PDA

View Full Version : I am not a mapper so i wanna ask u a question

Honking Donkey
08-11-2001, 12:52 AM
Hey, im not a mapper so i dont know what the terms are so define or answer them for me

Entity
node graph

What happens when entity limit is passed like 1200?
whatdo node graphs do?
and what do compiling maps do anyway?
what if the maps compile is not finished or there was an error?

PaulJ_85
08-11-2001, 10:32 AM
Firstly an 'Entity' in simple terms is something which 'IS something'...

this can be anything from a light, to a player start, to a env_shake

A plain brush is just a plain piece of wall, if you send it to entity you can MAKE it something, eg func_water its now water... , func_door, its now a door, func_breakable its now a breakable object....

Etc...

A Node graph is to do with the AI. You can place info_nodes in a map as points where a monster can goto. If you want a map where the monsters will actually explore and hunt you down, placing info_nodes will be a good thing.

as the monster rather than just standing in one place shooting will actually almost explore.

Eg, have 1 info_node behind a wall, 1 in a space and 1 behind some sandbags.

where they'll go in the space to get a clear shot, move to the sandbags for cover then go behind the wall to reload.

Compling maps simply 'Codes the map'

If you save a map in World Craft it's saved in a editable language that WC can understand. By complining it creates the code for the lights, objects, entities etc and saves it as a BSP map file which Half-Life can read.

hmm ... Hope that helps :)

Paul J

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
08-11-2001, 05:30 PM
no offence to donkey here, but i don`t think he would understand that so i`ll break it down EVEN MORE..

entity = a thing e.g weapon,ammo, says stuff on screen

and errrrrr compiling, = unless EVERYTHING is perfect then it wont work, to sqeeze it down into a nice .bsp

PaulJ_85
08-11-2001, 05:33 PM
Heh, Tsk tsk, now your just giving him false info arn't you ;)

He asked

what does compiling maps do anyway

I explained it converted the code.

You explained it as if it was a compression tool.

Oh well :P

Paul J

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
12-11-2001, 07:14 PM
ARE YOU INSULTING ME DEGREE OF INTELLIGANCE???

Malek
12-11-2001, 09:45 PM
oh hell no, who would ever do that?

As far as I know compiling maps essentially compresses the data and makes it into something the half life engine can recognize... (I guess)

Rune "Viking"
13-11-2001, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by PaulJ_85

A plain brush is just a plain piece of wall

This is not true! You can use it as a light too without it being a entity (by messing around with the lights.rad file)

Undeadenemy
14-11-2001, 09:32 PM
Glad Paul already answered. BTW, havn't said this yet, but glad to have a mapper such as yourself becoming a regular here.

Comrade Joe
14-11-2001, 09:44 PM
My definition of compiling is a pain in the neck. I'd have to say the hardest part about mapping is compiling your map.

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
15-11-2001, 03:37 PM
no way hardest part is looking for little tiny errors and leaks..

GRRRRRRR, BIOTCH DAT MAKES ME MAD!!!

Doble04
17-11-2001, 09:41 AM
There are two types of entities, brush based and point based(is it point based?). Brushes are pieces of map geometry like a block or a wall. Brush entites dictate how brushes move/work. like a func_door entity takes a brush(like a wall) and dictates how it moves (so you can have a door in your map). Point based entities are the spawning entites (players, monsters, weapons, etc.....). Also point based entities include info entities which are a type of entity that controls monster movement.

empty
18-11-2001, 10:53 AM
Also, point entities include entities that, uhhhh, tell other entities what to do under what, errrr, you DON'T get what i mean. Like trigger_relays, multi_managers, multisources, and info_alias (in Spirit of HL).

Doble04
18-11-2001, 11:05 AM
If you want to say it in laymans terms, point based entities do the behind the scenes work.