PDA

View Full Version : Does svencoop work on Vista?

h0rnytoad1
16-08-2008, 05:17 AM
i'm having difficulties getting my listenserver to show up in the server lists or being seen by friends.

works for hldedicated server (in steam tools tab) and the listen server created in HLDM Source both show up fine in the server list (dont know if ppl can join tho)

but svencoop 3 listenserver doesnt work, it doesnt let anyone join with direct ip either.

console commands given :
sv_region 0
sv_lan 0
heartbeat

i know what you're thinking, the firewall is blocking. it asked to unblock and i unblocked.

portforwarding is configured in my router (linksys wrt54gs) and it works fine on another computer (xpsp3) and on this one with other games (HLDMSource listen server & hldedicated server)

Does svencoop work on Vista, i never tried it before now?

monkeyknuckles
16-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Try running SC as administrator.

i.e. right-click Sven-Coop Icon. Choose Properties, then Advanced, then check
the Run as Administrator box.

hrothunder
16-08-2008, 01:51 PM
console commands given :
sv_region 0

That should be "255" or any locale code, not 0.

h0rnytoad1
16-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Try running SC as administrator.

i.e. right-click Sven-Coop Icon. Choose Properties, then Advanced, then check
the Run as Administrator box.

no change

And UAC is disabled since day 1.

No AV either, just spybot and adaware's services. dunno if they would interfere ?

h0rnytoad1
16-08-2008, 02:07 PM
That should be "255" or any locale code, not 0.

0 is for usa east coast right ?

thats local enough for me lol.

but i did try 255 (world) and all the local ones.

Nothing shows up in the server list in listenserver for SC3 under vista.

h0rnytoad1
22-08-2008, 03:08 PM
i unstalled spybot and adaware, klite codec, so unless there's something i'm missing, i really dont see what could interfere.

i'm not looking just to play, i want to host.

if any of you have successfully run a listenserver, tell me how you installed it, b/c for me, it just wont do anything, nobody see's it on the web and nobody can join with direct ip either. yet in xp (dual boot) it works fine.

Even In favorites tab when i type my wan ip or 127.0.0.1 it says "server doesn't respond" or "no games found". the vista firewall is off.

so its not a firewall issue, svencoop doesnt even respond to its self locally.

its a "ported" dos program after all i'm sure they havent anticipated Vista and its lack of dos emulation (win95+), and HLSource doesnt work with sven b/c it can't create a server.

so, please let me know how you managed to have a svenserver in vista.

hrothunder
22-08-2008, 03:30 PM
0 is for usa east coast right ?

Correct, sorry for the confusion.

Headcrab57
22-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Should be a Router / Firewall problem. Be sure you configured your Routers / Computers Firewall to forward the Steam/HL Ports:

TCP: 27030 - 27039
UDP: 1200, 27000 - 27015

goanna
23-08-2008, 03:23 AM
I've had the same problem since my new computer with Vista.

hrothunder
23-08-2008, 10:18 AM

I believe I misunderstood the whole first post. I thought he was asking about a dedicated server (which runs fine under vista, as long as ports are forwarded and ect.)

But I can't get any HL1 engine games to properly host a listen server, no one can connect directly to my IP, and no one can see it in the server list.

Blame Microsoft.

goanna
23-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Those bastards!!!

cscarlet
23-08-2008, 01:33 PM
erm r u sure u turned the vista firewall off?

AdamR
23-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Maybe its that windows defender shit?

h0rnytoad1
23-08-2008, 03:21 PM

wow, well if you're having problems in vista too then i guess we're all in the same boat.

Valve needs to adress this, best to write in , submit a ticket and all that,

unless someone knows how to patch for this problem?

