PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problems

Fgyti
04-03-2004, 09:26 PM
My internet acts up randomly, like my ping shoots up to 500 on a server when I usually have 30 there. I use Linksys wireless and I think I have Comcast. My dad thinks it's Steam :rolleyes:

Ahura Mazda
05-03-2004, 01:00 AM
Playing over wireless is kinda iffy, its prone to spikes, issues
and running encyrption complicates it. I highy doubt the lag is
steam related.

Either go cat5 on that machine or if you already are, do a traceroute from command like "tracert ip/addy" do this over the weekend, check to see who(m) is the slowest responding node, anything over ~400 I would report!

or

download something like neotrace to do it for you.

Check dslreports.com and use their tools to diag and test
your line.

Also, check your rates, cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate just in case its not your isp, just your game configuration.

And last but not least, update your router firmware.

Fgyti
05-03-2004, 07:11 PM
My dad isn't convinced (he hasn't read this yet). Any way to convince him?

I also have a LinkSys wireless online thingy for ps2.

cscarlet
06-03-2004, 04:19 AM
erm wireless devices don't normally cause lag spikes, if they was getting interference then move it away from a anything like a tv and make sure it is not sitting next to ur pc, see if that affects it but its usualy the isp being crap

Fgyti
06-03-2004, 08:40 AM
He was correct about it being steam. We tested it on his computer. His internet is fine EXCEPT steam still has the bad internet thing. I think it's the update. Ever since that my Steam has been very very bad, also my internet is bad for some reason...

Rugal
06-03-2004, 12:49 PM
I had the same problem, so I bought a 100FT USB cord, problem solved!