PDA

View Full Version : Micros~1 ICS + HLDS.....

Memran
28-12-2001, 09:09 AM
1st thing is a little very easy bit of help for ppl who want to run a server on the computer with theinternet connection and micros~1 ICS. ICS does NOT map ports up to 1024 so run your HLDS.EXE with -port [1..1024] and ppl will find your server easily with no port mapping

2nd thing is my problem....

i dont want to run my server on the computer with the internet connection and ICS. i want it on a pute inside my LAN but i dont know what im doing wrong.

i have opened ports 27000-27050 (TCP and UDP) and set it to forward to 192.168.0.4 (on my internal LAN) but its not working. i thought that ppl could connect using my public ip (static) and be forwarded to the internal ip.

Bob-o
29-12-2001, 12:07 AM
I had a bit too much to drink tonight, mind refreshing me on what ICS was?

ReGeNeRaToR
29-12-2001, 12:27 AM
I dont like ICS, im trying to get the samething done with a web server thru a 2000 machine, i gave up and now have Smoothwall set up. It is the greatest free firewall and internet sharer that I have seen to date, tis sooo esy to set up! but yeah, neways, try getting a different internet sharer program and see if that works. At work we have an exchange server a web server and stuff all routed thru the one adsl line, using smoothwall so, if you have an old machine lying around, try that out

da pretenda

ps bob-o, ICS=Internet connection sharing ms's attempt to get a net connection across a network, and failed miserably!!!

U musta had alot to drink alright!

Memran
29-12-2001, 06:04 AM

i will try it :)

ReGeNeRaToR
29-12-2001, 06:29 AM
aah sorry, just a minor detail i left out, Smoothwall is a Linux Operating System, It will delete every thing on ur hard disk first so it probibly wont be suitable for what you need. But if you have, say, an old pentium lying around that you can throw onto your network and plug your internet connection in, then smoothwall is for you, it is a fully web based interface and once it is set up, you will not even have to turn smoothwalls monitor on! For example, before this morning (pulled it apart for a rebuild), my smoothwall box had been on for over 25 days without it failing, at work we had our last box running for over 120 days, and even then it didnt need to be shut down exept for the fact that smoothwall had released a newer version of their operating system.

If you want to go to smoothwalls site it is www.smoothwall.org

If you cant set up one of these boxes then I dont know what else to use. Nothing else exept for hardware routers seem to be as good as smoothwall. So anyone else know a *good* and functioning firewall/ics program?

Sorry for the confusion, i didnt quite read your post fully.

Matt
da pretenda

Memran
29-12-2001, 01:50 PM
thanks again :)

there was no confusion, cos i heard of this and it sounds ideal except for 1 thing... currently my internet server is also my printer server so that would require a rethink.

perhaps getting a full unix os instead, like freeBSD (which i use at University) would work out ok.

:D

ReGeNeRaToR
30-12-2001, 05:45 AM
either that, or move the printer to another machine, that could always work. Before you go thru with the install make sure that you have a compatible NIC, i had problems with that before. If you have a realtek card or a pci ne2000 compatible one i know your right, If not goto the smoothwall site and have a look at the docos there

Memran
30-12-2001, 04:27 PM
yeah all my hardware is ok i think, i just need a new PSU for the old computer....

Lord Booga
02-01-2002, 07:42 AM
www.analogx.com

goto the software selection and pick Network - then find Port Mapper, that should do the job.

Memran
02-01-2002, 10:14 AM
noooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!1111

lol i just finished installing smoothwall about 2 minutes before seeing this.. :)

ah well, thx anyway ;)

Memran
02-01-2002, 05:50 PM
D'oh!

there is a known issue with the alcatel USB adsl modem within the kernel of smoothwall, making the the MAXIMUM upload less than 60 kbps !!!!!!!!111 :(