PDA

View Full Version : Help.

Nice1Geezer
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Ok, so, my laptop is in repair and i am completely ADDICTED to sven coop so i installed it on an old computer (win xp home ed)

Once it is all installed i start it up and i literally have to go to find servers instatly and quickly find one because if i take about over 10 seconds it will freeze up and i have to turn the pc off by the socket, because it wont even turn off using the button on the tower.
Also freezes if i have the console up over 10 seconds, im not sure if its the computer or where i downloaded sven coop from (file shack or something like that)

Any information would be helpful.

Thanks.

:hgrunt:

mod man 8
11-04-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure, but I would think that some how, one of the files is not compatible with an other on your pc. The fact you must disconnect via socket is very strange, though. Try running sven in a different way. E.g openGL if your using something else. Or, failing that, tell your pc to open up at an earlier date. This will get rid of all programs you have now, but it may fix it. That, or use a different computer. Not sure if this helps alot, though.

Marb750
12-04-2008, 01:15 AM
So once you're actually in a game (within 10 seconds) it OK? And you can play for awhile? Weird.

Hmm... I've had my share of problems, but nothing quite like this.
Everything's updated? Steam, video driver's, etc? Have you tried different video settings? (assuming you can get them set before it freezes)

When it does freeze, can you "window-key" to the desktop? How about "ALT + TAB" to another open program - for example: have something minimized when you run SC and press ALT + TAB to bring it up. If you can get to the desk top, you shouldn't have to power off to close it.

Side note:
I'm assuming "by the socket" means pulling the power plug and that your computer doesn't have a "reset" button... will it power down if you press your power button for 5 seconds? Not that it matters much or that it's better - other than not having to reach around or crawl under a desk for a power cord or surge protector...

Nice1Geezer
12-04-2008, 04:51 AM
So once you're actually in a game (within 10 seconds) it OK? And you can play for awhile? Weird.

Hmm... I've had my share of problems, but nothing quite like this.
Everything's updated? Steam, video driver's, etc? Have you tried different video settings? (assuming you can get them set before it freezes)

When it does freeze, can you "window-key" to the desktop? How about "ALT + TAB" to another open program - for example: have something minimized when you run SC and press ALT + TAB to bring it up. If you can get to the desk top, you shouldn't have to power off to close it.

Side note:
I'm assuming "by the socket" means pulling the power plug and that your computer doesn't have a "reset" button... will it power down if you press your power button for 5 seconds? Not that it matters much or that it's better - other than not having to reach around or crawl under a desk for a power cord or surge protector...

What happenes is, sven coop starts up on the main screen i have to rush to find and get into a server before it crashes. Once im in a server its fine.

And i tried holding the power button for 5 seconds, its completely locked up. Cant do anything.

mod man 8
12-04-2008, 05:51 PM
Hmm...
I did have a problem, where I would join a server, have the up down movment, but not move, or anything. Like when a server crashes mid level?
For some reason, I deleted my sven folder, when back to the recycle bin, restored, and removed a few custom models, and it was fixed. All I had to do then was rebind stuff.

Not sure if any of that helped, or if it was just a config file, but if it ment keeping my sven, then...

cscarlet
19-04-2008, 10:37 AM
Turn your pc off by holding the power button in for at least 10 seconds.

As for the crash disable any AV you have enabled and try it again and see if it makes a difference, its most likely an external program is interferring with it. Also if you have xfire turn that off and see if that works.

Qwerty
19-04-2008, 12:29 PM
/me thinks your computer's motherboard chipset is canned.

cscarlet
20-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Well does this issue happen in normal half life or in any other game?

Weret
18-05-2008, 09:02 PM
system restore to back when it didn't do that?