PDA

View Full Version : Beep Beep Honk Honk Hoot Hoot

Lotis
29-08-2001, 07:19 PM
A map, you are on a train in the map, the train has large open windows and doors along its sides, the train is a func_breakable (maybe), you must defend the train as it goea along and is pelted with monsters. Hmmm, what if there was some way to get on top of the train, if you jump on top you fly off, you will have to go under bridges, you must duck to get under if you duck to late you fly off. Hmmmm this sounds like a mighty fine idea wouldn't you say. I dont have time to do it my self im "preoccupied". But if someone out there is up to the challenge. If you do decide to do it you could be nice and put me in the credits for the idea, or you couldn't, it doesn't matter to me either way.

cooleyo
29-08-2001, 08:13 PM
All right lotis--i wont tell u all the story. But first of ALL(A LOT--ALL!!) do you have Op4?

cooleyo
29-08-2001, 08:18 PM
Its because if you really want me to defend, prove and give a link (plus a map of my own) to my point, i can right now. Just really, tell me if u have Opposing Force (Op4)

Lotis
30-08-2001, 06:02 PM
Yes I have opposing force.

Sierra Hotel
03-09-2001, 01:43 PM
its impossible to make something that can move, break, have doors that open, windows that are transparent, and can be climed on to at the same time.

Lotis
03-09-2001, 04:04 PM
in theory it is possible but im not the one who wants to figure it out

lenin
04-09-2001, 01:55 PM
In theory, maybe, but taking a moving object with doors alone will take 300+ entities. (I've learned this from a friend trying to make a ferris wheel with the same type of structure..) R_Speeds on that map would be excrutiating.

HaStE
04-09-2001, 02:42 PM
that would be fun if u have extremly much time to map

:D :D :D :D :D

DeathBog
04-09-2001, 06:44 PM
The only way to do those events is extremely advanced usage of the env_render entity or func_wall_toggle. Figuring out the algorithm with those entities is up to you, my friendly mappers.

chalupamonk
08-09-2001, 09:52 AM
Go play sweet half life, and look at the train sequence. This proves that everything you said is actually possible, save for the climbing (which isn't featured in that part of SHL).

For those too lazy to play it, it essentially is a part of the game where you're in a train, and you can see thru the windows, when you hear a helicopter. Another sci in the train opens a door (you'rea t the end of the train) and the heli is right outside, a few meters away. It then fires rockets at you and that train car is destroyed. It keeps destroying train cars until you blow it up with a rocket.

Inredible, incredible! :eek: :D

Sniper
08-09-2001, 11:10 AM
Actually that's just an old trick.

The WALL TEXTURES are animated, giving the appearance of you moving.

The Apache stays put, the train stays put, etc.

When enough stuff is blown up for a section of the train, the door on that section is "Killed", instantly removing it.

Just an optical illusion my friend ;)

Basic Beecicchi
08-09-2001, 12:23 PM
Snipa, is it really worth emulating on a multiplayer mod?

Or will serious LPBs be taking somewhat of a risk???

chalupamonk
08-09-2001, 12:31 PM
it may very well be, but it would work, wouldn't it? Well, at least for some of the aspects, but as for others....it's impossible, no?

DeathBog
09-09-2001, 01:13 AM
Pretty much any vehicle/gun/explosion sequence can be executed with the env_render entity. For advanced users only! LIKE ME! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Basic Beecicchi
09-09-2001, 02:22 AM
Hey, DeathAndy.

My SCRPG for 2.0 doesn't work. Sky texture messes up.

Any reason why?

Turrican
09-09-2001, 02:34 AM
thats one funky sky. worked fine with me. That thing happens on my brothers computer when hes playing games, the textures go all screwy. Its not the authors fault, your graphics drivers are not updated or some thing like that.

Basic Beecicchi
09-09-2001, 05:55 AM
Weird. Considering i don't have a 3d card in my computer.

Ah. Just wondering. There should be a mini-game in the spawn area. So people like me won't have to crash when playing the map.