PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Memory (XP)

Mr. Satan
06-01-2004, 05:29 PM
I need help figuring out a good setting for VIRTUAL MEMORY. I have Windows XP (Home Edition), 160 GB HDD, 512 MB DDR (PC 2700).

I remember on Windows 98 you took your RAM and multiplied it by 2.5 or something to get your virtual RAM setting, but I heard for Windows XP you have some kinda formula involving your processor type or whatever, please help ^^;;; still getting used to XP :(

I'd really like to find out because things seem a bit screwy on my comp with video media...like...any video player usually locks up and I have to reboot my comp for everything to be normal. (Example Situation: Playing a video file in WinAmp, exiting winamp will "freeze" the program and like I cant access my start menu n about 90% of things seem frozen -- Although Windows Media Player doesn't have this problem, but every other media player seems to have it)

djmrmagic
07-01-2004, 04:50 AM
Your 2.5 formula is about right, just be aware that if you specify a size it wont grow if needed and would crash the machine. Only use this if aboslutally nessasary.

]SK[
07-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Sounds like windows in general tbh. Winamps fine for me though wmp 9 tends to mess up though.

Mr. Satan
07-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by djmrmagic
Your 2.5 formula is about right, just be aware that if you specify a size it wont grow if needed and would crash the machine. Only use this if aboslutally nessasary.

So do you suggest I set it to "System Managed Size" ?

Also, my main Hard-Drive is like 160GB and my Slave Hard-Drive (Which I use for storing large video files and alot of back up stuff) is about 38GB. Should I set anything for my second hard drive?

BloodShed
08-01-2004, 08:22 AM
my virtual memory (Aka. Swap file) settings are like this.

win98SE (Win2k or XP does'nt matter)
512Mb ram

Swap setting: 450Mb
why this high? because i play AvP2!

Always set the swaps minimal and maximum to the same size it will improve performens greatly

cscarlet
08-01-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Satan
Should I set anything for my second hard drive?
yes

dethstyl
09-01-2004, 12:23 AM
divide the v-mem between the two drives, ever since i got my slave and put half my paging file onto it I hav noticed a slight boost (speed wise) in programs opening and such.