PDA

View Full Version : Discuss the evolution in Defend maps.

DeathBog
18-01-2002, 05:28 PM
Alright fellow mappers, I have posted a few hints about making a new defend-the-fort map. I had some ideas and was wondering what y'all thought.
I am thinking about having 3 or 4 separate forts. If the team manages to survive (defend an objective or some such thing) for 5-10 minutes in each fort they are teleported to the next one. If they beat them all they win. I also plan to make new monster models, preferably very low poly so I can have a horde of attackers. What do you guys think?

Ike_Brovlofski
18-01-2002, 05:55 PM
It sounds good, but you have to make it a bit more exciting then normal horde.... shooting the same aliens everytime and a garg once in a while gets a bit boring, make hordes of low poly crabs, zombies and houndeyes, that would be sweet
and some mini or giant monsters would be fun too (like the weird giant bullsquid in mmm)

-Astamatara-
18-01-2002, 07:23 PM
Maybe you can make it so each base has something the monsters will actually go for.... like make it so they'll try to destroy a generator or something(I have NO idea how you would do it though).

Like for example.... prevent the aliens from breaching the bunker and destroying the supplies until the rescue chopper arrives.

Prod
18-01-2002, 07:49 PM
Sounds good, but I believe sc_bombrun will truly be the next evolution in defend maps, and it will set a new benchmark for the defend maps. Deathbog, I sure hope you get your map out first or it's not going to stand up to the standards set by sc_bombrun. :D The main thing I'm putting in sc_bombrun is A LOT of func_trains that have pre-set things occuring, such as firing a laser at a certain point. Also, The whole map will be randomized, adding replayability.

DeathBog
18-01-2002, 09:16 PM
Brovloski: I was thinking around the same lines.
Astamatara: I'll see what I can do.
Prod: A bit of a competition, eh? I guess we shall see who is the true "Mapper to own all others."
Also, I would not put an sc prefix in front of the name; it is altogether pointless and makes changing the map in the console a bit more time-consuming.
Do you plan to have everything (terrain, enemies, etc.)moving around the players to give an illusion of flight? Are the players bombing or are they being bombed?
Just wondering, Prod, have you ever released any maps for svencoop or other HL mods?

Prod
20-01-2002, 10:25 PM
DeathBog: Hey, hey, hey! Don't get hostile. This is friendly competition that will increase the quality of both our maps. :D

The sc prefix can be taken out by simply omitting it when I compile the map. :) I did say it was subject to change. :p As for the illusion of flight, I might or might not try to get an animated sky texture. If I can't, then it's a sacrifice I'll have to make. But the func_pushes should do an adequate job of simulating someone falling out of a plane. And yes the players are bombing. (See my sc_bombrun or Quetions/Suggestions threads.) Yes I have made 2 maps for normal HLDM as well as one map for SC, which was my first map dealing with monsters and such, so it didn't turn out well. Since then, I have made quite a few high quality maps, but I have not released them because I had to change to WC 3.3 and those were on 2.1. (2.1 began to have some troubles with my computer, so I bit the bullet and got 3.3 which is much better.) :D

Basic Beecicchi
20-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by -Astamatara-
Like for example.... prevent the aliens from breaching the bunker and destroying the supplies until the rescue chopper arrives.

I have that idea covered in a map i'm working on.

Undeadenemy
20-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Hey Prod I hope you can back that thing you said about Bombrun up, cause in case you havn't noticed Deathbog brought you Grunts and SvencoopRPG. Your map sounds like the hundreds of maps on MG386's site, 10 minute non-VISed nightmares.

I know what your trying to do, but I don't know how your gonna make that type of map decent. You'd better get started Prod if you only have 1% finished, Deathbog already has the advantage of being on the SC team so his map could get released with 2.0

Prod
21-01-2002, 12:07 PM
I didn't think it was "Prod(v.) Prod(me) with insults week," but if you must go on and criticize my skillz, do so. If I say I can so something, then I mean I can do something.