PDA

View Full Version : Moderative guidance...

Lt.Kjilgore
15-01-2002, 07:40 AM
Kind of a long story so I'm gonna cut down to the bare basics.

I am a moderator at another, new, forum (concerened with TFC). The forum is mostly concerned with our pseudo-clan we have created, but it is open to all.

Anyways, shortly I will be delivering a golden 'f()ck you' to a guy who wanted in to the clan. He is basically an asshole, people don't want him around and I get all the dirty jobs there.

However, some of the site staff have showed concern that he may be a hacker. I can't see any real evidence of this, and although an asshole, he is intelligent and I wouldn't put it past him.

I was wondering if you guys have come across this sort of problem before... As I said, it's a new site and the staff are worried in case it becomes the brunt of an attack.

Your thoughts, please...

Mad Gonesy
15-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Ok, you should be able to get his IP using the forum, and therefore his ISP. Hacking is illegal and banned by all ISP's going and can result in the service being discontinued and/or charges being pressed.

If it concerns you that much, make sure the site is backed up before you tell him, make sure you have a nice e-mail to his ISP composed (you don't necessarily have to send it to the ISP) and get his name/e-mail address as well as a few IP's he's used at whatever times.

Tell him about your decision. If he makes threats about hacking, forward the e-mail to him.. If he goes through with it, forward the server logs and then fill in the relavant details in the e-mail. Send to ISP. His day just got a lot worse. Your site can be put back on the server, problem solved.

Lt.Kjilgore
15-01-2002, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the response, I'll keep it in mind.

(GIT)r-man
15-01-2002, 03:07 PM
NeoTrace is a realy usefull program for tracing IPs back to their source and saving all the info as a text file (including e-mail addresses of those in charge of the IP traced)

If your e-mail account allows zip files of 1.4mb I can send you the full version...PM me to let me know and it's yours