PDA

View Full Version : vista

blackzero
23-04-2008, 04:06 PM
does sven work on vista

Qwerty
23-04-2008, 04:22 PM
The real question should be that if Half-Life works on Vista, to begin with. I think it does, so then in that case Sven Co-op would. Sven Co-op will only work as well as Half-Life does.

blackzero
23-04-2008, 04:33 PM
srry forgot to mention that im talking about half life classic or is that the only thing the sven is for. if it is then ty for ur help

compuwiz
23-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Yes, it works. On 32-bit and 64-bit, I have tried it on both.

goanna
24-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Does work but people haven't been able to join my listenserver since I got my new computer with Vista. I haven't figured out what the problem is yet either so I don't know if it's Vista or some other BS.

blackzero
24-04-2008, 04:08 AM
ty because im getting a new computer that comes with vista but if sven didnt work i was gonna downgrade it.

Silencer
24-04-2008, 08:05 AM
ty because im getting a new computer that comes with vista but if sven didnt work i was gonna downgrade it.DON'T!
Vista is no good! If you are really willing to get it, please try it out on a PC of a friend that has it already first!
I also bought Vista believing it was better than XP, but it is not!!!

blackzero
24-04-2008, 02:04 PM
reason im buying vista is because it comes with the comp

goanna
24-04-2008, 06:31 PM
Microsoft is trying to force people into getting Vista by discontinuing support for XP next year.

WAR_Nuker
24-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Microsoft is trying to force people into getting Vista by discontinuing support for XP next year.

what the hell man. this is probably my favorite operating system. why couldnt they just make vista like xp only with a few more perks? im so damn efficient on xp and i really dont feel like relearning how to use this crap. i dont fucking want to.

toadie
24-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Urban myth. What's going to happen is they're going to stop producing copies of XP end of THIS year. The front line support for XP will stilll be available until 2012. After 2012, the authentication and online services for XP will still run (indefinately), but you won't be able to get over-the-phone service. It's all part of microsoft's support life cycle. The XP production WAS going to end as soon as Vista was released, but the takeup has been pretty slow, and XP sales are still pretty constant.

Anyhoo, yes, Vista still has some serious compatability issues to sort out (OpenGL for starters), but according to my Dell (Vista) laptop, HL and Sven work fine in XP (except OpenGL isn't native anymore :\)

blackzero
25-04-2008, 05:04 AM
thanks for ur help everybody if you guys play on ODD's server ill see you there

goanna
25-04-2008, 07:31 AM
Seems Toadie may be right I couldn't find the article at Microsoft warning of the discontinuing of XP and it's support. The article, at Microsoft, warned Win XP would no longer be sold by the end of the year and support discountinued after another year. Maybe they reconcidered this lame dicision due to Vista being such a mess.

Qwerty
25-04-2008, 07:33 AM
XP is not a downgrade of Vista. :wtf:
XP is an upgrade from Vista.

And those urban myths are quite true. ;( Companies like Dell suck up for this -- that is, when a new operating system that is newer than any other operating system a company has released is released, it is assumed that this newer one is always better than the older ones (because after all, the past is old times and change must occur whether you like it or not). They give everyone the assumptive idea that Vista > XP. That corrupts the world more, because "we" are only a fraction of the population. Everyone else is basically computer illiterate (in the sense not being literate to the point where they could understand how this business works).

People will always somehow manage to get their hands on XP after Microsoft quits selling XP. Or maybe Microsoft will change their minds.

EDIT :: XP is probably one of the most decent and perfect operating systems (ignoring the vulnerabilities and exploits) for end-users next to Linux and Mac. :) Vista is uncomparable...it's just so bad and inefficient.

Silencer
25-04-2008, 08:06 AM
That is why I am installing Ubuntu.

RNG
25-04-2008, 08:13 AM
Anyhoo, yes, Vista still has some serious compatability issues to sort out (OpenGL for starters), but according to my Dell (Vista) laptop, HL and Sven work fine in XP (except OpenGL isn't native anymore :\)

yeah Vista has yet lots of compability problems with programs, like most annoying for me is than Valve Hammer freezes the whole windows in totally random time and i experience lots of program "crashes" after they been shut (HL2, GIMP 2, Jed's Half-life model viewer). Somehow i feel we have to wait 5 years before we have it as stable as XP

AndY
25-04-2008, 08:41 AM
If you all remember, XP was pretty bad at the beginning too. It took a year or two, SP1, SP2, before it became stable/safe..

