PDA

View Full Version : [Request] Friendly Fire option/plugin.

hiimnew
24-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Hello,

It's nice to finally see Sven Coop get the attention it deserves. The player numbers are skyrocketing on steamcharts, it's awesome.

This got me thinking: HL1 is not so popular anymore so why not just make a small update to re-enable turning on friendly fire or maybe a plugin.

Joined some servers running a last man standing map and a sort of team battle. It got me thinking again, I downloaded some random HL map, and ran it with Sven, It worked perfectly, the spawn points, the item spawns, everything. It just works out of the box. I think that's the beauty with Sven Coop, it just has everything in it (alomost) Half life had + so much more. I would venture to say that some total conversions from HL migth work with Sven.

Well, I know this goes pretty much against the purpose of how Sven Coop started, but overtime it has expanded so much, that sometimes I join a server and find a map that is in itself like a mod, it's like a radical change.

So, while I had the server open, some people joined and some of the vets were like: "oh look, this is a DM map, but we can't kill each other, lol".

I would be very happy and I think others would to, if any of the developers could re-enable FF or make a plugin that does that.

I also thought of another route, it involved contacting some guys that have experience and made those CTF/LMS maps, but then I realized we would need to probably modify the maps somehow to allow FF, which is not cool from many points of view, like modifying their work and individually making the changes to every map.

It's like the only thing we lack is friendly fire or a plugin making the other players as an enemy entity, like the monsters.

This would be awesome. If there's not too much trouble and some of the programmers could look into it, I would be very grateful :)

Thank you.

CryoKeen
24-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I would support such a plugin or update. Back in the day, over a decade ago when Friendly Fire was still active, it was a problem obviously players killing players instead of monsters. Now over a decade later it might be something the dev's should consider adding back. I think there should be a big sprite attached to the players hud on top that says THIS SERVER HAS FRIENDLY FIRE ON or some such. We don't want it getting bad again, but in certain circumstances it would be a neat feature.

hiimnew
24-01-2016, 02:28 PM
I would support such a plugin or update. Back in the day, over a decade ago when Friendly Fire was still active, it was a problem obviously players killing players instead of monsters. Now over a decade later it might be something the dev's should consider adding back. I think there should be a big sprite attached to the players hud on top that says THIS SERVER HAS FRIENDLY FIRE ON or some such. We don't want it getting bad again, but in certain circumstances it would be a neat feature.

What was actually the problem back then? I remember you had the option to turn it on/off when you hosted a server, and I can't really think of a reason why admins would like to turn it on on purpose, so they could have some guy shoot at all the others, effectively making the server deserted.

I can think of only 2 reasons. Some might have wanted realism and 2) pvp modes, which I doubt were many if any back when I used to play sven coop.

The only other reason, which I would dismiss instantly is someone hosting a server deliberately to grief other players. But that would be self sabotage. I see myself joining a server running a coop map, finding some asshole killing everyone and I would just quit.

If this was really such a big issues, a way to mitigate this is by having penalties. In many arena shooters that I have played, if there was friendly fire and you killed someone, the person could choose to forgive or punish you. Most of the time punishing was killing the killer. Now that I think of it, there were server mods/plugins for this even in BF/Cod, not just arena shooters.

Solokiller
24-01-2016, 02:44 PM
Friendly fire isn't implementable as-is. Support for it was removed to prevent it from being turned on. You could change player classes, but that will break maps.

hiimnew
24-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Friendly fire isn't implementable as-is. Support for it was removed to prevent it from being turned on. You could change player classes, but that will break maps.

Could you please tell me how to do that? I'd like to run a separate server aimed for classic style DM, that would only run such maps.

Thank you.

Solokiller
24-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Changing classes only really works for team based maps. For deathmatch you'd need more classes than there are, and they'd have to have hostile relationships set.

hiimnew
24-01-2016, 03:10 PM
Changing classes only really works for team based maps. For deathmatch you'd need more classes than there are, and they'd have to have hostile relationships set.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I found this https://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Player_Classes , but I really have no experience with programming, scripting or how to adapt/run those things. Can something like this be executed when hosting a game?

I would be happy with some sort of Team Deathmatch too. Like if you have 2 teams or more and have those hostile relatonships between them.

Can you make it happen, please :)

Solokiller
24-01-2016, 03:21 PM
That's for garry's mod, not Sven Co-op. By classes i mean classifications, which define the monster group that monsters and players are part of.

This person got teams to work, you'll have to apply the concepts to scripts instead of entities: http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/40725-SvenCoop-Deathmatch-Maps?p=492711&viewfull=1#post492711

Do try to use the constants defined by the game. You can find them in the documentation that we'll be releasing after the next update, which should be fairly soon.

hiimnew
24-01-2016, 03:37 PM
That's for garry's mod, not Sven Co-op. By classes i mean classifications, which define the monster group that monsters and players are part of.

This person got teams to work, you'll have to apply the concepts to scripts instead of entities: http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/40725-SvenCoop-Deathmatch-Maps?p=492711&viewfull=1#post492711

Do try to use the constants defined by the game. You can find them in the documentation that we'll be releasing after the next update, which should be fairly soon.

Thanks a lot, i'll do my best to look into it.