PDA

View Full Version : High ping/latency after dying

NoXion
07-02-2016, 11:21 PM
Hi there, I posted this problem (http://forums.svencoop.com/showthread.php/42805-5-0-servers-not-appearing) back when SC 5.0 was released, but I found a workaround by using Steam to browse for servers rather than doing it in-game. No idea why that would work, but hey, it works.

But since then I've had a different problem. When I join a server I'll have a low ping, often less than 100ms and sometimes even below 20, but the moment I die or get killed, my ping shoots up into the thousands, and the only way I've found that I can fix that is to reconnect to the server, which resets my score. Now while this is better than not being able to play at all, it just doesn't make any damn sense so I'd like a solution or at least an explanation.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so, do you have any thoughts?

I've tried shutting down every other program that uses the internet, and still the problem persists. I've tried mucking around with the rate, cl_cmdrate and cl_updaterate settings and they either make no difference or just make things worse.

Now it could be my wireless connection, but it's previously been the case that I've been able to play Synergy well enough on the same connection with the same ISP (Sky Broadband) using the same computer. I can't connect to the router directly because it's in a neighbour's flat (I can use his connection in return for paying part of the bill) so there's no way I'll be able to run a cable to there from my bedroom.

It's just so weird how it goes from one extreme to the other. Help would be appreciated.

BlueSpark
08-02-2016, 05:16 AM
Does this only happen when you die? Have you experienced it ever on joining? Are you playing a LAN game or online, and if online, was the server empty or full?

NoXion
08-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Does this only happen when you die? Have you experienced it ever on joining? Are you playing a LAN game or online, and if online, was the server empty or full?

I've had lag spikes at other times, but they've been transient as far as I can remember. But I consistently get awful ping after I die, well into the red. When I first join an online server is actually the best in terms of ping times. It seems to happen no matter how many players there are on the server, although I might be able to respawn once or twice if there is only one maybe two other players on the server. If the respawn countdown doesn't work properly, then the only way to rectify the problem is to reconnect to the server. Then it will be fine again.

This happens across multiple different servers, so I don't think the problem is at their end.

Thanks for responding.

Solokiller
08-02-2016, 06:14 AM
The problem is somewhere in the game. Something keeps sending too much data when you're dead.

NoXion
08-02-2016, 06:50 AM
The problem is somewhere in the game. Something keeps sending too much data when you're dead.

Is it something I could fix for myself, or will I have to wait for an update of some kind?

Solokiller
08-02-2016, 06:54 AM
Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait.

NoXion
08-02-2016, 06:59 AM
Unfortunately, you're going to have to wait.

I'm perfectly happy to wait if it indeed does mean that it will be fixed. Good to see that it's a recognised problem.