Every OS will go through that. Give Vista another year MAX, it'll be up to our standards. (I've been testing it since RC1, they've made a ton of improvements, I'm sure they're still hard at work on it)

Either way, Vista is the logical step forward. An OEM version of Vista Ultimate 64bit can go for the same price as XP Pro 64bit.. I would spend the money on Vista and just update when updates are released. I'm not willing to make Vista my MAIN OS yet, but in time..

Oh and.. About the XP myth.. SP3 is nearing release. I doubt they'd discontinue support so soon after such a big update :P

CPeanutG
25-04-2008, 09:07 AM
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?articleId=9070119&command=viewArticleBasic
June 30, 2008: PC manufacturers stop selling computers with XP installed.
Jan. 31, 2009: Microsoft stops selling XP altogether.
April 14, 2009: Mainstream support (free live support and warranty support) ends. Free maintenance is limited to security fixes.
April 8, 2014: All support for XP ends.

Also http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/24/dell-rumored-to-be-selling-xp-until-2012-ballmer-says-ms-can-w/

"Ultraportable OEMs will be able to preload XP until "one year after the general availability of Windows 7," whenever that is, and now we're hearing reports that Dell's telling customers it'll sell XP on professional systems until 2012. The Dell thing is just a rumor for now, but what's Steve Ballmer doing telling reporters that although XP is EOL, "if customer feedback varies, we can always wake up smarter" and extend XP sales? Um, Steve? Customers have been feeding back like crazy and Microsoft has kind of ignored them, remember? Maybe it's time for a quick nap."

cscarlet
26-04-2008, 02:16 PM
Tbh MS should release a workstation version of windows server 2008 like they did for 2000 for people who don't want all the bloat but still take advantage of its core features.

K7a
30-04-2008, 02:40 PM
If they make you buy Vista, I'd say just don't buy your computer there. I recommend custom computers for gaming 100%. Not only are custom rigs better for gaming and free of clogging trail software, they're also cheaper believe it or not. When I went shopping at Best Buy, the best thing they had at the time was a PC with a good cpu and a 7600 GS for about $1350. Bought a custom rig with twice the HD, step up CPU, XP, 8800 GTS, and a badass case for $1360. All the same warranties too (of which I did not have to pay more for).

Overall I've been happy with it and I'd recommend anyone else do the same if they need a computer for anything entertainment centered.

cscarlet
02-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Best Buy from what I have heard the biggest rip off for anything

K7a
02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Well, I wouldn't buy a computer there but believe it or not it's a good place to shop for a TV because of the financing and warranties. Their TV add-on warranty is the only additional warranty I'd ever recommend. It was like $250 to get a 4-year warranty on a $2500 tv, and I read their fine print before I bought to find that it even included moisture damage, in-home service, and replacement. Makes the warranties I used to sell at Radioshack look like useless shit (and they are nowadays). Also, I got like 3 years no interest on that Tv, which is awesome. If you can't casually pay off a TV in three freakin years, you have no business being in an electronics store.

I did also see a laptop there once that I almost regret not getting. It was like a Core2Duo, Geforce 8800, 200gb 17" and t-amp speakers for like $1200. That's actually kinda spiffy.

Qwerty
03-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I did also see a laptop there once that I almost regret not getting. It was like a Core2Duo, Geforce 8800, 200gb 17" and t-amp speakers for like $1200. That's actually kinda spiffy.Nah, don't regret it; I've seen better in closer proximity. Just keep your eyes on Dell (subscribe for their promo newsletters) and wait until a laptop with similar or better specs pop up. I've seen a $800 C2D with a GF8800GT, 500GB HDD, 3GB RAM, and plenty more...my cousin's laptop is almost as good as that, and he got his for I think around $1000 to $1200.

cscarlet
05-05-2008, 07:54 AM
Yes but Dell's explode and they charge a fortune for shipping, like they advertise a £300 laptop and charge £70 shipping

K7a
05-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Yeah, I'm not getting another dell. You're more likely to get better customer service if you buy your laptop from a Nigerian on Ebay. Don't get me wrong, the computers themselves are great, but their customer service is seriously bad enough to make me avoid them altogether after the experiences I've had. I've just had a much better time dealing with the mom-and-pop's shops. Alien laptops are good, but I could have sworn they used to be cheaper and better than they are today. We're dragging this topic clear across town btw.
On topic: don't get a vista computer to game, you'll be constantly irritated by its shenannigans.