PDA

View Full Version : Rant...rave...BT b*st*rds

(GIT)r-man
22-01-2002, 03:17 PM
I know this is in Off Topic but since we don't have a "Rants & Raves" forum it'll have to do...

I pay over ten quid a month for a crappy off-peak internet service (BT Surftime....evenings & weekends) and have to put up with a lousy maximum connection speed of 44000k...
Now the usual 200-270 ping I can stand - barely...
Hell, I'll even play with a 300-350 ping - begrudgingly...
But for 3 days now I've had to retry up to a dozen times before my lousy ISP will accept my user name & password and then when it does, I find myself playing with a 400+ ping - on Mr_Magics English T1 server :eek:

called their status line only to be played a recorded message:-
"There is a problem with the BTopenworld & Surftime platforms...please bare with us as we work on resolving this issue"
DOH!!!!
they don't say!!!!

as if I hadn't worked this out allready
:rolleyes:

sheeeeesh....OK, I feel better now...got it off my chest
Thank god there's a good movie in about an hour on channel 5...no way I'll enjoy any SvenCo-op tonight (worse luck :( )

Edcrab
22-01-2002, 03:23 PM
I ping 450 on Mr Magics anyway :(
Yes, BT is a piece of shite. Unstable, slow connection, and it auto-disconnects after 2 hours anyway. That's why I went for there Anytime offer... to try and equal out the disconnections.
And if you don't live in the middle of London or <insert misc. UK city here> there is no chance of you ever getting broadband.
Hurrah, BT sucks. Takes me at least 5 minutes just to connect.

(GIT)r-man
22-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Funnily enough I can get BT ADSL in the middle of nowhere (Weston-super-mare)
but for £150 installation then £40 a month rental I can live without it...

wish I could get cable...that'd rule

Creeps
22-01-2002, 03:41 PM
I know the exact problem, except then with cable. I used to have a "cable" connection, that went slower then a 56k modem. it just coulnd't go any faster. all the time, the network was totally fucked up.

now i got new cable, 512k connection, yet again, the network is collapsing before my eyes. i see it getting slower every day, every hour. i used to go 64kb/s, now i go only 40kb/s...
damn assholes, in for the money, not the service to people (wich makes more money then).

now i got a ping of 500+ on all svencoop servers! it's unbelievable.

Mr. Chris
22-01-2002, 03:58 PM
get it Git, it's worth having low ping

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
22-01-2002, 04:58 PM
yup BT is pretty crap!! not the shitest but most defintally rates high, better than my other isp called ic24 it was A REALL! FREE ISP no small print jus sign up and no cash required BUT! it kiked me off every 1 hour and only let me on in sundays and took up to 30 - 100 dials to get on!!! very popular or jus low amount of phone connections they have. ADSL is a total RIP OFF!! i saw on watchdog ounce that ppl were getting pissed by normal stuff so they got adsl but it went JUST as slow, and BT also realvealed 2 secret projrcts called cobra and another one i canna mind the name, ANYWAY they were DELIBRATTLY!! slowing down their phone lines in adsl area AND other ppl jus to FORCE them to buy new stuff. (they should get sued!:mad: ) anyway
480 quid i think for ADSL for 12 months not including services and installation. well ADSL wouldn`t help me even ID i wanted it well i do but my dad is not prepared to pay da cash, and anyway they are only giving it to certain areas of the UK and guess wat i`am RIGHT AT THE TOP OF SCOTLAND SOOO NEAR LAND`S END and they canna get off their stupid fat ARSES TO GET UP HERE AND GIVVIE THIS STUFF!! ARRRRRRR U BT BUNCH OF SHITTY BASTAARDDS!!!,

ahhhhhhhhhh yes, vented a wee bit of enclosed rage right their.

djmrmagic
22-01-2002, 05:16 PM
Rman you might be saved!!!!
Last night in server I was telling you about Eclipse ISP.
Im going to have a look at these guys. They do a "wires only" service for £50 connection and £30 a month, WITH A 1 MONTH CONTRACT!!! Yes you can cancel after 1 month!!!

Wires only means that BT still re-route you in the exchange, but no engineer calls at your house. Instead of installing a box, its all done in a plugin now!! This plugin you can plug into any extention in the house.

You will have to buy your own modem, but its yours. If you want to change ISP take it with you.

Im going to have a look at this casue im the same i dont want to pay £150 for a BT connection.
For more info try www.eclipse.co.uk
or www.asdlguide.org <<<< These guys have a nice ISP list etc

Lt.Kjilgore
22-01-2002, 05:17 PM
I'm still waiting for the cold blade of BT to tickle my spine...

Creeps
22-01-2002, 05:22 PM
damn! and i thought the dutch isp's were bad...hell, compared to this, we got the fastest in europe! :D

Hezus
22-01-2002, 05:29 PM
I`m on crappy 56 K.. and I live in the middle of nowhere... There is no cable here, no DSL possible NO NOTHING !..

