PDA

View Full Version : Sven Co-op Crashing after install

Shadowclaw
02-03-2004, 10:39 PM
I installed SC in:

C:/program files/steam/steamapps/myemail@something.com/half-life/

just like I was supposed to. When I launch it from steam, all it does is crash when I try and start a game. I have no idea what to do or what I did wrong.

I loved playing SC untill this patch came out. This is such a huge let down. It used to be my favorite game. I was even thinking of donating.... why do I need steam when the normal way of playing works fine? I used to be able to just click on the SC icon and that was it.... now I have to sit there and go through all this extra software. TFC still plays the old way.....

:(

Shadowclaw
02-03-2004, 11:40 PM
It stopped crashing but now I time out allot...... and Im on a good connection.

cscarlet
03-03-2004, 04:29 AM
there is a WON version out

pc specs please

Shadowclaw
03-03-2004, 10:49 PM
PIII 450
384 SDRAM
Geforce2 VCard
SB Audigy SCard with EAX
USB Cable Modem- Conn. about 3 megs
WIN 98SE

I just reformated this PC, so its running well and no bugs as far as I know. Also installed Seagate Firewall freeware and Avant Browser recently.

Ok, I see that the install works for both Steam and Won. I tried it that way first and it didnt work (the won install). If I tried to create a game, HL would freeze. If I forced it to close, it would leave my screen settings all messed up with the resolution at 640 x 480, but the desktop going off the screen with the windows bar also off the screen. Then HL wont reload and I have to restart my pc to fix the resolution.

I did the full install that time, with all the enhancements and this time too. Now I have it installed on steam and its working.... but baddly. Now I can't even change the map without HL freezing during the load, messing up my screen settings in the same way. Man thats annoying.

cscarlet
04-03-2004, 04:16 PM
have you updated gfx drivers, windows own drivers for most cards just plain suck

04-03-2004, 05:39 PM
this is the exact same prob im having...

dang... its for every game and it keeps crashing everytime i try to load half life or any mod on steam...

Shadowclaw
05-03-2004, 01:29 AM
Ok....... I have no idea what I did.... I think its because I turned off my CD WR soft and my HP Printer soft, but its changing maps now. However, after about 3 or 4 maps, Steam SC freezes and this arrow I can move around appears over the screen. So after about 3 maps I disconnect and restart SC.

This remindes me of what happened to Battlezone 2. The first BZ was great and ran smooth, and then they started adding all this extra eye candy and special features in BZ2. Only problem was the system requirements were rediculous, and the AI units would look at a bridge, then drive around it and blow up after sinking in the water. Also it crashed and ruined windows, and had all kinds of bugs that PC Gamer critisized them for. Anyway, my point is that better isn't always...... better..... wait, did that make any sense?

What I really dislike is this whole Steam business. Its too complex. It should never had come to this. Why do I need a program to run a game? That doesn't make any sense. It just eats up system resources, takes more time, slower, not to mention a pain in the arse. I remember the simple days when you could just click on an icon, and wallah, the game started and you were in business. Now I have to wait for steam to load, wait for it to load the game, then wait for the map to load..... its a pain. This is totally unexceptable......

Dayglo
05-03-2004, 03:56 AM
Ok....... I have no idea what I did.... I think its because I turned off my CD WR soft and my HP Printer soft, but its changing maps now. However, after about 3 or 4 maps, Steam SC freezes and this arrow I can move around appears over the screen. So after about 3 maps I disconnect and restart SC.
If you run the game windowed rather than full screen you'll be able to see the error message that Steam throws up when it crashes which may, or may not, help identify the problem.

cscarlet
05-03-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Shadowclaw
Now I have to wait for steam to load, wait for it to load the game, then wait for the map to load..... its a pain. This is totally unexceptable......
hmm apart from the fact there is only one new program that whilst you are in game uses hardly any resources

Shadowclaw
05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Ok, its getting worse. SC just crashed 5 times right in the middle of 2a5e and 2a5f and this last time I got this scary message that said:

"Windows Protection Error

You must restart your computer....."

Then it shut down on its own.......

What the hell? Its never done that before! Ive never even heard of that error!

I'll try running it in a window.....

cscarlet
06-03-2004, 04:23 AM
hmm usualy a sign your windows installation is craping up, you are sure you have the latest drivers for everything on ur pc as I would expect microsofts own drivers to do this sort of stuff