PDA

View Full Version : nm_darkisland

NIPPER
03-07-2005, 06:35 PM
This is another one of my CS maps I decided to convert to Svencoop. I started this a couple months ago but lost interest and gave up on it. Then about a week ago I ended up playing SC with some of my clan members and was inspired to finish this map. :)

I had originally intended on this being kinda like the RE maps where you have to search around for clues and solve puzzles but I ended up just making it a big walkthrough map. This is likely to be pretty confusing as the map is.. well huge. Even the people who tested it with me, who played the CS version, got lost a lot.

Anyway here’s the screens and download:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/9770/nmdarkisland00053tr.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nmdarkisland00053tr.jpg)

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/420/nmdarkisland00105yv.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nmdarkisland00105yv.jpg)

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7563/nmdarkisland00125br.th.jpg (http://img7.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nmdarkisland00125br.jpg)

Download nm_darkisland (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ecc_files2/nm_darkisland.zip)

0000_Bender_0000
03-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Yay First Post !! :rolleyes: OOh another one by nipper. Looks nice. ive realy liked your other maps as well! This one looks like the best of them all to me though, especialy like that sky (little erie lol) Im gonna test this out and post comments later! :hev:

Qwerty
03-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Architecture ::
4.8 out of 5.0

Texture Usage ::
5.0 out of 5.0

Gameplay ::
4.5 out of 5.0

Fun Factor ::
4.5 out of 5.0

Overall Rating ::
4.7 out of 5.0

Sometimes it was hard to find something, since you had to go all over the map - but well done. I think it needs more general weapons than a hornet gun, crowbar, wrench, and shotgun..maybe.

There should be more themed maps, like this. Weapons (ie. bone, picax) fit the pirate theme.

Overall Rating Definitions ::
0.0 to 0.9 = Horrible, map needs a lot of work!
1.0 to 1.9 = Poor mapping, the majority of the level lacks effort.
2.0 to 2.9 = Average, needs some improvements and touchup in most areas of the level.
3.0 to 3.9 = Fine map, needs improvements and touchup in some areas.
4.0 to 4.9 = Very Good! Needs a small ammount of improvement or touchups.
5.0 = Excellent, Best Map of Showcase (BMS)!

homicidalape
03-07-2005, 08:25 PM
holla!

great map :)

Stoked
03-07-2005, 09:46 PM
Good to see your still mapping Nipper.
Another map for our squad to enjoy.

Qwerty
04-07-2005, 12:18 AM
I can't figure out what to do. I've gotten to the treehouse and read the paper - including the defeat of the newly spawned enemies around the tree house. What to do??

NIPPER
04-07-2005, 12:33 AM
after you kill the shocktrooper boss or whatever at the treehouse a little cave opens behind a bush at the bottom of the treehouse.

Dred_furst
04-07-2005, 05:42 AM
qwerty, it helps to complete the map before you review it :P

anyuway, this is going up on our server: Cafe of Rabid Snarks - 69.93.51.154:27015

looks like a nice map :D

Hezus
04-07-2005, 07:17 AM
Been playing it and the theme is pretty origional. Although I'm not really happy with how you build it up. At first the map is really interresting and the island is mysterious. Than after you killed the first bossmonster the map changes to some wierd crowbar(bone in this case) banzai race. Hordes of monsters, and some of them are totaly out of place in this theme, with retarded names and that kind of ruined the complete athmosphere.

I quit the map when I met a 2000hp pitdrone and a volti with a lot of hp only armed with a pickaxe. Its fun to do crowbar suicide charges sometimes but this is just too much of it, often you have no chance to keep your deathcount down. Normally I never quit maps while testing but this really got repetive.

The setting is really nicely done, and the island looks good, but its kind of a mystery to me why you chose to have such messy gameplay ? Why not put in less monsters and keep a more mysterious theme around the island rather than this hack 'n slash stuff ?

Rating would be 6.5/10

DjDemon
04-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Wow, screens look very nice, I love these nature style custom maps. Gonna play it very soon :cool:

NIPPER
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
We started to fly through the map when we were testing it, so I thought it needed more monsters :D

Most of the monsters go down with one big whack from the pickaxe. (I love “popping” monsters with that thing :) ) I upped the damage of all the weapons too. You should have the hornetgun by the time you see the volti and pitdrone.

