become a crowbar madman (those who insist to only use crowbar) as they would have another wacky attack.

And just so you know, the grenade throwing in CS is done just like the grenades in HL. Though, these ones have been coded to do damage if you get hit by one in the head.

Actually throwing away a grenade at an enemy (lets take an enemy player in this case) would simply give that player the grenade - like throwing one without pulling out the sprint.

ThePharaoh
03-10-2003, 03:09 PM
Or even grenades versus crowbar...incoming grenades could be swatted back to the enemy by using the crowbar like a bat...which I can't tell you how many times I've wasted ammo and health shooting at an incoming grenade.

slippery
04-10-2003, 12:10 AM
somewhere it said juggling grenades or such, does this mean if an nme grunt threw a nade at you you could throw it back?

Berserk Exodus
04-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Exactly.

Nemesis6
04-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Though it's impressive, it's completely useless if it's just for weapons that are dropped.

Sven Viking
04-10-2003, 07:30 AM
Well, it's useful for maps where weapons/ammo are scarce. You can throw a gun directly to a player in need of a weapon, from a fair distance away. Obviously that sort of situation is rare in SC, though... I was thinking of a couple of systems that'd make it useful, but they'd take too long to set up./