PDA

View Full Version : The New HW Entity

Edcrab
18-12-2001, 03:49 PM
Obviously I can't try out any experiments (yet), but I'm wondering about the HW grunt- is he a grunt "variation", or a fully coded new entity (Yes, I know it originates from the SDK, but who knows, SC may like their stuff differently ;) ) Plus, what is the HW's combat-style? Is their minigun effectively a higher-fire-rate mp5, or a wide-spread death sprayer? With new .fgd's I seem to have the habit of putting something where it doesn't belong...

Mad Gonesy
18-12-2001, 04:00 PM
He's a bit more than a variation. Completely new coded monster pretty much and has extremely different Charectoristics to the grunt. Really in a way, he's a higher level 'Tank' for the Grunts, chewing up enemies really quick. For the first thing, he's a hell of a lot slower than the Grunts, so don't expect him to move much from his starting position, maybe moving just a tadge slower than the zombies.

His gun operates on a cone of fire, so the furthur away you are, the less damage that you're going to recieve, bullets do spread out more over a wider area however so a group is more likely to suffer more losses.

Putting it in a mappers perspective, he's a good unit if you want to put pressure on the players in a tight area. In a open area he isn't even a threat unless the players get too close, when in all likelihood they'll just keep there distance and plug at the HWG with their glocks, as was shown in the Beta testing.

You do need to give the players the right weapon however, or they'll just get frustrated, attacking a HW Grunt with a crowbar when his bead is drawn on you is suicide, you get hit by a lot of bullets as you get close and should be dead by the first hit, even with full armour.

The best place to put a HW Grunt is in choke points, a la Shattered (you'll know what I'm talking about soon) where the players have to go through a doorway or a tight point. They can maybe plug the occasional shot at the HW Grunt, but it'll take a while. Remember to put cover in any area where you have a HW Grunt, he takes a second or so to spinup, and theres a nice feeling that comes from ducking behind cover just in time..

As with the other monsters, you can change his health and model, and there is a friendly varient with a new model.

Edcrab
18-12-2001, 04:18 PM
*grins like an idiot*

So two HW grunts about 8 feet around a 5 foot wide corridor's corner with only a cuboid control console and a few pipes for the player's protection would be hard to advance on? Good... *cackles* A new excuse to have three friendly grunts... with some custom models. I LIVE to skin! *laughs until realisation that 2.0 isn't quite out yet hits him* Oh.

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
18-12-2001, 05:35 PM
does he ever reload?

Sven Viking
18-12-2001, 06:08 PM
He never reloads... and basically, the only way to kill him without dying (unless you have a big weapon) is to duck out from cover, fire, and duck back before his chaingun starts up.

Undeadenemy
18-12-2001, 06:59 PM
Sweet. Too bad Temple isn't going to use any grunts at all. The HWgrunt could really slow the players up.

Arbron
18-12-2001, 09:01 PM
I think the HW grunts are a cool new inovation. Put two in a room and have the players armend with a pistol, MUHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHA.

LAW ENFORCER
18-12-2001, 09:15 PM
Duck and cover, aye?

Zealot
19-12-2001, 12:19 AM
while you're telling us about the new monsters, tell us about the baby garg, is he exactly the same but on a smaller scale or does he have differant attacks etc.???

also can you have friendly ospreys and apaches?

Arbron
19-12-2001, 01:18 AM
I think the baby garg is totaly reprogramed. And I think he has differn't attack type things. But I don't know.

Sven Viking
19-12-2001, 01:20 AM
He's fairly similar -- we didn't get time to add the kick attack :/. He takes damage from non-explosive weapons, though, which is a pretty big change... and does less damage/runs slightly more slowly. And he has a death animation :).

Phx
19-12-2001, 02:09 AM
I watched the anims for the normal garg and it falls over to apparently Valve didn't like that so they made it go boom

OT: Welecome back Arbron

Arbron
19-12-2001, 07:26 PM
I think that the baby garg should be a little more agile. He should be able to jump to the side or backwards to save himself from an explosion. His smaller size would allow this.

Undeadenemy
19-12-2001, 09:12 PM
Ya but I dont think the HL engine will allow this. One thing we do need for 2.0 final is the Diablo creature. It needs to be about the same size as the one in Azure Sheep.

Arbron
20-12-2001, 10:41 AM
That isn't how SC really works. Its bassed around the HL monsters and weapons with a few additions that could fit into the HL universe. You could see a baby garg, you could see an uzi, but you won't see Diablo.

Undeadenemy
20-12-2001, 11:23 AM
Not diablo from the Diablo games, Diablo is the name of the patherlike monster from the SDK. better know as the PAthereye.

MadBopp
20-12-2001, 12:16 PM
WEEE!!! can't wait till I meet a HW-grunt! :D

Arbron
20-12-2001, 12:27 PM
Oh, thats panthereye or somthing like that.

Sven Viking
20-12-2001, 04:55 PM
Diablo is the name Valve apparently gave to the red version of the PantherEye (it's its filename, anyway). It's planned.

Arbron
20-12-2001, 05:29 PM
Oh.

Zealot
20-12-2001, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Sven Viking
Diablo is the name Valve apparently gave to the red version of the PantherEye (it's its filename, anyway). It's planned.

it's planned? cool!
i always thought the hound eye was just too weak, and it was so much more cute than threatening! Now with the PantherEye/Diablo sometime in the future maybe they won't be so cute when they start gibbing you!

and apart from friendly models for the hw grunt and the ones we already have, what else is getting new frienldy models?

60 Megabyte File
20-12-2001, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by MadBopp
WEEE!!! can't wait till I meet a HW-grunt! :D

You poor little person, when you meet him you will be a pile of swiss cheese

BurnOut64
20-12-2001, 10:26 PM
If your playing a map and you hear a chaingun spin up really close to you, you sigh and get ready to respawn.

Arbron
21-12-2001, 12:18 AM
Or you look through the window and see your teammates become puddles of goo.

InFinTeY
23-12-2001, 07:59 PM
Hey i have view the baby garg model in Half-Life Model Viewer program.
This are sort of movement in baby garg: idle1
idle2 and 3 and 4
walk
run
shootflames1 and2
attack
stomp
180right and left
Flinchlight and Heavy
die
bitehead!?!
throwbody(omg!)
smash
rollcar(i wont want to be inside)
kickcar and pushcar(Duck Quick!)
bust
and compare to normal garg. . . it is more complicated and anyway who agrees with me that babygarg is cute?