The_6th_Monkey
04-07-2005, 10:46 AM
k this map could be really good but it is dam irritating, monsters with stupidly large health are a problem, another big problem is the way how only people who trigger the messages get them so everyone else on the map don't have a clue whats going on :rolleyes:

Another prob is when u find the dryads to talk to or whatever, a ton of monsters spawn at each entrance but barely any in the middle, this makes it difficult for any one who dies to get back into the main action in the middle and they therefore miss the cool bits of the map while fighthing annoying respawining monsters with stupid health at entrance points,
hope u fix this, could be a really cool map but at the moment it is just annoying

Also to give players a better idea of where they are in the map hows about put north , south etc over the entrace in that area so people don't get lost so easy and have to kill them self to see where they are on the map :wtf:

A gd idea would be to make it so objectives are shown at base on a func_wall_toggle at base when they are triggered so people can be reminded of the objective incase they were looking away from the monitor at the moment it flashed

Anyhow hope ya improve it cause it could be great

NIPPER
04-07-2005, 11:33 AM
hmm the game_texts are all "All Players".

Qwerty
04-07-2005, 11:56 AM
qwerty, it helps to complete the map before you review it :P
I already have, I just won't make another reply proving that my first post that originally said "Downloading" is a piece of SPAM, waste of space and time on the forums. -_- That's exactly why you almost never see my post count raising.

Dred_furst
04-07-2005, 12:01 PM
is there any chance of a .res file for the map?

Lt.JC
04-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Well I tested this map with a friend and I must say this map is supposed for an army of players! I mean we were just two and after the first boss I restartet the map and used my own skill.cfg. that made the map a bit more enjoyable. The map looks very good and sometimes it was very confusing where to go. But just like hezus said there are many monsters and some of them have too much hp. and the weapon well there must be more weapons at start. Overall I think this map gets 7 of 10 points from me.

0000_Bender_0000
04-07-2005, 01:50 PM
Ok Ive tested and it was fun and challengening (especialy since i was by myself) Took me a long time to beat, overall was nice, lots of enemies, good weapon models. Fun map id recommend it to everyone. Lots of enemies since i had a score of 348 and 32 deaths :wtf:

NIPPER
04-07-2005, 03:07 PM
You should play it with at least 4 people. This is definitely not a single player map. ;)

SuperLlama
04-07-2005, 03:23 PM
just to say

10/10

BOMS

Best of map showcase !

must be in 3.5 !!!!

Headcrab57
05-07-2005, 02:32 PM
Nice Map - played it together with a Friend, so 2 players. Very Atmospheric - just some of the Monsternames, I agree, disturb the Atmosphere.
We had no Problems to read everything - the Text was displayed to everyone.

I give it a 8 of 10 :)

]SK[
07-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Look forward to play this one myself.

Mirror for you...

http://files.filefront.com/nm_darkislandzip/;3930930;/fileinfo.html

Trucker
07-07-2005, 11:21 AM
Wow this mirror is great :D
Thats all i can say

CubicVirtuoso
08-07-2005, 07:08 PM
Good map. Nice puzzle feature very good job Nipper. Very good map for hours of fun. Lots of people on servers like this map as well. ResGen will not make the entire correct res file, it won't include the modelT.mdl files so make sure you include those.

Map on mapcycle:
Sveney!!! www.sveney.tk Sven-Coop East
24.57.35.100:27015

-bL!nd-
10-07-2005, 08:01 PM
Nice! To the Best of Map Showcase!!!

DjDemon
11-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Yeah buddy, I would too move it to Best of, its very very nice, nice ambience, models, textures etc. I really got the feeling of a lost island and the map has also a good length. Great, plz give us more like that to play :cool:

Hezus
11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
BOMSed ! ;)

http://www.goannasvencoop.com/Hezus/images/other/boms.gif

AdamR
20-03-2006, 06:54 AM
I really like this map. It has excellent atmosphere and effects. Great story line, and having to find weapons around ourselves. I love how you hide barnacles in trees, have seen so many people get caught wondering what the hell is yanking them up.

I can safely say this map will remain on the Wireplay custom cycle server's map cycle for a long time, along with my home server.