Well I tweaked a bit with rate and modem options, looked for a fast (less slow) provider. Then I had a ping of 200.. That`s very nice.. Then my Provider "Zonnet" changed to a national number. Now surfing goes faster but gaming is CRAP !

I`ve quit TFC due to lag. When I stand I get 250 ping.. when I move I get 350 ping, when I shoot 500-800 PING ! FFS !
I never play online anymore.. I`m very happy I bought all these PC`s at my home with LAN.. so I am able to play MP with almost no lag :) Around 20 ping ! that ownz !

Slidje
22-01-2002, 06:42 PM
get a hardware modem Ed . i was getting 350 ping in mr magics till i got my new modem . now i get 190 - 200 .
it only costs £18 .
R-man . our evenings and weekends package is so cheap its putting bt out of business . theyre trying to shove customers onto more expenseive services like adsl .
im not switchng from surtime cos its all i can afford and you cant get the package any more .

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
22-01-2002, 06:53 PM
no hezus I LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE! i predict that bt will get around to putting ADSL up here in around 15 to 20 years.

WHAT! a 20 PING ON UR LAN!!

i get 10.:p

Creeps
22-01-2002, 07:26 PM
but hezus is living in the netherlands, we dont have BT or what ever. we have got a lot of good analoge ISP's (Zonnet is not the best, but it's very cheap) the rest of the cable isp's are kinda...well, like 90% are actually FAST, but there service sucks monkeyballs.
and the ADSL isp's, where availible, are slower then cable but there service is better...
kind of a shitty situation. i myself have cable and the service is pretty good, but could be better.

Lord Booga
23-01-2002, 12:56 AM
ehehe... i get pings of 150-250 to my fav TFC servers... on a 33.6 ON A FREE ISP!!!!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAH *cough cough choke*

Prod
23-01-2002, 05:48 PM
R-man, you should be happy. I'll be lucky if I get a 400 ping. It's all 500-4095 these days. I never thought there could be a toilet big enough to flush all those entity packets.

cranberry
23-01-2002, 06:17 PM
i used to have bt anytime. but they yelled at us for using it over 16 hours a day...'mazing since its ***** hard to connect it and stay on for more than an hour at best. but they offered us free adsl installation so here i am, low pingin it. but yeah, bt sucks, but at least it isnt aol.

Phx
23-01-2002, 06:26 PM
You dissin AOL?:p Seriously tho from what I have seen here AOL is much better then BT:
1. $30 bucks a month(no modem/hookup fee)
2. I can stay on as long as I want (well AOL dosen't make me get off)
3. Reliable service (unless I am at my moms house then it just plain sucks)
Oddly enough even with all this I still hate AOL, guess I just need to lower my standards:rolleyes:

Prod
23-01-2002, 06:45 PM
AOL is laggy. I like the local folks myself, though they don't do a much better job. :(

Slidje
23-01-2002, 06:55 PM
no we get aol here . its the worst isp imaginable . my cousin was on it with terrible speeds . fastest download was 2k/s .
eventually got him onto freeserve which wasnt much better .
bt is crap , but it aint the worst . not by a long shot .

Gh0zt Fr33ma/\/
23-01-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by (GIT)r-man
I know this is in Off Topic but since we don't have a "Rants & Raves" forum it'll have to do...

I pay over ten quid a month for a crappy off-peak internet service (BT Surftime....evenings & weekends) and have to put up with a lousy maximum connection speed of 44000k...
Now the usual 200-270 ping I can stand - barely...
Hell, I'll even play with a 300-350 ping - begrudgingly...
But for 3 days now I've had to retry up to a dozen times before my lousy ISP will accept my user name & password and then when it does, I find myself playing with a 400+ ping - on Mr_Magics English T1 server :eek:

called their status line only to be played a recorded message:-
"There is a problem with the BTopenworld & Surftime platforms...please bare with us as we work on resolving this issue"
DOH!!!!
they don't say!!!!

as if I hadn't worked this out allready
:rolleyes:

sheeeeesh....OK, I feel better now...got it off my chest
Thank god there's a good movie in about an hour on channel 5...no way I'll enjoy any SvenCo-op tonight (worse luck :( )

Tho im a US citizen, i do use BT webhost, Freedom 2 Surf. I can never get many of my CGI files to work.

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
23-01-2002, 07:01 PM
yea i`am dissin AOL, its the biggest bunch of crapesy isp in da UNIVERSE!!, its soooo liars about in their adverts of alalala this is freee wholesome fammily isp. but really its TOTALLY shit and all the ppl on the adverts are actors and go WHOO WOW and their faces go like OOHHHH, then blue screen of death.. and its SOOO SLLOOOOWWWW. and ther own little program for mail and serching is soo crap.

cranberry
23-01-2002, 07:52 PM
*slips drunk monkey a sedative and tucks him into bed*
yeah, aol. hmm. what did it say on that ad? ah yes, high speed aol. now thats a paradox.

