PDA

View Full Version : Flashlights from other players drop FPS

Snark567
23-01-2016, 04:49 AM
The problem is basically in the title. I have searched around for a fix but all I have found is lowering to software mode or using direct x (Which is not possible anymore). Is there a way to disable lights that other players emit?

GiGaBiTe
23-01-2016, 05:20 AM
There is a cvar to disable styles lights and flashlights (r_dynamic 0) but the problem is that it's a cheat cvar and only works when sv_cheats is 1.

I lobbied heavily have r_dynamic be made a non-cheat cvar for SC5 but I guess the devs ignored me. It's even more of a pain in SC5 because some genius made it only work if the server has a maximum of 3 players. I used to be able to run a plugin to remove the cheat flag, but that doesn't work anymore.

Snark567
23-01-2016, 05:26 AM
There is a cvar to disable styles lights and flashlights (r_dynamic 0) but the problem is that it's a cheat cvar and only works when sv_cheats is 1.

I lobbied heavily have r_dynamic be made a non-cheat cvar for SC5 but I guess the devs ignored me. It's even more of a pain in SC5 because some genius made it only work if the server has a maximum of 3 players. I used to be able to run a plugin to remove the cheat flag, but that doesn't work anymore.

r_dynamic 0 works only to disable enemy flashlights or does it disable your flashlight too? Also commands like these should be made usable without being considered cheats, it's so annoying when the fps drops because one guy decided to run around with his flashlight turned on even if the environment is perfectly lit. It's ridiculous it ruins gameplay and someone should do something about this.

GiGaBiTe
23-01-2016, 05:43 AM
r_dynamic 0 disables all dynamic lights, so your flashlight is included.

The problem isn't limited to flashlights, styles lights cause worse frame drops and lots of maps use those.

Snark567
23-01-2016, 05:51 AM
r_dynamic 0 disables all dynamic lights, so your flashlight is included.

The problem isn't limited to flashlights, styles lights cause worse frame drops and lots of maps use those.

Yeah just looked it up. This sucks so much, I don't know what can be done about styles lights but can't the sven co op dev team make it so when you use the flashlight it doesn't show up for other players? It's not the fault of others that the game shows actions that don't need to be showed, the light other players emit is not even useful so I don't know why it's a feature. I'm pretty sure I may annoy someone else when I use my flashlight but I can't do anything about it.

Damn I was so excited about playing this game again but things like this that still persist to this day just make me feel bitter.

Ultimaximus
23-01-2016, 09:22 PM
Yes, this is an immense problem for me as well. I play on a laptop which uses an integrated graphics chip... It's certainly not the best for more intense games like TF2, but it runs Half-Life perfectly fine. However, I slow to a crawl with these lighting issues, and on some maps that have flickering lights, it's so bad that I'm literally at 1 FPS unless I stare at the floor.

Upgrading to a better computer is not an option for me right now. I would really appreciate being able to set this variable, it'd ensure that I'm capable of playing every map in whatever group of players just fine.

Do we know why it's set as a cheat variable? Is there any way to even cheat using it?

Sniper
24-01-2016, 04:15 AM
Thanks for posting about this.

We'll be providing an update sometime today to let players change r_dynamic in multiplayer.

GiGaBiTe
24-01-2016, 12:03 PM
Do we know why it's set as a cheat variable? Is there any way to even cheat using it?

r_dynamic is a cheat for a good reason on other HL games. If you have a map with styles lights then the brightest period of that styles light will be used when dynamic light is turned off. This can give that player an unfair advantage since they'll have better vision of that area in the map than other players.

In Sven Coop, most of the time everyone is on the same team so it doesn't matter.