PDA

View Full Version : Menu Crash

your evil twin
09-01-2004, 03:43 AM
When I play normal half-life in Steam, everything's fine, but when I try to play Sven Co-op 3.0, the game seems to start but when I move the mouse pointer over towards where it has create server and join server and options and quit, the game crashes, it's performed an illegal operation. It happens in both software mode and opengl mode.

I've uninstalled and then reinstalled Steam (with Half-Life being the only game), then played some half-life deathmatch, that worked fine. Then I used the full Sven Co-op 3.0 installer, but the problem remains. Could it be related to the little click sounds that play when you move your mouse over the menu options? But the crash happens an inch before I even reach the words. And I think that if I leave the mouse pointer in the middle of the screen and swirl it around a bit it doesn't crash. Something about the words on the menu makes the game crash! Aargh! And if I try to join a server directly from Steam, thereby avoiding the menu, the game instantly crashes.

your evil twin
09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Hey, doesn't anyone care? This is a serious problem! I know I've double posted, but I think you're all gits for ignoring this. Yesterday I had this in technical support, it got no attention, so I moved it to bug reports, still no attention. Please, does anyone know what is causing this menu crash?

Sniper
09-01-2004, 06:58 PM
Make sure your audio drivers are up to date. That'd be my guess if it's related to the menu sounds. Steam seems to cause problems for certain sound cards.

your evil twin
09-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Hmm, mysteriously the problem seems to have fixed itself, but thanks! I knew throwing a tantrum would get a response. :)

I connected to a server directly via Steam and the game started up fine, and the menu seems OK now too. However, I reckon it was sound related since when I started playing the sound was buggy, if there was a richochet sound I couldn't hear the weapon fire... but after changing resolution, suddenly all the sound came back. I had that happen in old half-life when I tried that other 3d sound option (not EAX, the other one whatever it is). My computer doesn't support it, and I reckon for some reason Sven Co-op thought that option was enabled even though it wasn't.

A different bug, not sven co-op specific: whenever a game ends and then tries to load the next level, it fails, with an error message saying that an error occured while trying to load the level or something like that. The game itself doesn't crash though so I simply open the server browser again and join the same server again, but it is annoying. It happens in half-life deathmatch as well. Any idea why I'm having trouble switching levels?