PDA

View Full Version : Instant Crashes with Entmod

Lol-Bot
30-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Hi, everytime I make a server and my 2 friends join and we start spawning monsters and naming them dumb stuff like "heady pet lol" or something all of a sudden Sven Co-op just closes down and goes to the desktop with no message. It's really weird (the map is the_betterthanbest_entmap2) :confused:

slayer27
30-06-2007, 01:03 AM
It might be because someone is trying to spawn a monster they can't spawn. Like nihalinth or something...

^DiZnEy^
30-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Hi, everytime I make a server and my 2 friends join and we start spawning monsters and naming them dumb stuff like "heady pet lol" or something all of a sudden Sven Co-op just closes down and goes to the desktop with no message. It's really weird (the map is the_betterthanbest_entmap2) :confused:
Of course it crashes. Entmod was never ment to be for Sven Co-op, even if it is located on metamod. Sven Co-op simply uses a more complex entity system than Half-Life, it's classical version. It was originally ment to be for TFC, and even then probably instable, so you may imagine how it is on Sven Co-op.

Entmod is not a part of Sven Co-op and it never will be, which means that it will remain that instable, unless somebody dampens it by creating a specific Sven Co-op version of it.

Also, there are yet again many reasons for Entmod to crash your game, other than just simple, passive reasons. For instance, if your game crashes once you try to spawn an entity, for example a monster, then the problem most likely lies in the fact that a model or sound was not precached previously on map load or otherwise before the spawning. Assuming you know no mapping (as entmod users kinda should in order to operate it properly) and how the system here works; if a model or sound is not already loaded into the level, as in already existing in there some place, you will most likely crash when trying to spawn this. This is simply how it works, I think. Either it has to be precached, or it will crash you.

As I mentioned, there are other dozens of errors and instability issues located within Entmod, and these are unfixable. If you wish to play with Entmod, I would suggest you to use a normal Half-Life game and server, maybe even a normal TFC server (though, with TFC, it might not really be the same). Sven Co-op is really not the game to play with Entmod if you hate crashes, as they are quite inevitable. Besides, it messes up your Sven Co-op files and server big time anyway.

In short: Entmod + Sven Co-op = Not sitting in a tree.
I hope this answered your confusion. ;)

Lol-Bot
05-07-2007, 12:03 AM
Thanks, that helped ALOT :houndeye:

Qwerty
06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
And if you're going to use EntMod anyway, set maxplayers to 32.

Scotsman
06-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Usual crashes asdizney said are mostly when sounds or models are not precached, another thing that can crash the server is when there is too many entities above and when someone comes up from underground there is a sudden crash due to the entities..I should know I play ent

Lol-Bot
06-07-2007, 02:58 PM
And if you're going to use EntMod anyway, set maxplayers to 32.
Why set maxplayers to 32? :hgrunt:

Also.. if you do a map with a shock trooper and you change maps and spawn a shock trooper will it crash?

Qwerty
08-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Why set maxplayers to 32? http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33580

Scotsman
08-07-2007, 07:18 AM
Also.. if you do a map with a shock trooper and you change maps and spawn a shock trooper will it crash?

It might if the Shock Trooper is not precached on that map.

Lol-Bot
08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
It might if the Shock Trooper is not precached on that map.
So that means that if I do a map with a shock trooper on it, and change maps it WILL crash? :(

Telsect
08-07-2007, 10:32 PM
if you spawn an entity on one map, it will last only for that map. Everything gets deleted when the server changes map.

JPolito
09-07-2007, 01:56 AM
If the shocktrooper, for instance, is not already in the map (placed there by the mapper), and you try to spawn it, the server will crash.

Lol-Bot
09-07-2007, 08:37 PM
Okay, now I get it. Thanks everyone! :)