Maybe its that windows defender shit?
are you having this issue aswell in v3 ? i'm sure v4 works since it uses the new engine,
but if v3 (Lserver) works on your side, we'd like to know how you managed to do that plz?
defender doesnt have anything in its quarantine zone. and i dont know where i could possibly find the log file for this.

the event viewer in vista is new to me aswell. any info on where to look for it ?

h0rnytoad1
23-08-2008, 04:20 PM
ok small correction:

"Even In favorites tab when i type my wan ip or 127.0.0.1 it says "server doesn't respond" or "no games found". the vista firewall is off.

so its not a firewall issue, svencoop doesnt even respond to its self locally. "

corrrection: i can see the svencoopserver in 127.0.0.1 (localhost), the vista firewall is off.
but i still i can't see it with my lan ip or wan ip.

same problem in hl1 (not source, but i am downloading hl1dm and gonna try to put svencoop in it to see if it works)

Raging_Wulf
24-08-2008, 12:48 AM
you can't see it with your WAN IP ever if you're behind a router. Only someone from outside the router, ie. the internet, can see your server using your WAN IP adress so trying that is a wasted effort unless you're having someone else doing it for you.

goanna
24-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Not only are people getting the "server is not responding" message when trying to join my listenserver but I get the same message when trying to join other servers, not all, just some. So far this problem only occurs for Goldsource. Source games don't seem to be affected.

h0rnytoad1
24-08-2008, 03:29 PM
exactly, HLsource and HLDMsource aren't affected, its only poor old HL1 dos in steam.

The way i see, there's not 36 solutions, dualboot vista and xp.

edit: raging_wulf, wrong my friend, i can see the HLDMsource listenserver in the serverlist in vista on the same machine, that is the server created "ingame".

cscarlet
25-08-2008, 03:16 AM
Might be worth logging a ticket with Steam support if only goldsource games are doing that, as I'm running XP I can't really replicate the problem.

goanna
25-08-2008, 03:20 AM
I was told that it's possible to romove Vista crap from the BIOS converting Vista back to XP since they essentially the same OS.

Edit: The person that told me about SP3 and DX10 must be full of crap, says he builds computers, cause I couldn't find anything to support his statement. Nothing is mentioned anywhere about DX10 being supported by SP3 so sorry for the misinformation.

cscarlet
25-08-2008, 03:26 AM
What DX10 is on SP3?? When did this occur?

h0rnytoad1
25-08-2008, 03:29 PM
i sent a ticket to valve, we're working on it, the usual blabla check your firewall, does hl2 work too, blabla

i'll keep you posted.

yunno, vista's been out for about 1 year and a half now, hasn't anybody ever figured it out before? i can't be the 1st one.

h0rnytoad1
25-10-2008, 05:49 PM
october 25th and still no news from valve,

stilll haven't heard from Steve at valve techsupport about his attempt to test sven/hl1 in vista.

i guess they dropped it. plus with L4D coming out soon, they dont have time to update hl1 either.

vista is the problem, not the game, but the game has to work around it.

it works for dedicated server, so why not the ingame server?

Marb750
26-10-2008, 02:24 AM
That sucks; yet another reason to avoid Vista.

h0rnytoad1
26-10-2008, 02:28 AM
yeah, its vista and it came with this puter, what can you do eh ?

and it figures, just when i post this previous message, and steam reports an update for hl1,

October 24, 2008 - Half-life 1 Engine Update Released

Updates to the Half-Life 1 Engine have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Half-Life 1 Engine

Fixed UI crash when running a MOD

goanna
26-10-2008, 03:09 AM
It seems there may be a simple way of fixing this, for me anyway. Had people joining me last night for the first time since running Vista. The only thing I did different was to lower my security from medium-high to medium ( the lowest Vista will allow). Don't know why this would affect a listenserver running Sven Co-op. Nor do I know for sure if that was what fixed the server problem or if it was simply the Steam update to the HL1 enegine.

h0rnytoad1
01-11-2008, 06:44 PM
cool, thanks for sharing the info,
i'll try it on my side and report back.

desertthunder
07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
I don't know what the problem is, but I'm running on a Vista Notebook and I can host, manage, and play on a server just fine!

-=ToX=-I34rnY
09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
same I have 64bit vista and can run listenserver fine

AdamR
09-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Sounds like a fresh install of HL1 and Sven Co-op is required for those it doesn't work on.

h0rnytoad1
09-11-2008, 07:31 PM
i've reinstalled steam/hl1, sven many times, its a windows problem hosting a listen server on vista, or an IE7 security problem as stated by goanna, i havent had a chance to try it out yet tho.

