PDA

View Full Version : Problem with mic?

theudude
06-08-2008, 11:14 PM
My friend just bought HL1 today so he could play Sven Co-op with me and he uses a mic but when he goes to talk his voice sounds REALLY different like a robot or something..I know that can't be normal because I was on other servers and people sounded normal..does anyone know how to fix this? thanks in advance

Marb750
16-08-2008, 03:30 AM
It' weird, I've noticed some people's voices sound like they're using some sort of voice modification (Alvin and the Chipmonks), while others sound like they've got a bad connection and are garbled; still others are perfectly clear...

I'm going to take a wild guess and say what you're experiencing is a normal condition of compression of the audio signals and/or a bit of loss (due to ISP connection issues) which translates to the sound you're hearing.

If you can understand what your friend is saying, be thankful - even with a good connection, a lot people don't realize their mic gain is too high and it sounds like they're deep-throating their mic - making it near impossible to understand what they're saying.

hrothunder
16-08-2008, 03:51 AM
The server needs to have the following two lines in the server.cfg, or the voice quality will be shit.

sv_voicecodec voice_speex
sv_voicequality 5