PDA

View Full Version : Lan game crashes when a client tries to join

K7a
06-07-2007, 07:21 PM
We've been playing Sven Coop on the cash registers in my store for years now with no problems, but now all of a sudden we are unable to host games anymore because of this problem. The game will open and run fine for the host, but the moment a client on another machine hits the join button, the server machine locks up and the client just retries four times and gives up. All three machines get this same problem. The game is being hosted just through regular half-life 1.1.1.0 (the latest won patch), and has worked great through lan for years. I can't think of anything that changed between then and now. All three registers are P4 celerons with Intel graphics and 256mb. Any ideas?

sixcentgeorge
07-07-2007, 06:40 PM
may be cpu is getting too hot , look inside the box and see if there are lots of dusts

Hezus
07-07-2007, 06:47 PM
We've been playing Sven Coop on the cash registers in my store for years now with no problems, but now all of a sudden we are unable to host games anymore because of this problem. The game will open and run fine for the host, but the moment a client on another machine hits the join button, the server machine locks up and the client just retries four times and gives up. All three machines get this same problem. The game is being hosted just through regular half-life 1.1.1.0 (the latest won patch), and has worked great through lan for years. I can't think of anything that changed between then and now. All three registers are P4 celerons with Intel graphics and 256mb. Any ideas?

The fact that all PC's suddenly have this problem, makes it hard to believe that SvenCo-op is the problem. Seems to me that something has changed in your network. You did any updates or changes to your software or router ?

K7a
07-07-2007, 11:54 PM
I don't believe anything has changed with the actual registers, but I have no idea what kind of VPN access corporate might have to our backroom server. The trick is, for a while we could host on some registers but not on others, and then all of a sudden the last register is now doing it too. So far as I was aware, a network problem would normally either A) prevent the machines from seeing each other or B) create some sort of error. Age of Kings still plays fine using TCP/IP Lan, we tested that. I'm going to try reimaging all the registers tomorrow to see if that fixes it, maybe something caused some files to slowly corrupt on all the machines. They are POSes after all. I'm also trying to get ministeam working to see if maybe I can find a way to get a 100% offline version of steam to work so I can ditch won, which would no doubt solve so many problems.

Needless to say, working in this store has been a joy the last 4 years.

K7a
13-07-2007, 03:36 AM
It turned out to be file corruption. Reloaded the whole directory and everything runs great again. Thanks for all the advice either way, though.

For the record, I did also manage to get a steam + svencoop working on a 4gb flash drive (3gb = svencoop folder) on a test rig with complete firewall and no actual installation of steam. I'm now trying to get around an OpenGL error on the cash register though, you apparently just cannot operate a steam version of half-life without opengl drivers like you can won half-life. If you can, I sure as hell don't know how. If this works, it means no more "out of sfx t" on the job. Management will be thrilled, I'm sure.
I'm going to assume I shouldn't explain the whole scenario though since I'm not sure how you guys sit on messing with steam in a standalone, no-registry entries sort of way.

In summation, Sven-coop was not the problem, it was something that deleting half-life and reloading would fix. Thanks again.