PDA

View Full Version : HELP

loneranger1114
26-02-2016, 12:28 AM
I was playing Sven Co op and was trying to change my character model. I chose a robot with a red eye but as soon as I hit "enter" the screen got super BIG and everything went off screen except "options" and "quit", I had to quit but the only way was to go above and over the actual button to get it highlighted. If I hit CTRL ALT DLT my whole computer would be off screen and JUMBO and I would have to shut down by turning off my computer improperly. Ive tried EVERYTHING. Ive uninstalled and reinstalled the game Ive deleted game files, and tried to change the resolution. I was playing in software mode because Open GL lagged on my computer. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I don't want to leave anything out. Im using Windows 7. I love this game but have gotten so frustrated trying to fix this that Im about to just give up. Its not just a little big or a little off screen, its HUGE!!! Please let me know what I can do to fix this so I can start playing the game again.

BlueSpark
26-02-2016, 03:15 AM
You must use OpenGL for Sven Co-op. If it 'lags your computer' because you don't have a separate video card, or your video card handles OpenGL poorly, then you're going to have to upgrade or use a different PC. Software mode isn't the answer.

If your PC is good enough to run Win7, it is certainly good enough to run Sven Co-op without problems. Your problem is your graphics capabilities. What graphics card do you have, and what is your PC model?

Silencer
26-02-2016, 03:47 AM
To be precise, the performance problems are about 1) the engine not using modern rendering techniques and 2) drivers. Letting Intel's driver update tool do its thing has improved performance for me significantly, even though only some chipset drivers that I had thought to be unrelated to graphics processing were installed. At any rate, you should use OpenGL. The software rendering option will go sooner or later.

Solokiller
26-02-2016, 04:34 AM
Indeed, we are planning to remove Software mode altogether, so don't rely on it.

loneranger1114
26-02-2016, 05:32 PM
So will it be fixed when you remove software mode?????

loneranger1114
26-02-2016, 11:14 PM
i cant change to GL mode. Lagging isnt my actual problem. its the big screen, thats what i need help with

loneranger1114
26-02-2016, 11:21 PM
16983 this is what my screen looks like and its HUGE

CryoKeen
26-02-2016, 11:59 PM
try right click Sven Co-op > Properties > Set Launch Options > -w 768 -h 614

its something like that heres some other launch options https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1040-JWMT-2947

you could also try throwing -windowed mode in there see if that does anything helpful

GiGaBiTe
27-02-2016, 12:53 AM
Indeed, we are planning to remove Software mode altogether, so don't rely on it.

Instead of removing it completely, just remove it from the video configuration menu and make it a command line option only via "-software"

While software mode is buggy, it works way better on some older machines than OpenGL does. The post-Steampipe OpenGL implementation is awful on older cards compared to the original OpenGL renderer pre-Steampipe.

Sure, certain effects don't look right or won't appear, but at least the game is playable.

AdamR
27-02-2016, 06:42 AM
The reason we have to remove it is that it's completely incompatible with any VC++ compiler after Visual Studio 6, of which is aimed at Windows 98. Being able to use modern C++ features of C++11 will require its removal.

SourceSkyBoxer
27-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Ah good point!

For Sven Coop developers, but why do you not use Half-Life SDK from Githurb because it is fresh and support to open Visual C++ 2010!
It looks Half-Life SDk from Guthurb has SDL support. And it does need to happen if after download starts to normal window or fullscreen detections. That is why Cry of Fear and Sven Coop has outdated Half-life SDK 2.3 :( They can not detect if you see wrong screen.

@Sven Coop developers only:
Please move to Half-Life SDK from Githurb and your written codes to Half-Life SDK from Githurb. Than you can try to screen. Since new version of Half-Life started fresh like HL has SDL.

Solokiller
27-02-2016, 09:47 AM
The SDK on Github is game code only, which we've already updated to work in VS2015. The problems we had were in the engine, of which there is no version that works out of the box in newer versions of Visual Studio. Also, starting over would take an enormous amount of time.

AdamR
27-02-2016, 10:55 AM
Some components of the engine do compile on modern C++ but the others will be a serious challenge.