PDA

View Full Version : Widescreen doesn't scale fov

pierow
23-01-2016, 02:57 AM
The widescreen in this game doesn't scale the horizontal fov. It just cuts off the vertical fov. The fov command is also locked for some reason even with cheats on. This is a co-op game why do the developers care about being able to set fov? To play this game properly you have to play it in 4:3.

Valve supposedly fixed this with the steampipe/linux goldsrc update. I'm not sure if you guys have access to that build, but it shouldn't be a hard fix regardless.

edit:Apparently the command is default_fov. So a 16:9 widescreen fix is default_fov 106.

AdamR
30-05-2016, 06:09 AM
GoldSrc was initially designed for 4:3 screens, as 16:9 and 16:10 screens were rare for PC's back in the 90's. This means that the FOV degrees works horizontally, rather than vertically.

The effect of this is that when upgrading from a 4:3 screen to a 16:9 screen, rather than seeing more to the left/right than you would on 4:3 what actually happens is some of your view at the top/bottom is cut off instead. This is so that you get the same 90 degrees of FOV. (Or whatever default_fov is set to.)

To get the correct FOV on a 16:9 screen you must change your default FOV to 106. (As you stated.)

I've attached 3 screen shots showing this.

1) 1280x960: A classic 4:3 aspect ratio with "default_fov" at 90.
2) 1280x720: A widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio with "default_fov" at 90.
3) 1280x720: A widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio with "default_fov" at 106.

The visibility of the view model should be a dead giveaway. You can also compare how much of the ceiling you can see.

Those of you using 1280x1024 (5:4), common for classic 17" TFT's, will be most at advantage by default.

Anyway, I've been experimenting with the calculation today. I'll see what I can come up with, but essentially to fix this I see two possible options:

1) Make the FOV work on the vertical view angle rather than horizontal.
2) Calculate the real FOV from the default FOV figure assuming that it's for a 4:3 aspect. (An extra calculation required.)

AdamR
30-05-2016, 06:35 AM
I think I've fixed this based on possible option 1. I've attached 4 screen shots to show what's happened. All of these use "default_fov" set to 90, which is supposed to be the standard angle.

First take a look at 1280x960 and 1280x720: This is actually the wrong way around to demonstrate this, but it shows that the vertical perspective is the same for both 4:3 and 16:9, which can be seen by the amount of floor/ceiling visible and the amount of your gun and hand you can see. However the 16:9 screen shot shows you can see more to the left/right side than you can in the 4:3 screen shot.

Now take a look at 1024x768 and 1360x768: This demonstrates an upgrade from a 4:3 screen to a 16:9 screen using the same vertical height. This shows near perfectly that the horizontal view has been expanded rather than the vertical view getting chopped when changing from regular to widescreen.

(In both pairs the gun won't look perfectly the same because of the idle moving animation on the model. Also the view angles will be slightly different as I was only matching them to whole numbers.)