PDA

View Full Version : I need a little advice..well..alot of advice actually.

Kitten
16-01-2002, 10:22 AM
first, ill explain..
Well, after recently having some troubles at home, ive decided to look for a job, and an apartment with heather, which might not seem too hard, but the fact i live way out in the middle of nowhere with no form of transportation makes it a bit tricky having reliable transportation everyday for a job.
So i went to my councelor, whom told me that they had a big head business woman there who helped kids by recommending them (considering their grades), and teaching them a bit about the job. Well, this isnt all that bad, so i planned on talking to her about a small job, something not too complicated and time consuming, that would leave time for my Network Technician course. The councelor had other ideas. He's told me he wants to go down, talk to my professor, and get recommendations from him, since he talks so highly of me during the faculty meetings. Well, my problems is, i really dont want to go into a technical career so early, since im still going through the course, not to mention i just dont think im up to it. Im not smart enough to do something like web design or technician for a full time job. And i told the councelor that, and he just gave me this look, and told me to write down some jobs i think i would like, but im not really sure what he means by that. Im just a little confused and a little scared, seeing as i have to get a job in a month or less, or im out of a home. but i guess my question is, should i go for the technical career, even though my gut tells me not to? Maybe you guys can help, because i cant decide. Thanks for listening..
so whats your advice?
much peace love and empathy,
Kitten
P.s. the downside of the technical career is that ill have to go through a little training period before i get paid.

Malek
16-01-2002, 10:50 AM
As I've said before, the forums are probably near the worst place to ask advice, however I have been suprised from time to time. Jenn deary, a technical career does pay well, however from what you told me on the rent of your place, it isn't necessary. (speaking of which I was curious, was the price you told me per person, or total?) I personally might do the career thing depending on how much "Training" we're talking about. However I am glad that things might be looking up for you and that you do have people there that care about you. (inparticular the faculty members of your school)

I know you'll make the right choice and I will pray for ya. Take care dear.

Kitten
16-01-2002, 10:57 AM
*sighs* and my day just got worse..but thanks for trying to help anyways..
Ciao,
Love,
Kitten

Lt.Kjilgore
16-01-2002, 10:59 AM
Although I'm a n00b here, I was in a similar situation... my advice is, follow your gut.

If I chose, I could have followed a technical career, I decided early on that I really couldn't see myself enjoying my job, unless it was concerned with gaming. This was far too much of a niche to be aiming for... To much of a chance that I would fail in getting signed up for a game development company and falling into being a 'network technician' or something (in my opinion) equally as menial.

I don't know what paths you have chosen at school/college/etc. These have quite a bearing, but they do not set anything in stone. Hence, the immense surprise of friends and family when I did NOT choose a computing course...

The thing to remember is that getting a job should be measured by how much you will enjoy it... Not by how much you may get paid. It's a cliche, but money does not (always) buy happiness.

Don't get me wrong, you may make a bad decision, you may end up on the wrong track... But I feel that there is less chance of this happening if you are aiming in the right direction to start off with.

My personal situation: My careers aspiration is to be a pilot. Careers advisors at school said it wasn't possible (bullshit, it is if you research what you have to do) and I was advised to go for anything in IT. I declined, got into a bit of trouble for it but since I left school I have made inquiries into the Army Air Corps, have had one hour of civilian flight time (50 hours are needed before I would get my Private Pilots License) and am close to reaching this dream.

I hope this helps...

Kitten
16-01-2002, 12:21 PM
Thanks. thing is figuring out just what to do as a job. *laughs softly* I always wanted to work in a flower shop...i know..im crazy..but ah well..i suppose what i can find....
thanks again...;)
Kitten

Basic Beecicchi
16-01-2002, 12:43 PM
Lemme get this straight.

The Gods have granted you this 'somewhat' moment of bliss, yet, you doubt yourself only due to how old you are?

I'd be damn lucky if i got that opportunity AGAIN.

[Yes, i had a similar opportunity. I didn't take it. I ended up miserable and my family curses me everyday for it.]

Jenn, think of it this way: You WILL be able to have your dream job....WITH the money you generate from the offer.

Don't doubt yourself. Sure, everyone's jobs suck, but it only leads them to where they WANT to be in the end. Look at me, i had to go thru 4 real jobs, while the dream job wants a damn degree in art. So? In order for ME to get THERE, i have to build up on the crap jobs. I still don't like them even as of now, but i did learn something odd on the way.

Think "Jimmy Eat World - The Middle".

You're not crazy. We're all this way. We want to live in a world where we can just tune in to our own selves. But, reality doesn't like that. So, we have to deal with it's bitter tragedies.

Lt.Kjilgore
16-01-2002, 01:16 PM
Of course, that is also true. Although I'd like to think I am reaching what I want, it is too early for me to say 'yes, I got it, I'm there'... I have a few options in front of me, and I'm still unsure what to do (go for the Army? or just pay for the flight time and become a civilian pilot?)

Either way, the paths I will have to follow will be hard and long... Either months of polishing boots or months of paying off loans for private lessons, working in some godawful job somewhere...

But the issue is, don't get yourself into a job where you hate it but can't get out. I've seen many people fritter their lives away on some job they are stuck in until they retire. But also remember, make the mistakes when you are young by all means, but don't leave it until you are old to fix 'em.
And hey, with the right location, a flowershop could turn in a nice gross ;)

Lord Booga
17-01-2002, 12:16 AM
!!!!!

Why won't people offer ME jobs like that?!?!?!

Seriously, im only 18, but if someone offered me a job like that (different IT field) i would take it in a second.

Kitten
17-01-2002, 11:14 AM
im only 17, hon, so theres not much of a difference there...then again, ill be 18 in a month or so..
im still not sure though..im just scared to take it...im going to talk to the business and marketing teacher and see if she has some ideas....
kitten

Lord Booga
17-01-2002, 11:57 PM
... just remember, this chance may not come again, so think hard about it...

Kitten
18-01-2002, 02:31 PM
I took my Network Technician Final Exam....and i got the second highest grade in the class! i got an 80...bill beat me by 7 points..but still!..im pretty sure ill talk to Mister Maxim about the job....thanks ; )
Kitten

Lord Booga
18-01-2002, 11:29 PM
well done.:D