Sven Viking
09-11-2008, 08:45 PM
I seem to be able to host an Internet Listen server on Vista, but not a LAN server, by the way. Works fine on XP.

goanna
10-11-2008, 04:31 AM
Would be nice to know if it was the security settings or a steam update. When you get around to lowering your security settings let us know if it worked.

h0rnytoad1
10-11-2008, 06:19 AM
it doesnt seem to be a security setting, i tried with med-high and medium (ie: lowest setting for ie7)

But, i found the problem: Valve's ... hem ""brainiacs"" changed the Steam AppId codes for some reason or other and forgot to tell everyone, so they broke the serverlist!

Didn't anyone at Valve notice they went from 50 000 home made servers down to like 5 in a day ? :confused:

Here's the fix (pay attention to #3 and 4, and don't hesitate to put the text file in every HL based game/mod's folder) :

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739903&highlight=70+steam_appid.txt+svencoop+appid

They never cease to amaze me. Not :rolleyes:

My thanks to qUiCkSiLvEr

This worked for me, so let us know if it worked for you all

Sven Viking
10-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Ah, thanks!! I didn't know if affected listen servers as well as dedicated. Will need to post that in the news, too, I guess.

Jeffman12
09-12-2008, 05:21 PM
This didn't seem to work for me, but I'm still trying to run listen, does that only work for dedicated?

hrothunder
09-12-2008, 06:45 PM
A bit off topic, but I am able to run a listen server for left 4 dead and have internet clients connect and play with me. My ports are forwarded to my server computer, so it would appear as if valve has implemented a new listen server system in which port forwarding is not required for the l4d engine.

I wonder if they care enough about hl1 to implement this.

h0rnytoad1
09-12-2008, 08:12 PM
you're right it is off topic. hl2 based games are newer and specifically made for Windows xp/vista so its only hl1 that has this problem, wich svencoop3 is based on.

Anyway this fixed the issue for me, but i still can't wait til sc4, but in the meantime, L4D works fine.

hrothunder
09-12-2008, 11:15 PM
you're right it is off topic. hl2 based games are newer and specifically made for Windows xp/vista so its only hl1 that has this problem, wich svencoop3 is based on.

Valve has been updating the hl1 engine...

cscarlet
10-12-2008, 06:14 AM
They may be using upnp for routers that support it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Plug_and_Play

h0rnytoad1
10-12-2008, 03:28 PM
who's using upnp? valve?

have they finally started to use that?

cscarlet
10-12-2008, 03:54 PM

Anyway this fixed the issue for me, but i still can't wait til sc4, but in the meantime, L4D works fine.

Sorry I should have quoted the above, would be nice if valve added this to the hl goldsource

h0rnytoad1
10-12-2008, 09:51 PM
would be very nice if they did, it would make router and firewall problems a thing of the past !

AdamR
10-12-2008, 10:24 PM
UPnP is just a giant hole in security anyway... IPv6 worldwide would be a better solution, as each house could have many MANY public IP addresses. UPnP is also not intended for permanent servers anyway, I'd not want this on HLDS.

At least when you open holes in your firewall yourself you KNOW what you're opening and not letting some random application open up the firewall as it pleases.

h0rnytoad1
11-12-2008, 12:27 AM
If malware does get in then UPnP becomes a big security hole, sure, but security hole or not, thats not Valve's problem. as for permanent servers, no one mentioned that, we're talking about a listenserver. meaning while the user is playing.

its the antivirus's job to handle that virus in the 1st place anyway.

A simple solution would be to have a port tester built into steam, if steam detects that the installed game's ports arent open it should let the user know that this game or that game probably won't play as expected and give the port info to us so we can do what we need to do to open them.

A simple solution to a simple problem.

But no, we have to google the info, sometimes you don't find it right away have to search a while, a hassle just to play.

and just to steer the conversation back to the topic at hand, it would sure have helped to know if the communication was going out when i was having my listenserver problems. that port tester would have been a good idea ingame.

cscarlet
11-12-2008, 03:50 PM
I should have said I was aiming this at listenservers