PDA

View Full Version : Simpler temporary SC Steam fix:

Sven Viking
21-09-2003, 08:28 PM
Here's a simpler way of getting SvenCo-op to work in Steam:

- Copy your SvenCoop\ folder to your C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\email@address.com\half-life\ directory.
- Rename or delete the SvenCoop\cl_dlls\client.dll file

This is actually exactly what the previously posted fix is doing... it's just bypassing the SvenCo-op client dll (this is also why there's various strangeness, like the missing Uzi firing effects). It's just that it is possible to play using the default Half-Life client.dll.

So obviously Steam doesn't like something in the SvenCo-op client.dll. Hope Valve tells us what that is, or just fixes Steam, soon.

cscarlet
22-09-2003, 03:38 AM
i think i'll wait for steam to fix it or tell you whats wrong with it before buggering about with it, only recently got it working

DutchTiger
22-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Thats nice, very nice! If I would know this before, I would do this also :)

Gsgt-Bball
23-09-2003, 07:39 PM
I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled steamfull cache, without installing old halflife now i have no halflife folder in my

steamapps/user@email/

If i make a new halflife folder will it work.

Gsgt-Bball
23-09-2003, 07:59 PM
Hell yes, got it working. But no sound for uzi.

Raging_Wulf
24-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Sven Viking
So obviously Steam doesn't like something in the SvenCo-op client.dll. Hope Valve tells us what that is, or just fixes Steam, soon. I would bet 10$ if I had any, that Valve wont give a damn. So take my advice, start working on a SC3.0 release for Steam instead. Though, it would probably be hard to find the problem, but you could always compare the dll to another mod, like half-life's, for an instance.

And Bball, its called the Silent Ray of Death since 2.1 started working on Steam.

edit: the Uzi problem... could this have anything to do with the client.dll not working properly?

Gsgt-Bball
24-09-2003, 08:09 PM
you get no animation, I couldn't get my mp5 to work ethier.

Raging_Wulf
25-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Try starting a local server, on the map Assaultmesa-2.

I got this error when I tried.

Scarlet spidey
26-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Raging_Wulf

I got this error when I tried. oh fun:)

Snipe-Hunter
27-09-2003, 02:07 PM

hmmm, fun error :wtf:

]SK[
28-09-2003, 04:33 AM
Will version 3 install directly into the steam folder?

Raging_Wulf
28-09-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ]SK[
Will version 3 install directly into the steam folder? it'll probably work the same way as 2.0f and the 2.1 update. You point out the half-life dir (in this case, the one that is lying inside steam's cache) and the install program does the rest. Though, I'm fairly sure that 3.0 will work with both 1.1.1.0 and Steam, though the later depends on Valve's ability to fix the crashing problem with the client dll.

]SK[
29-09-2003, 08:24 AM
Doubt theres much point in them making v3 work with 1.1.1.1 cause soon WON is closing.

DrZer0 the 2nd
29-09-2003, 09:06 AM

that error sure explains alot about its self http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/forums/images/smilies/doubtful.gif

Nih
29-09-2003, 09:30 AM

The first thing the error says, is: "Texture"
The last thing is: "is not 16 aligned"
The rest is probably the texture name.

If you've tried using Wally, you know that a texture has to be "16 aligned" to work.

When you installed steam, it probably fUx0Red some textures.

Raging_Wulf
29-09-2003, 12:32 PM
the question is: What texture is it actually talking about??? I hardly think I could simply scroll down halflife.wad and find a texture with a strange name like that.

so what? Simple. It's been fUx0red like you said.

DireEdge
30-09-2003, 09:34 PM
Please release SC3.0 for LAN/WON before you retool it for Steam. It would be great to try out some things in LAN games at least, in case features become impossible.

Raging_Wulf
01-10-2003, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by DireEdge
Please release SC3.0 for LAN/WON before you retool it for Steam. It would be great to try out some things in LAN games at least, in case features become impossible. as to what Ive read from Sven's posts, they are waiting on Valve to fix it. 3.0 will be released on WON, just like any other version of SC has been before.

It's Valve's fault it aint working, not the team's, 'Cause they said all mods would work normally with Steam ( I think they said this )

DireEdge
01-10-2003, 07:39 PM
I am very impressed with SvenCoop's work. I don't want Steam to get in your way.

