PDA

View Full Version : Please, Someone, Do a map of the outpost from Starship troopers, Im but a coder...

Ev!
02-11-2001, 11:26 AM
Someone, Anyone, Do the outpost scene from Starship Troopers for Sven Coop, Cmon, It would rock, like 10 troopers (actual players) against hordes of bugs (or whatever) it would be awesome!!!

Cmon! I cant do it myself since im only a coder BAH! but cmon, it would rock!!!!

Basic Beecicchi
02-11-2001, 11:58 AM
Hey, Ev.

There IS a map.
It's called AlienBat.

From the AlienBat ReadMe [with all due respect]:

The map is based (very) loosly on the bit in Starship Troopers (the film) where the MI hold the base waiting for the dropship to land. There is only one type of monster (monster_alien_slave). This is because I like the way it thinks (???) - it runs away when in deep trouble, and generally looks inteligent! The map is set in a evening style environment, with lights in your base, and plenty of things to hide behind. There is also a 9mmAR turret located at the front of your base, which is about twice as powerful than the hand held weapons and can fire 360 degrees with it :)
The map itself was designed to play primarily on the internet, and so only 10 aliens respawn at any one time.
You start off with the 9mmAR gun with full bullets and without any grenades (they seem to scare the monsters making them stop firing at you and run off!). Additional bullets are found in your base. No health is provided, because im a nasty git and like people running out on a suicide run with 10 health :) You do start off with 100% armour though... No other weapons are supplied. If you don't like this - tough. but I only used the 9mmAR because that is the only weapon the starship Troopers MI seem to carry around (well, it fires some kind of bullet, and is dome sort of rifle!) ;)

You can find it at places like Mg386.com and most major map sites.

Http://www.Mg386.com
NEW LAYOUT, PEOPLE.....Site Pimpage!
[Why? Cause i really, really like his new place now. and it's filled with ENGLISH, too!]

Oh, and I'm Basic Beecicchi. Fanboy and Curator. these guys call me an idol, too. I'm just here to pitch in. Hope to hear from you sometime soon.

Malek
02-11-2001, 12:24 PM
Moved to Sven Coop Mapping.

KracKiwi
02-11-2001, 12:40 PM
wow, awesome site Mg386!..

..can't say the same about that AlienBat map though.. http://www.svencoop.com/forums/images/icons/icon13.gif

~Krac

Mr. Chris
02-11-2001, 01:27 PM
I'd say make the outpost scene kinda like in the movie and give the monsters more health cuz you saw it took like 40 or more rounds to waste one of those bugs

KracKiwi
02-11-2001, 01:32 PM
yeah.. gawddamn, now i want to make a sst map too! arrgg..

if i do make one, ill be taking scenary directly from the movie though.. and most likely have 2-3 sides of your base to defend.

~Krac

Ev!
02-11-2001, 03:24 PM
THAT was a pitiful map, Someone make a good one, after the movie, like exactly, with a big open area sourannding th ebase and all the multi levels like in the base, and the big towers, man that would be an AWESOME MAP, and dont give the stupid bugs ranged weapons argh!@

Mr. Chris
02-11-2001, 06:52 PM
have two towers with turrets so you have to waste the aerial aliens (give them LOTS of health)

As for the others, use headcrabs, zombies, bullsquids and alien slaves. How about a xen ship that comes across and transports a dozen or so aliens on the ground below every now and then?

Ev!
02-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Keep it StarShip Troopers, Not half-life. There was no xen ship in SST. Cmon, I dare a mapper, Step up, create this map, and claim your fame!

02-11-2001, 08:02 PM
I KNOW ONE!!! its called.... dropshipassult

KracKiwi
02-11-2001, 09:03 PM
ill do it... ill make the map!

when i have time, that is. :D (thanksgiving vacation most liikely).

~Krac

Ev!
02-11-2001, 09:21 PM
a few people try it, Then we just play the best map

PaulJ_85
03-11-2001, 03:06 PM
heh, I made it ages ago when I came up with my whole using Random things for a random mission selector based on Strarship Troopers...

HOWEVER!

there are no mosters in HL, that match the coolness of the bugs in SST.

What am I talking about?

well, the bugs would charge at the base and have to hit you with their claws...

Alien Slave - Shoots

HeadCrab - Too small

emm, Zombies are the closest to what the bugs were, however they move so slow.

- Hence - I'm waiting for Svencoop v.2 so I can add custom models ;) :P

Then it will be able to be done...

Paul J

DeathBog
04-11-2001, 12:47 AM
I'm thinking about amking a low-poly model replacement for the zombie for use in an SST-style map. This way, hundreds of monsters could assault the base at once. Sounds fun to me!
P.S. The original invasion.bsp, my first map(!), was initially titled sst.bsp, because it is similar in that monsters endlessly attack. I changed some stuff up and it became a whole different thing.

KracKiwi
05-11-2001, 06:05 PM
that would be freakin sweet db :D

~Krac