PDA

View Full Version : Mapping for SV - Worth it?

Silence
17-12-2001, 02:18 PM
As those of you who have visited our FatFish site, (http://www.planethalflife.com/fatfish) will know, we've previously restricted ourselves to CS. However, the mapping community there is, frankly, pants, wildly over-competitive and generally ungrateful. So, we want to branch out, and are considering Sven Co-Op as a possible target area. The community seems strong, and the opportunities wide.
This is basically addressed to those of you who have made Sven Co-Op maps in the past. In short, is it worth the effort?

KracKiwi
17-12-2001, 04:54 PM
look at it this way.. when 2.0 comes out, you'll basically be able to create your own mini-mods for half-life (no coding needed).

so in short (and long) it is, and will definitely be worth the effort.

~Krac

Silence
17-12-2001, 05:16 PM
Good point indeed. Although if I wanted to code my own mod, I could do that. At least it takes the back work out of it. I doubt I could code anything as comprehensive as SC

Mad Gonesy
17-12-2001, 06:07 PM
Yeap, you definately want to map for Sven Co-op. Love the stuff you guys have done on your site. Really, although we've got a couple, we need a few more big community mappers making Sven Co-op maps.

Can understand what you're saying about Counter-Strike mapping too, way too many people working on maps for it, and a low 'strike' rate.

2.0 will mean a lot more versitality aswell, gonna write some stuff about the model replacement and its possibilities in the next couple of days, but it really is exciting for a mapper with a good modeller/skinner behind them.

Silence
17-12-2001, 06:24 PM
Wow! Nice to find a community on our wavelength for once. I, for one, await SC 2.0 with baited breath. Obviously there'll be some "down time" while we get to grips with the new array of entities but it'll certainly be worth it.
Keep at it, SC guys. You deserve all the credit you get.

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
18-12-2001, 03:27 PM
YES U GOTTA,,

if ur are good as u are as u are at fatfish, then u will DEFIITALLY want to map for sven coop, its a good challenge

as u have to get monsters into a single player map yet it also have to be compatble for up to 16 players and be as lagless as possible, hmm quite a challange

Undeadenemy
18-12-2001, 08:11 PM
Actually, I think they disearve more credit than they are getting. The community could really do with some increase in size. I'm sure it will though, as PHL has really been pimping SC a lot lately. Of course, I mean good, forum-using, non-idiot increase in size. If we have another generation of llamas like last summer, I think that, and the curse may kill off the rest of the veterans. I'm sure the anti-llama system for 2.0 is great, but there will always be loop-holes and people will find them. Wiether they be massive ammounts of llamas on servers that end up making the majority thus rendering votes useless, or just careless people who don't watch who they are voting off.

Undeadenemy
18-12-2001, 08:14 PM
I wish your team the best of luck with working on SC. I hope you'll let it become your main project instead of CS, we could really go for some quality maps right about now. Maybe you could even tell PHL that you've gone to SC so they might announce it thus getting more people to come play our MOD. Maybe, if it gets popular, more bigtime servers like Homelan (without the rampart llamas that fill there servers) could put up a server or two.

Arbron
18-12-2001, 08:44 PM
OF CORSE ITS WORTH IT MAN!!!! ARE YOU INSANE!!!

If people didn't think it was worth it then all of the maps would be killboxes with monsters.

Silence
19-12-2001, 01:31 PM
I think we've seen with CS what happens when a community expands too rapidly. The best mods don't always get the recognition they deserve - but surely it's better that SC players really love the mod and play it as was intended.
Well, I for one will be moving over to SC the very moment the next release is out - there'll be a press release on PHL to that effect, some time soon.

Mad Gonesy
19-12-2001, 01:42 PM
More publicity for the incoming release. More the merrier. :)

The main thing is that its great to have you aboard and supporting the mod, especially a group of your obvious talents. :) You switching to SC may even convince a few other mappers to try switching to the mod, and thats a good thing for the community in general.

If you have any needs or requirements, me or Sven will be happy to answer your queries personally.

Thanks for your support and hope you enjoy mapping for the mod as much as the other mappers do.

Sven Viking
19-12-2001, 05:50 PM
Hi Silence -- sounds good to me! Try not to build up too complete a view of SvenCo-op as a mapping platform from the public beta, though, thanks... many things aren't finished yet :/. For example:

- There's weapon-replacement, but you can't set it up on worldspawn in the beta, so it doesn't work with weapons given in the map CFG file.

- Unsure of whether the "sentences.txt" option in Worldspawn is working.

- No sound replacement system yet

There are a lot of useful things working, though. Health per-monster, models per-monster, per-weapon weapon models, though all on a type do the same damage, skill.cfgs per-map... glow shells are nice, squadmaker is really useful, various map CFG settings, trigger_random would allow for things that I've never personally seen in an FPS before, though few people have made use of it so far, friendly monsters are fun :)... etc.

Still, things should be much more complete and polished once 2.0 Final's released. No reason not to start now, though... all the more reason, in some ways. There should be time for you to grow accustomed to all the new options before we add even more.

Arbron
19-12-2001, 07:12 PM
When the community expands like CS most of the people aren't really dedicated to the mod. Also people may come in, join a server running a bad map, and think the the whole mod is bad a tell other people not to play it.