Berserk Exodus
04-10-2003, 02:56 PM
I need the liblist.gam changes in the topic that disappeared. The way that you did it does not work for me, so if someone knows the changes tell me. I can't play SC once again...

Raging_Wulf
04-10-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Berserk Exodus
I need the liblist.gam changes in the topic that disappeared. The way that you did it does not work for me, so if someone knows the changes tell me. I can't play SC once again... Rename client.dll to something else, like sclient.dll.

Open the liblist.gam with notepad.

Change the line "gamedll" to point at the new sclient.dll. The dll wont load, but will instead allow the half-life one to load, instead of crashing the game.

Though, both methods for getting it to work should work. At least both of them has worked for me.

Berserk Exodus
04-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Done.

Thank ye pardner.

Sven Viking
04-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Changing the liblist.gam is unnecessary... just renaming the client.dll does the trick. "Gamedll" needs to point to the server dll, by the way (it's this way by default). cl_dll can only be 0 or 1... entering a filename just counts as 1.

GRATCH
05-10-2003, 02:52 PM
i got crosshairs working for uzi in Steam, i just replaced with a new set, a small help , maybe.

Raging_Wulf
06-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by GRATCH
i got crosshairs working for uzi in Steam, i just replaced with a new set, a small help , maybe. I didnt have any problems with the crosshair for the silent ray of death as of now.

DireEdge
07-10-2003, 08:51 PM
There's a lot of code in SC now. This code was designed for non-steam HL. The idea of converting SC to work with steam sounds like a huge deal of work. And Valve wont be free to help for months, having the code cleanup that they are having. Plus, you know that Counterstrike is the only mod they care about. They can't even get Blue Shift models integrated...

Sven Viking
07-10-2003, 09:22 PM
In theory, no conversion is supposed to be necessary... all mods are supposed to work with Steam automatically, just as HL v1.1.0.9 mods work in v1.1.1.0 automatically.

Mr. Chris
07-10-2003, 09:31 PM
It's probably gonna be a while, since some dipshit hacked Gabe's email account and leaked the HL2 source. Will take up more of their time.

DireEdge
07-10-2003, 09:32 PM
I am extremely sorry that I was rude.

I guess that I hear many fans hoping for a WON release (2.99?) some time prior to a Steam release.
It will rally fans, who will tell a multitude of friends how much SC kicks ass! Then later (or sooner) you could meet the demand by resolving Steam issues. People would eat this up. The only thing you have to lose with that approach is hype.
I bet that with HL2 delayed 6 months like it is,
people need their HL fix.

poffs
09-10-2003, 06:11 PM
have you guys ever tryed to get valve to licence the mod like the day of deafeat team did then theye definitely wopuld be forced to make your mod work with steam

DireEdge
09-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Valve should appreciate the quality of the mod and the effort you placed in it.
It's better than DoD and Counter crap.
It is certainly more technically advanced than nearly any other mod,
and it's really fun too.
And there has to be some way to convince Valve that licensing it will make more $$$$$ for them and for you.

Sven Viking
09-10-2003, 10:45 PM
Some confusing stuff has gone on in regards to that... hopefully we'll be able to explain it all at some point.

For now we'll just spend time polishing 3.0. If we get everything as good as we want it, and Steam still isn't fixed, I guess we'll need to do a WON-only release. We'll need to make some changes to prevent sfx_t, though.

Uncle
23-10-2003, 10:28 PM
I hope I don't get burned at the stake for daring to suggest this, but...

1. One of the big problems is apparently Steam trying to validate user ID's.

2. One of the fixes done was to disable the ID check.

3. Can SC then be redesigned to totally ignore HL's ID/WON ID/ Steam ID whatever, and just connect to any server any time? Ie connect on it's own like a LAN game, without going through WON or Steam.

Sven Viking
24-10-2003, 05:11 AM
Nope, not as a Half-Life mod.

poffs
24-10-2003, 06:13 AM
ya and then all the donars would never have the golden uzis and electric crowbar (and I just donated) so I dont wont to waqste my 10 buck lol

Cloud34
25-10-2003, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by poffs
ya and then all the donars would never have the golden uzis and electric crowbar (and I just donated) so I dont wont to waqste my 10 buck lol

A bit off topic, but whatever- You should donate out of kindness, etc etc, not expecting something back,etc etc, else it wouldn't be called donating. It would be called trading. Or something.

