PDA

View Full Version : The server is made every time a LAN server.

thfus483
30-01-2016, 09:45 AM
:confused::confused:
16761lan unchecked.
But repeatedly
lan server creation.
sv_lan 0 also rejected.

Dynamite
30-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Servers hosted on your local network will almost always show up in the LAN tab with a local IP-address. That is nothing to worry about. Will the server show up in the Internet tab?
This site should give you your public address. http://whatismyipaddress.com/

thfus483
30-01-2016, 11:04 AM
server is show up in the only local tab

Dynamite
30-01-2016, 11:26 AM
What is your IP-address?

Gaucho
30-01-2016, 11:29 AM
What is your IP-address?

uh, posting that is kinda dangerous

AdamR
30-01-2016, 12:22 PM

The guy wants to run an Internet facing server, so for that to happen people (or software) must know the address they are connecting to.

P.s. Any website you visit will know your Internet facing IP address. Because they need to know where to send their reply to.

thfus483
30-01-2016, 12:50 PM
ㅇㅁㅇ...

AdamR
30-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Nothing appears to be running on there from here. Your NAT gateway must not be configured properly.

GiGaBiTe
30-01-2016, 08:29 PM
Make sure that port 27015 on the UDP protocol is forwarded to your server on your router. You can also forward 27015 on TCP if you want to use remote RCON.

You also won't be able to see your server on the master server list from your computer because most routers have security that prevents you from seeing your WAN IP address on the LAN.

BlueSpark
30-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Make sure that port 27015 on the UDP protocol is forwarded to your server on your router. You can also forward 27015 on TCP if you want to use remote RCON.

You also won't be able to see your server on the master server list from your computer because most routers have security that prevents you from seeing your WAN IP address on the LAN.

I have to use a crappy Virgin Media cable modem/router. I can see my HLDS in the master server list, both with the in-game browser and the external steam view/servers browser, so sometimes it works out.

BlueSpark
30-01-2016, 08:38 PM

If you run a game server, you actively broadcast/advertise your WAN IP. Just pick any server and right-click "server info"..

GiGaBiTe
30-01-2016, 08:52 PM
I have to use a crappy Virgin Media cable modem/router. I can see my HLDS in the master server list, both with the in-game browser and the external steam view/servers browser, so sometimes it works out.

Yeah you're technically not supposed to see internal network resources from your external network if you reside on the internal network since it's a pretty big security vulnerability.

Here's a defcon on how bad home router security is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r13ESXEfQVE

cscarlet
31-01-2016, 04:41 AM
Never put your machine on the DMZ.
Some ISP routers just aren't very good at port forwarding, my old PlusNet router didn't even try and since I moved back to me old mans place also found the BT Home Hub 3 router also doesn't like port forwarding.

BlueSpark
31-01-2016, 05:34 AM
Never put your machine on the DMZ.
Some ISP routers just aren't very good at port forwarding, my old PlusNet router didn't even try and since I moved back to me old mans place also found the BT Home Hub 3 router also doesn't like port forwarding.

There's so many instances of broken port-forwarding (which *never* get fixed, regardless of updates) that I have come to believe it's an ISP conspiracy!

They don't want you running bandwidth-consuming severs, they want you to pay monthly for 12MB/s and then use google and facebook for 20mins..

Lol, or more likely they farm out the authouring of their customized router firmware to Norbert the tea-boy.