PDA

View Full Version : Riddles

c0mm0n
12-01-2002, 10:57 PM
this one is pretty easy.

You have two jars. One can contain at most 3 gallons, the other one can contain at most 5 gallons. You go get water at the river and your goal is to get exactly 4 gallons. How are you going to get exactly 4 gallons?

A killer just kidnapped 4 people. Before killing them, he gives them one chance to save their lives.
The 4 people are placed in line facing the same direction, but there's a wall between the 1st and the 2nd person, so that:
- The 1st and the 2nd person see nothing
- The 3rd person sees the 2nd person
- The 4th person see the 2nd and the 3rd person.
The killer puts a hat on each person. One of them has to guess the color of his hat in order to save everyone, knowing that there are 2 red hats and 2 green hats. If the answer is incorrect, everyone dies. Nobody seems to know the answer. Could you help them?

1 more:

You have a cylindrical can of the sort that baked beans are sold in. You want to fill it exactly one quarter full of water but you have no measuring instrument and the can is not graduated in any way (though you can scratch it yourself if you wish).
How should you proceed

Sampson
12-01-2002, 11:06 PM
Ok that just hur my mind. Lemme guess, you took them from the game Mind Trap? I got that game, it owns, that seem like the type of confusing riddle on it

c0mm0n
12-01-2002, 11:07 PM
i got them from random websites. take a guess before you go searching! they aren't that hard!

Sampson
12-01-2002, 11:16 PM
Hmmm, cant figur em out, except is the first fill each with 2 gallons?

Heres one I remember from long time ago, but forget exactly so if u know it tell me.

There was a lady tat came home to her apartment complex and saw a man in the parking lot. SHe walked in and settled into her home. She then looked out the window and the man was in the same spot. Later she checked and he was still ther, still in same spot. This irrated her so she called the police. When the police got there alls the found was a a hat an som buttons. Who was this man?

Macros
13-01-2002, 12:13 AM
fill the 3 and put in in the 5. Fill the 3 again and fill the 5. Thus you have 1 gallon in the 3. Put the gallon in the 5 and fill the 3 again. Put the 3 in the 5. 4!

I dunno about the second one or the 3rd. Too busy to spend hours on it :P (or less depending on how hard they are.)

oh and sampson. Was it frosty the snowman (without his carrot nose, maybe it got eaten by a bird or something). The pudle could have evaporated by the time the cops got there.
Or maybe the guy left and dropped his hat and buttons on the ground :p

Doble04
13-01-2002, 12:43 AM
Stolen from Die hard with a vengeance!

Macros
13-01-2002, 12:45 AM
Exactly, thats how i know! :)

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
13-01-2002, 09:05 AM
http://www.riddlenut.com/show.php
over 700 RIDDLES!!

HERES one
The word CANDY can be spelled using just 2 letters. Can you figure out how?
its KINDA a trick one but its VERY clever how its done.

Sampson
13-01-2002, 10:36 AM
Donno the one from DM.

I never saw die hard wth avengance, I got the riddle from the game mind trap.

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
13-01-2002, 01:24 PM
ok the awnser to mine is below, look very carefully.

c AND y

c0mm0n
14-01-2002, 05:31 PM
yes! two points for macros!

here's a hint for the second and third riddles...

2: imagine if you were the 4th person.

3: you have to find a way to get half the water.

Lt.Kjilgore
14-01-2002, 06:03 PM
Are you sure you got the Q right? Shouldn't person 3 be able to see 2 and 4?

Macros
15-01-2002, 07:36 AM
well if you could get a second identical can then you could get a generally exact amount (try to get it so the water levels look even)

c0mm0n
18-01-2002, 08:21 PM
answers:

If the 4th person doesn't speak up right away, it means that obviously the 3rd person and the 2nd person have differently colored hats. Therefore the 3rd person should know that his hat is different from the hat in front of him and tell the answer.

Fill the can to over half full, and tip it so that the water runs out until it reaches just from the lip of the can to the edge of the base.
Now the can is one half full. Tilt the can upright and mark it inside to show how far the water comes. Finally, tip out the water a bit at a time, until when tilted, the water goes from the mark you scratched to the edge of the bottom.

c0mm0n
18-01-2002, 08:29 PM
double post