I'm a big hypocrite so I'll shut up now.

poffs
25-10-2003, 03:50 PM
yes but it would be unfair to all the people who have donated and have been enjoying the new featurs theye have gotten as gifts heck I donated $10 when $6 would have goten me both new weapon enhancements

cscarlet
29-10-2003, 04:10 PM
ok this is rather annoying i thought i would test out svencoop out on steam, so i launched a svencoop server via bygames (since all bookable servers run through steam) and i get dll errors :(
so can't really use it as won't connect via won

Raging_Wulf
29-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by cscarlet
ok this is rather annoying i thought i would test out svencoop out on steam, so i launched a svencoop server via bygames (since all bookable servers run through steam) and i get dll errors :(
so can't really use it as won't connect via won Yeah, its really irritating that dll error. But have you checked out those threads and such about the Steam fixes? But meh, you should just ignore Steam completely until 3.0 is out. 3.0 is the official fix for svencoop on steam, you know.

poffs
29-10-2003, 06:46 PM
um actualy theye dont know if theye can fix the bug woth a patch to seven coop

Raging_Wulf
30-10-2003, 05:40 AM
um actualy theye dont know if theye can fix the bug woth a patch to seven coop

http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16090

3.0 is the patch that fixes it. They've already fixed the problem.

poffs
30-10-2003, 07:17 AM
whatever il let the ignorant stay that way

Raging_Wulf
30-10-2003, 04:45 PM
whatever il let the ignorant stay that way Well I dont understand what you mean by that Svencoop team dont know if they can fix it or not, but Im sure as hell they could if they wanted to, as they fixed the problem with 3.0 in Steam, but why the hell would they bother doing that for 2.1, I rather choose to have 3.0 released sooner than letting Sniper waste his time on an official steam fix for 2.1.

poffs
31-10-2003, 07:15 AM
um I never said theye had to do it for the current version im confedent that the seven co-op team can fix it for v3.0 but theye havent yet (or theye havent let word out yet thats why this thread is not closed yet) and valve has claimed to be woking on it also so who knows who will fix the bug first

Raging_Wulf
31-10-2003, 07:21 AM
They already had fixed it, just like I said, check the god damn link I posted.

edit: Oh, and btw, they wont close this thread as its the current "official" solution for sc2.1 users, it'll probably be unstickied once 3.0 is out, or before that, depends when it'll get released.

poffs
31-10-2003, 01:46 PM
ok sorry then my B then the real problem is the admin of these forums needs to get off his but and close no longer relevent threads
(ya im talkin to you sevenviking)

Vanca
31-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Steam is starting to get on my nerves.....
This was already the 2nd time I installed it and it's the 2nd time it causes an error in steam.dll at startup. I have no clue what I did but I know that it's tickin me off

Raging_Wulf
01-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Vanca
Steam is starting to get on my nerves.....
This was already the 2nd time I installed it and it's the 2nd time it causes an error in steam.dll at startup. I have no clue what I did but I know that it's tickin me off If you're trying to launch hl or any mod via the exe file inside the steamapps folder, forget it, it wont work, except for mods you run via shortcuts (works for me)

to run the official mods and such you have to run them via steam, by going into games menu and double click.

C-J
01-11-2003, 10:13 AM
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I've installed Steam, copied the SvenCoop directory to the Steam/SteamApps/rcj@dircon.co.uk/halflife directory and I've renamed client.dll.

Steam starts up fine and has Sven Co-op 2.1 in the Third Party Games section, but when I click on it, steam just runs normal Halflife.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CJ

PS. Steam. My god, what a pain in the arse. I'm running an XP3000+, Serial ATA disk, broadband etc etc, and it still took the best part of 5 hours effort to download and install it. They can't really be intending to release major content through it, surely?

Raging_Wulf
01-11-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by C-J
Apologies if this is answered elsewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I've installed Steam, copied the SvenCoop directory to the Steam/SteamApps/rcj@dircon.co.uk/halflife directory and I've renamed client.dll.