Phx
23-01-2002, 11:32 PM
Ahhh... attack of the Brits:p
AOL is America Online and I have no clue why they are in England as well, HighSpeed AOL is not a paradox, unless they don't have the DSL lines installed yet:rolleyes:

Dude
24-01-2002, 12:07 AM
LoL,my ISP has been having a hard time lately,i like em somewhat (sometimes 5mbps) but other times i get a crapload of connection problems...and for a few days i will get on a server and be ok for a while and then my ping will just go to hell...IE 1900-4000

Slidje
24-01-2002, 01:05 AM
bts desperate to get people off of surftime .
look at this spam i just got

It's called BT Together with unlimited UK calls*. And for a monthly fee of just £18.50** (when you pay by Direct Debit or Monthly Payment Plan) it lets you make unlimited evening and weekend calls to anywhere in the UK.

Prod
24-01-2002, 04:56 PM
This spam (not this thread) in OT is going to get OT nuked, and then we will have to rant about OT getting nuked in GD. Now can't we decrease on our 1001 ways to cook up spam in OT?

(GIT)r-man
24-01-2002, 05:24 PM
But spam tastes sooo goooood cooked :p

seriously though, and back on topic, I found a modem tweak that has cooled down my frustration somewhat...

Just go to control panel/modems/properties/connection/advanced, and type AT&F into the extra settings box, then "ok" your way out again...
makes the modem act like it's in overdrive...160-200 ping compared to the usual 250-350

:D

{DoA}DrunkMonkey
24-01-2002, 05:42 PM
oh hell, lets jus admit it! the goverments and watever u may have in USA and other groups have a milliiooon billion little groups for ppl to "come along" and "learnn to be a web wizard" "get ya own certiffakate to say u can move a mouse" and with all this crap ppl going on then its jus flooding the little phone lines and the internet cant keep up with these many ppl i think, it all really depends of when u go online, if their a lot or not?

e.g 4 pm 400 - 500 ping
4 AM! 160 - 199 ping ;)

(GIT)r-man
24-01-2002, 06:42 PM
yup...you're spot on there DM...

300-400 ping 6pm to 11pm...then 150-250 ping for the rest of the night :rolleyes:

Prod
24-01-2002, 07:32 PM
I can't get a connection higher that 14.4 kbps on my other comp (56K modem). How can I fix this?

(GIT)r-man
24-01-2002, 07:43 PM
The modem tweak I posted in the Tech Hole isn't only for external modems
http://www.svencoop.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3956

Can't do any harm to try...it'll either work or it won't

Lord Booga
24-01-2002, 10:23 PM
Just go to control panel/modems/properties/connection/advanced, and type AT&F into the extra settings box, then "ok" your way out again...
makes the modem act like it's in overdrive...160-200 ping compared to the usual 250-350

AT &F just sets the modem back to its factory defaults.

Gh0zt Fr33ma/\/
26-01-2002, 05:32 PM
R-Man, get ADSL, Ive heard BT's cable is unreliable. And, i tried Surftime using this comp, and minus the satellite com lag, it sucked. But d00d, get ADSL. I have At&t Cable (I live in the US) and despite the downtime with Comcast and @Home, its good.

Kaneda
26-01-2002, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately Freeman, most people in the UK can't get ADSL or even ISDN. Even if you have the money, the only ISP that reaches out-of-the-way places is BT.

Gh0zt Fr33ma/\/
26-01-2002, 11:15 PM
That really sucks.

I pity R-Man

Slidje
27-01-2002, 03:25 AM
im now having problems connecting at any time .
win2k give me an error saying the computer timed out while waiting for a compatible protocal or something .
it started about 2 days ago .

Edcrab
27-01-2002, 07:56 AM
Bloody typical.

It appears that Carlisle is steadily getting ASDL support. Well, that's fine, but half the Cumbrian population DOESN'T live in Carlisle, dontcha know...
Hrrrm. I have a few relatives there. I can "persuade" them to get it and then pop over frequently...

Damn BT to hell. They've got a monopoly on UK Internet which makes it so damn hard to find a decent ISP.

As for ISDN, bad news is it's more expensive than need be, good news is that I will be able to get it once I've sold my house and moved.

Gh0zt Fr33ma/\/
27-01-2002, 04:54 PM
Dont you guys get AT&t in the UK?

Kaneda
27-01-2002, 07:53 PM
They do, but under a different name (EMEA), and since the a in at&t stands for american I would assume their service there would be very sparce if not non-existant.

Gh0zt Fr33ma/\/
27-01-2002, 10:34 PM
I see. Well R man your screwed,