PDA

View Full Version : *WARNING CODE RED* anti-hl virus alert

infector_gadget
11-01-2002, 09:18 PM
i have got to have a virus man. i checked everything, fine.

first hl doesnt install properly, then after reinstalling it it sais "modified please chekc fer viruses and reinstall"

this happpened before but thta was a different virus for cs, this one is ALL sc. everything was fine till i installed sc then bam, no wad files, no go.

i think youve been haxored

Slidje
11-01-2002, 09:28 PM
what operating system and virus scanners do you have?
winxp is horrible if you got that .

Sniper
11-01-2002, 09:29 PM
You probably have the CIH.w95 virus.

Please install Norton Antivirus (the best) or some other CIH cleaner. This will solve your problem.

Sankis
11-01-2002, 09:30 PM
i thought it was win95.cih? oh well, all i know is i hate that virus, its pure evil.

Slidje
11-01-2002, 09:35 PM
if its that virus . how do you remove it without norton . are ther any online cleaners?

Sniper
11-01-2002, 09:37 PM
whatever w95.CIH or CIH.w95

lol

Prod
11-01-2002, 10:06 PM
WARNING: DO NOT INSTALL NORTON SYSTEMWORKS
Anti-virus is ok, the rest is crap.

All programs that come with systemworks slow down you're computer. I had a 166 MHz computer that now operates like a 486 because of that. Be very cautious of Norton crash-protect. I will tell you you're computer is gonna crash and then the message crashes it. TRUST ME!!! IT HAPPENED TO ME!!! DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU!!! :eek:

Hezus
11-01-2002, 10:19 PM
had that message before, I guess it`s no real virus. HL is just warning you that the files have been modified. and that "could" be the work of a virus. You must kick all HL files off HDD then re-install. maybe there are some hidden files on your PC, then you might need to format.

Zealot
11-01-2002, 10:45 PM
yes, prod's right about nortons system works, especially crash guard (i reckon norton people makes the PC crash, then tells you just before, to make you think crashguard is working)

and i've got xp, it's not bad, xp may be bad for games but you can 'emulate' other windows, i.e. if HL is screwing around you can make it so it runs as if it were windows 98.

but there's nothing special about xp, except for if you press ctrl-alt-del and it shows not only programs, but also what windows is doing which you can't usually see and you can see what each program is using in resources and stuff, it's cool!

ShAdOw
11-01-2002, 10:59 PM
I had the same thing dude...

Download the trial version of Norton Anti virus 2001

95% of my sytem was infected with something called "fun love"

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
12-01-2002, 03:44 PM
u sure about norton, what about norton uttilties? it checks my regisrty and everything for file slowing down things and clean the reg. and has a super doper new defrag thing.

Prod
12-01-2002, 05:48 PM
I don't use any virus protection anymore. I just never had time to update it. Besides, whenever I found a virus, the virus protectiuon wouldn't be able to get rid of it. I don't have many viruses at all.

Sniper
12-01-2002, 07:47 PM
I didn't say anything about Norton System Works or whatever. I said Norton Antivirus.

It's a GREAT program.

infector_gadget
12-01-2002, 08:56 PM
w98.funlove.99999 was a wacko virus, i had that one from the cs site.

look, does the trial versionwork like the full or does it just run scandisk.

and is there anyway to kill off the rest of the hl files?

anyay it has to be a virus because it keeps slowing down me comp.

if i could find that sysmeter thing bob keeps talkin bout in the tech hole...

also, beware the mp3.txt generator, it keeps running even after closed.

also dont ediit the autoexec.cfg

infector_gadget
12-01-2002, 11:49 PM
beep worp zing

results are in, i have no viruses!?!?!?

i dled f-prot antivirus. demo version. still nothing.

why is hl acting like this and why is it not completely installing hl?

and why can i not uninstall because the uninstaller is in use?!

AntiBlockerzGrunt
13-01-2002, 12:00 AM
1 way:Uninstall HL, then delete the whole "Half-Life" or even "Sierra" folder. And then start reinstalling again. IF you did that already, that its getting strange.

(GIT)r-man
13-01-2002, 04:34 AM
Most anti-virus programs can't detect the CIH strain...
try http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/kill_cih.html (http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/kill_cih.html)

feric2002
13-01-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Slidje
what operating system and virus scanners do you have?
winxp is horrible if you got that .
WHAT DO YOU MEAN WINXP IS HORRIBLE???

Zealot
13-01-2002, 07:12 PM
it's just that win xp has some compatibility issues with some games, though you can run a game as if it were in 98, which will take away the problem.

i got win xp and it's not that bad...

Lord Booga
14-01-2002, 03:26 AM
It also has some lovely/nasty (depending on who you are) security holes in it, not to mention stupid implementation of raw sockets....

djmrmagic
14-01-2002, 03:53 AM
Originally posted by Lord Booga
It also has some lovely/nasty (depending on who you are) security holes in it, not to mention stupid implementation of raw sockets....

Yes the lord is right. If anyone is running XP out there, and especially if you've got a broadband connection, go to services and disable the upnp service. This is a major security hole.

DeathBog
14-01-2002, 04:50 PM
I used to have McAfee, and then I got Norton. Norton is SUPERIOR! You can actually leave it running while playing a game without the game running horribly.

GhostBabble
16-01-2002, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by infector_gadget
"modified please chekc fer viruses and reinstall"

Er, I had this problem once, I got corrupted verisons of the hl1108 patch (I/O error) but i was too fed up to dl another patch. I ran hl.exe and taada! "modified please chekc fer viruses and reinstall" msg came out, so I reinstalled and found an uncorrupted patch (after dling from over 30 diffrent websites) and I could play, everything was back to normal!

ArCePi
18-01-2002, 06:06 PM
I use McAfee Antivirus, and my system runs fast (Windows XP Pro), I can update it every week, and it detects (the removing is manual in the most of the cases) all the new viruses.

feric2002
18-01-2002, 10:03 PM
AAHHHHH!!! One day I downloaded this PSX tool and my McAfee virus scanner came up and said that it was infected with :eek:WIN95CIH:eek:!! I have WinXP Home Edition, but will it hurt it?

(GIT)r-man
19-01-2002, 05:23 AM
see my orange link a few posts up from this one

Leech
31-01-2002, 04:56 PM
I had the W95.CIH, too. Norton said that it only effects at the 26th of every month. I repaired the einfected files, before that date. I have a friend with that virus too (That thing spreads fast...). He hadn't repaired it till now, but nothing happend. So my question: what does this virus do?