PDA

View Full Version : Crashing

the_velociraptor
18-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Sometimes, when I'm running Sven-Coop, it will freeze and I have to bring up Ctrl+Alt+Del to stop the program. It's happening often, and sometimes, while joining a server, or if the server is changing maps, Sven will freeze, and the PC won't respond. Not even pressing the power button does anything. I have to remove the power cord to shut it off. My processor is a piece of crap, so having to wait until Sven shuts down is rally annoying. This doesn't happen with my other Steam games.

Sph!nx
18-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Tried reinstalling sven?

Garompa
18-04-2007, 07:14 PM
my god, what the hell is happening with svencoop lately. People just keep making threads about crashings to desktop?

Is this some kind of bug?

well...I know these problems and solutions:
Problems:
1-random crash to desktop with "half-life has encountered an error and must be closed" message
2-crash with sfx_t error
3-crash without an error message
4-really strange image FUX UP, with green and distorted colours and such
5-really strange vgui ingame menu words go into a square of a single colour and you cant read
6-crash to desktop with "SC_getspace error"
7-crash to desktop or map doesnt start with "model overflow"
8-crash to desktop with "buffer -i dunno what-" error

Solutions:
1-You played too long. Half-life crashes. Hope they fix it in 3.5
2-Get some ppatcher patch if using won or just get steam and problem solved
3-Cant really say what the hell happened but maybe the same as 1
4-DO NOT take screenshots. you can only take 1 or 2 per game or you are done. If you take screenshots, go back to the menu and resume the game and problem solved, but after that you can only take 1 screenshot.
5-you changed maps too much, restart the server or something...to restart the game
6-map error, you cant do anything. well yes, dont play that map
7-map error, the same as above
8-something wrong with your sound acceleration or just half-life wanted to crash, OR map error.

cscarlet
23-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Make sure you have the latest set of drivers, also ensure you are not overloading anything, Sven is a very advanced game which strectches the engine to its limits.

What version of Windows are you running?

When turning off your PC NEVER UNPLUG IT, Always press and hold the power button in for 5-10 seconds for a safe shutdown.

the_velociraptor
24-04-2007, 08:44 AM
I have Windows XP.

JPolito
24-04-2007, 08:57 AM
Tried reinstalling sven?

Marb750
24-04-2007, 02:02 PM
My comp is a POS, too, but I rarely have problems like what you're describing... I would try reinstalling Sven as Sph!nx suggested.

It may sound like a "catch-all" fix, but there's a reason why - it does work well with fixing a lot of problems.

cscarlet: that is very good advise about the 5-sec power button! I didn't even know mine had that function until just a few months ago.