Steam starts up fine and has Sven Co-op 2.1 in the Third Party Games section, but when I click on it, steam just runs normal Halflife.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

CJ

PS. Steam. My god, what a pain in the arse. I'm running an XP3000+, Serial ATA disk, broadband etc etc, and it still took the best part of 5 hours effort to download and install it. They can't really be intending to release major content through it, surely? Make sure you dont have any custom cmd startup line for hl (like -console or -dev)

And besides, I've been able to install steam before with a 400mhz computer and install it, getting it to fully work within 30 minutes, so its not your specs that is the problem anyways. And besides, you must've downloaded that 700mb install, sux 2 be you, since that conversion guide to convert won hl into steam cache works perfectly fine for me.

C-J
01-11-2003, 12:20 PM
Make sure you dont have any custom cmd startup line for hl (like -console or -dev)

Sorry to be slightly dense, but what command line? I'm attempting to run it through Steam and, as far as I know, there isn't a command line as there would be in a shortcut. I certainly havn't configured anything within steam and apart from copy the svencoop dir over and renaming the dll havn't done anything with svencoop.

Thanks,

CJ

goanna
01-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Just set up a steam server without a problem. Played four maps including one I get sfx_t on everytime and worked great. Sfx_t is fixed, atleast it didn't show up. I had all my custom models, crosshairs were there. One Problem I encountered is liblist.gam. If a person is running admin mod or more importantly metamod the liblist.gam game dll must point to dlls/hl.dll not addons/.... or it won't work. Actually looks better than WON.

Raging_Wulf
01-11-2003, 12:45 PM
Ah, so you didnt know you could go into half-life's properties inside steam and set up a custom command line. It's called 'Launch Options" inside properties. Well, just ignore that part of my post then.

But just so you know, have you tried starting a map when this supposedly Half-Life comes up? Since SC2.1 aint configured to have its own background inside Steam (if you want one anyway, you can find one HERE (http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15764)) but other than that it usually works. Try looking in the server browser, and see what mod it's displaying servers for, and try updating the server list. There's usually 2-3 3.0 beta test servers there. Lastly, try running a listen server on the map of your choice. These are the many different ways you can tell if an unofficial mod is loaded or not (a mod that hasnt been made for Steam, that is)

Uncle
01-11-2003, 02:26 PM
I think we have to recognize that Steam doesn't work for EVERYONE. Every PC is different (that's why it's called a PERSONAL computer), I don't think even Valve has the ability to make something work in everyone's system. I still feel they should've stuck with something that already worked (ie, WON).

Raging_Wulf
01-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Won is outdated. They would have to move on at some point, and they chose with Steam. Still, Steam is better than some shitty Gamespy support (you can tell from this, that I dont like gamespy - friggin' money suckers with ad-support EVERYWHERE)

C-J
01-11-2003, 05:39 PM
Tried letting the Halflife game start in full (after I selected Svencoop)but it was Halflife.

Not too keen on looking at external servers - I am running Sven on a small Lan at my home that my mates and I use for entertainment.

Hopefully SC 3.0 will sort it, but until then I'll stick to 2.1 using the old technique. On that subject (slightly 'OT), has anyon else experiened problems with going back to the menu from SC then finding only the lower half of the screen when you return to the game, Running FX5900 with latest drivers and consistant on all my systems.

Thanks,

CJ

Tinman
24-11-2003, 07:05 PM
The commandline issue is a bug, in the steam dll, at the moment, even Valve are perplex by this not working, but there is a kinda fix but i dont know what ID svencoop is so i guess its a trial and error guess, but the others are:-

make a shortcut ID
===========================
C:\Steam\steam.exe -applaunch 70

Game IDs
=============
Counter Strike: 10
TFC: 20
Day Of Defeat: 30
DMC: 40
Opfor: 50
Ricochet: 60
HL: 70
Dedicated Server: 5

silly i know but this is the only temporary way to get the shortcut system working.

:eek:

Raging_Wulf
25-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Shortcuts to mods inside Steam works just fine though (ordinary shortcuts with the extra line "-game MODNAME"), well as long as Steam is running they work.

Sven Viking
25-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Strange, I have the opposite problem. If Steam is running and I use a mod shortcut, it loads normal Half-Life... but if it's not running when I use the shortcut, the mod loads fine.

Raging_Wulf
25-11-2003, 05:00 PM
I just double-checked now, and it seems both ways work for me to load my mods... have tested both Svencoop and TS, with Steam or without (though without, Steam always loads up when the shortcut is run, before the game boots up).

poffs
25-11-2003, 07:13 PM
whel isint this thred outdated you guys do know about the hacked client.dll so you can play sc 2.1 on steam

manbot
26-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Ive been using the hacked version for two days now, and so far i have encountered NO problems at all! + I now have an actual svencoop background to use so it's working perfectly. (nice one cyto). my only issue is that it automatically gives you the golden uzi and electric crowbar without donating (hey ill do it eventually). Can't we all adopt it as the basic thing to use with steam until 3.0 is out :-) ?

poffs
26-11-2003, 01:53 PM
ya there should be no problem with the glitch that gives the doner bonuses seeing as how v3.0 should have this bug fixed and its sad cus no one is using the new dll and it would be so goo to have sc 2.1 servers on steam other then the 2 that r up with no people on them

coLera
29-11-2003, 12:51 PM
How do I get the svencoop work for steam... I cant see svencoop in the GAMES list when I put it to "Steam/steamapps/my@email/Svencoop"

Does it go there??? What do I hafto do to add it in to the list?
I did the client.dll, so what do I hafto do?

GRATCH
29-11-2003, 05:14 PM
install svencoop to Steam/SteamApps/youremail@email.com/Half-Life folder, is where mine is, with other mods

Jezzerr
01-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Ok, after alot of thinking i decided to install steam. Downloaded the file with Half life and CS cache files in and installed it.

No problems installing, however when i go to copy the Svencoop dir into Steam/SteamApps/youremail@email.com/Half-Life there isn't a "youremail@email.com" directory....

Anyone know why and how to fix this???

Thanks for any help :)

poffs
01-12-2003, 03:36 PM
you did sign up rite you have to sign up for steam as whell as install the installer

Jezzerr
01-12-2003, 03:51 PM
Yup, signed up using my account that i last used a couple of months ago

Raging_Wulf
01-12-2003, 04:16 PM
start half-life and the folders necessary will be created along with the executables and standard configuration files as well.

Jezzerr
01-12-2003, 05:18 PM
Thanks dude :D

Norm[Oldgit]
01-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Anyone got a link to this other version?

I can play SC using STEAM no problem and run my own server but when I look for an Internet game to join the only one(s) with people on them are using a different DLL from me :(

poffs
02-12-2003, 07:35 AM
you need to use the hacked dll talked about a bit earlyer i forgot where to get it tho

Norm[Oldgit]
02-12-2003, 01:43 PM
you need to use the hacked dll talked about a bit earlyer i forgot where to get it tho

That was a great help [/sarc] I also saw it talked about earlier - thats why I asked ;)

korven
11-12-2003, 01:06 PM
I dont wanna hack i play Clean

poffs
11-12-2003, 03:42 PM
dude the dll dose not alow cheating all it dose is let you play sc on steam there is a glitch with steam that gives you all the donar bonuses but it has nothing to do with the dll also you woul]d not be hacking if you used the dll cus you didnt actualy do the work to edit it if you use the dll nothing will change about the game but you will be able to play it on steam is all

Sgt. Hamilton
16-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Oh crap so i DID put it in the wrong forum in so stupid!!! err admin can you delete that post?lol

[EDIT] Ok now i have a problem with the dll's not matching...anyway to fix that? And i have the updated version of sven coop so thats checked.

[EDIT2] ok ok ok i read this WHOLE POST and now i want to know where to get the hacked dll..which is disturbing you shouldnt call it "hack" at least...makes other players uneasy lol.

poffs
16-12-2003, 07:31 PM
whell it is not a hack it is just a file that has been "hacked"but if you like we can just call it the modifyed dll

Sgt. Hamilton
21-12-2003, 11:11 PM
I've been waiting for a long time and no ones told me where to find that crappy dll !!! Where do you find it!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! :mad: :mad: :mad: GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!